Interesting Full Disp Trawler

The friendliest place on the web for anyone who enjoys boating.
If you have answers, please help by responding to the unanswered posts.
IMHO, it is still substantially over priced. $30K would be generous.

I've seen this boat listing before. A year or so ago at least. If they ever get realistic with the price it should sell quickly. Unfortunately even the price drop today is out of touch with reality IMO.

Whoever buys it will have a few issues to deal with but I kinda like it to be honest.

Whoever buys it will have a few issues to deal with but I kinda like it to be honest.
I think it has a lot of thoughtful details (like forward-sloped windows!). It seems that someone pulled together quite a few elements from other designs that many of us admire, but might have overlooked some key factors.

The salesman's comment about the rolling (and note the stout paravanes!), the attempt at adding ballast, and the low freeboard...I'm wondering, is it possible the house is also done in steel? Many years ago I had a steel Romsdal that wasn't that much larger than this vessel, but the entire superstructure was aluminum.

I am guessing that there were one or two fundamental errors along the way that ensured that this vessel wasn't suitable for the planned use, and throwing bagfuls of money didn't solve the problems.

Interesting analysis, refugio. Actually, not so long ago there was another custom built trawler advertised in YW that one of our TF members took the opportunity to sea-trial. He was a bit startled by the vessel's handling, as though it was also top heavy. Once out in deep water, they engaged the wing stabilizers and it made quite a difference. Then, again while heading back into the dock, they shut off the stabilizers and the feeling of extreme top heaviness returned. He really didn't feel safe till they were tied up.

The boat was pretty awesome and very well equipped, but builders can (and do) make those kinds of mistakes, especially when after-thoughts and what-ifs become add-ons above the natural CG.

No doubt it will take a committed owner but depending upon the operating environment it can be a nice salty looking little boat. Not everyone buys a boat to put to sea so to speak. I for one think it would work well as an inland pleasure boat and at 30' loa transport should be duck soup easy.

Rolling as we all know can be a very subjective trait. Did the broker observe this first hand or was it communicated to him by the seller/donor?

That boat used to be in the Boston area in the 80's. I used see it frequently, but never away from its slip. A cute character boat, I wouldn't pay anywhere close to 95k for it. The 30 k would be a bit high IMHO.

The lower the gear ratio and the bigger prop produces the greatest thrust .. BUT only at maximum output. The efficiency/rpm curve is rather steep for bigger and slower props and flattish for smaller higher speed props like outboards .. especially small ones. So at cruise speed (many trawlers at 25 to 30% load) a smaller faster prop would most likely be more efficient. But for maximum static thrust larger dia and slower speed is king.

According to the Nigel Calder article in this months PBB , you havce this exactally backwards.

Of Careb

I like the perpetual power concept where you aim the spotlight at the solar panels and make power 24/7.

I don't have the time or money for that boat if it was free.

Here's an "interesting full disp trawler".

It helps if you like blue too. Or is it too blue?

However the most interesting thing about this boat is that it's steel .. covered w FG and lots of "bondo". I would think the adhesion wouldn't be there in sufficient quanities to hold the outer coating to the steel hull. Especially w the effect of hot sun and cool water. But here she it in all her blue glory. A striking boat at least.

I see she has active stabilizers. Are they ever employed w bilge keels also? Don't think I've ever seen it.

I think this boat may be about to reappear in the yard.

Attachments

• DSCF0999 copy 4.jpg
    DSCF0999 copy 4.jpg
    128.8 KB · Views: 92
Here's an "interesting full disp trawler".

It helps if you like blue too. Or is it too blue?

Its really blue.....Kristen 50 I think, design by Greg Marshall, built in Saanichton, BC.

A few people have installed active fins "inside" big bilge keels (more like bilge fins), have no idea how it works. Moloka'i Strait did it.

Slobber Slobber. Beautiful, Thanks for sharing. May have just had an organism.

Here's some pics of the most important part.

The deadrise is more or less extreme. Notice the steep QBBL aft.

Attachments

• DSCF1103 copy.jpg
    DSCF1103 copy.jpg
    171 KB · Views: 61
  • DSCF1090 copy.jpg
    DSCF1090 copy.jpg
    132.5 KB · Views: 57
  • DSCF1104 copy.jpg
    DSCF1104 copy.jpg
    198 KB · Views: 57
  • DSCF1105 copy.jpg
    DSCF1105 copy.jpg