View Single Post
Old 07-22-2014, 01:26 PM   #16
taime1
Veteran Member

City: Ottawa
Vessel Model: 2004 MacGregor 26M, for now
Quote:
Originally Posted by pilothouse king View Post
Here's the deal: TRY to buy a boat from an owner who wasn't counting every penny in his ownership, but kept the boat in tip top condition out of pride of ownership, with no expectations of recouping any money because he knew boats are a investment in a LIFE STYLE and nothing else. Don't go bottom fishing, and be surprised when you only catch catfish and eels. Fish up on the surface where the quality fish live. Which means don't go trolling through the boatyards that store garbage hunting for boats, but go to the Yacht Clubs and tony addresses where the nice boats live. These owners will likely give you a plum (if they like you, and think you'll keep loving their boats) for the price others will give you a turd.
Interesting point - I have limited searching to ads online, it never really occured to me to actually go to yards and such. Perhaps I can give that a try. I'm not sure how open people would be to visitors, but you never know.

I'd love to find that owner, and continue to care for his boat. I believe in that legacy. Ultimately, I'd like to repay that favor to someone when/if I'll be able to do so in the future.
taime1 is offline   Reply With Quote