Hanging stuff on walls

The friendliest place on the web for anyone who enjoys boating.
If you have answers, please help by responding to the unanswered posts.

Sunset

Vessel Name
Manatee
Vessel Make
1976 Albin 25 DeLuxe
I want to mount these flea-market finds on a wall in the boat - but how to ensure they don't come crashing down with the rocking and rolling of the boat? Is there an accepted technique or product?

Attachments

• Heads.jpg
    Heads.jpg
    173.6 KB · Views: 117
  • headsback.jpg
    headsback.jpg
    145.2 KB · Views: 112
We use 3M foam mounting tape, 1/2" size. It dosen't hurt the varnish or remove the paint. If there's any tape residue left behind, a little WD-40 works if you want to move the wall hanging. We've mounted pictures, mirrors, even a porcelion gecko.

Please, they are bulkheads, not walls! Place them somewhere that you will not impale yourself on them in rough weather.

If the surface is smooth, the little tape strips that come with plastic wall hooks (like for the shower) will work great, and they have a little tab to pull underneath to remove them with no damage. If the surface is rough, then good luck with that.

So have you come up with a good story to tell just how you killed each one of those before you had them mounted? :D

We use Command Strips to keep things in place. They can be removed and will leave behind no residue. I even used them to mount my auto-pilot remote control on a bulkhead in my sailboat. Lasted for four years before selling her.

After hanging, if you don't want it moving around use Museum Putty. It is not permanent, and won't harm wall finish.

I took Don's idea and played with the Museum Putty here and there too. After deciding I didn't what to hang the art after all, I just made faces out of the putty and said the heck with it.;)

Attachments

• putty face.jpg
    putty face.jpg
    137.4 KB · Views: 70
We just had a picture fall in the vberth just the other night while we were asleep , it had been hanging with command hooks for a couple years . Why the hooks decided to give up in the middle of the night ,I don't know . Our ceiling is a little low close the sides if the hull under the side deck It was loud when the picture fell and we both tried to sit straight up in bed and wound up busting our head at the same time .:facepalm: The command hooks hold well but you do need to change out every so often especially if boat been in hot sun .

I took Don's idea and played with the Museum Putty here and there too. After deciding I didn't what to hang the art after all, I just made faces out of the putty and said the heck with it.;)

No, Larry. That is some of your silly putty. Museum putty is very serious, and usually resides in very quiet museums.:D

It's turning into one of those threads!

A friend in the picture framing business told me a large percentage of their business is generated by Command Strips. We use industrial strength Velcro. Takes a bit of doing to remove it but it does come off with no damage to the surface if you are careful and keeps things hanging. Just sayin'

Back
Top Bottom