Thread: Overpropping
View Single Post
Old 07-17-2014, 11:15 PM   #45
Delfin
Grand Vizier

Quote:
Originally Posted by O C Diver View Post
The simple answer is yes. Don't know if you can obtain the Hp, torque, and fuel consumption graphs for your engine (maybe Boatdiesel). I would look at the graphs for you cruise RPM range and see what HP and fuel consumption the graphs show. I would want to be well below the maximum, but probably at or above 1/3 rd for adequate loading and engine heat generation. This could be comparable to a generator in that you certainly don't want to run it under loaded for extended periods of time for the same reasons. That's how I see it anyway.

Ted
Thanks Ted. Can't really hit the 1/3rd target since my hull drives pretty well at very low horsepower levels. Think big sailboat hull design. However, to get 9+ knots hull speed I need a lot of horsepower because I am pushing a lot of water at those speeds. However, I am told that the 3306 is good for a trawler because it can run at low loads for a very long time. Be that as it may, thanks again for helping me with your advice.