Old 07-17-2014, 11:05 AM   #2
psneeld
Guru

City: Ft Pierce
Vessel Name: Sold
Vessel Model: Was an Albin/PSN 40
Quote:
Originally Posted by kpinnn View Post
We are making the last leg of the trip from Key Largo to Bourne Ma. Presently 6 miles form the Chesapeake Bay side of the C&D canal. We will travel down the Delaware and through the May Canal. This is where the questions come in. The plan is to make the 100 mi plus trip on the outside to Sandy Hook. I have plotted the course and saw nothing out of the ordinary but have read much information to the contrary. As an example one person said to stay at least three miles out to avoid shoaling. My plan is to cruise from published way point to published way point which put us about 2 miles outside and in plenty of water for a 3.5 ft draft. Did I miss something. I obviously need two to three good days weather before casting off. Still I have other questions like:
1) Is the 2 miles good? Probably...if nearing an inlet area..watch the depth sounder and breakers...just stay in more than 15-20 feet of water veering offshore if necessary.
2) What are the best winds? I would expect anything with a West in it is off shore and good unless entering a channel at an ebb time. Off Jersey west wind is OK...I've slid along the coast in more than 35 knots of wind and barely a ripple except for the mile or two passing Little Egg, Great Egg and Hereford inlets (just stay as close to shore as you feel safe..greater than 3 miles and it will start getting choppy). A west wind and a flood tide would make then steeper.
3) Where are the best places to duck in if necessary, and under what conditions? Manasquan isn't great but not too bad except on those wind opposing tide situations and Summer can mean heavy traffic. Barnegat is pretty good these days...stay in the marks and don't run over submerged jetties. Absecon (Atlantic City) is a breeze. Townsends Inlet isn't too bad and the marks are good...just not charted....not good with a NE or East blow. Cape May is a snap in anything but a hurricane.
4) I will not do a 24 hour cruise so will need to spend one or two nights in a marina or at anchor, ay suggestions? Sandy Hook to Barnegat...just inside there are marinas and a good anchorage. Then on to Cape May. 2 60 something mile days is not too bad...If necessary. Sandy Hook to Manasquan then Atlantic City then Cape May.

Ken
Once in at Manasquan..the whole ICW to Cape May isn't bad for a 4 foot draft if travelling on the last 3 of rising tide and first 3 of falling tide....just in case the weather kicks up and you want to keep going.
psneeld is online now   Reply With Quote