Sewing Machine

The friendliest place on the web for anyone who enjoys boating.
If you have answers, please help by responding to the unanswered posts.

Wally

Veteran Member
Vessel Name
Summertime
Vessel Make
Kadey Krogen Manatee
I am looking to buy a portable industrial walking foot machine to make our screens. Looking for info and comments from those who have done this. eBay has many but would like to hear from someone who has one. Thanks. Wally

Sailrite.com. Spendy, but finest kind. I've had one for 10 years or so, with flawless performance to date. Even entry-level models sew all common boat materials with ease.

Pete

I have an old industrial Singer 211G265 and it sews anything. Bought it off Kijiji from an auto upholsterer that was retiring.

I have two sailright units both work well over 20 years ex with their machines kits and supplies. Good instructions and help with adjustments and repair. Have made over a dozen sails up to 44 ft boat and many small canvas projects also repair my wife's horse blankets always getting ripped up. They have a variety of machines also may be used units on market since they have sold many over the years.

I have a used Sailrite LS-1. While I'm still waaay into the learning phase, it has been useful on a bunch of repairs, etc. They are available online & on boating sites. So far Sailrite's support & advice have been well worth the $$$.

If you are just trying to learn. buy an old singer. Made cushions out of vinyl and Curtins with blackout backing with mine. Cheap and easy to fix something to learn on. Garage sale finds.

Sd

I have a Pfaff 545 with a SewQuiet servo-motor. Not portable really, but it will sew through 1/4" plywood if you are so inclined.

Last edited by a moderator:
The std old Singer , with a proper needle will do all the sewing a motor boat can use.

I have seen sails of 8-10 oz dacron with all the multiple layers in the clew sewn with a house unit.

Industrial units might be needed for a better zig zag stitch , but not for sun covers .

The THREAD you use is important to the service life of the sewing.

I have a Pfaff 545 with a SewQuiet servo-motor. Not portable really, but it will see through 1/4" plywood if you are so inclined.

I have a Pfaff 545 as well. They don't get much more bullet proof. :)

I use nothing but Tenara (GoreTex) thread these days.

I have a servo on mine as well as a 3:1 reduction. It was modded for sewing holster leather before I bought it. It's a fun machine for sure. It'll sew over 1/2" of elk hide, plywood, ABS and Maralon (Lexan) with ease. Definitely gotta watch your fingers though. It's unmerciful.

I am looking to buy a portable industrial walking foot machine to make our screens. Looking for info and comments from those who have done this. eBay has many but would like to hear from someone who has one. Thanks. Wally

Hello Wally. If you're just sewing screens my advice would be to go to a sewing machine repair shop and buy an old machine. It doesn't have to be fancy.

Or hire a cruiser to make your stuff -- not that expensive generally and goodness knows a straight screen doesn't take a genius stitcher. With a new boat you'll have lots to do and this is one thing that you could pass off for minimal bucks -- far less than the admittedly excellent Sailrite machines.

I like to sew myself and have a 1937 Singer-221. I've made a quilt at anchor and lots of little things including screens and window covers. But this is not a First Thing To Do when you buy a new/old boat.
And I do not recommend the 221 -- mine's Again out of tension, nor does it have a zigzag stitch. When I get south I'll find a repairman to fix it again. The 221 aka Featherweight only tips the scales at 11 pounds so it truly is portable -- fits in my dinette seat.

Still, after over 70 years of use it's getting a bit crotchety. The nerve!

Consew- cp206R portable walking foot -about $395http://www.westchestersewing.com/consew/cp146r/

Walking foot

I sew lots of projects for our boat (including window screens and cushions) and for our house, and I use a regular (New Home) sewing machine - it is about 20 years old now. I bought a walking foot attachment several years ago and that works just fine!

I use my portable machine to sew leather and sunbrella too - you just need to make sure you have the right needles. The only restriction is the number of layers before the foot doesn't have enough clearance.

I bought a Sailrite LSZ-1 back in 2005 when I got my 466 Bertram Flush Deck. The canvas was not in bad shape other than the seams suffering from thread rot. I decided it was a good time to invest in a machine and feel like it was free as I re-sewed my seams and avoided buying a new aft deck canvas package for 6 or so years. It has been trouble free and will sew through 9 layers of sunbrella, " verified "

Based on this thread and a discussion with my son. He ordered a new Sailrite LS1 through Amazon. He's planning on doing his own boat canvas. I have to admit that is an amazing machine. That thing is built like a Russian tank or was that a brick s---house. . .one or the other will do!! :angel:

Attachments

• Sailrite ls-1.jpg
    Sailrite ls-1.jpg
    36.3 KB · Views: 151
I bought a sailrite also...I have never sewn in my life ...but then I never worked on a diesel engine before I got this boat...I like it and have made a weather skirt for the upper deck and am working on a full enclosure to hang from the hardtop I installed over the flying bridge. Not doing too bad for an amateur if I do say so myself...

I have a Sailrite also. Love it. It will single stitch through whatever you can fit under the foot. I did buy the upgraded motor. As important as the machine is the thread. I only use Tenara. It is guaranteed for the life of the fabric. Some machines do not handle it well as it is slippery, but worth the effort.

DIY Canvas Tips Tricks & Recommendations

For any / all interested there is a parallel discussion thread
DIY Canvas Tips Tricks & Recommendations
that includes some discussion re: machines and many other related topics.

In post #32 of the above discussion I provided a Sailrite marketing contact info - if anyone is contemplating purchasing a Sailrite machine it may be worthwhile to check to see if they have any specials running or planned in the near future. I believe they frequently have "boat show" special pricing or free shipping - worth asking at least.

I've provided links both ways to help everyone find related & useful info.

Note there is a also a thread
DIY Canvas - Show Off Your Projects
that has some sample work by us "amateurs"...
Please feel free to post photos of your projects.

Last edited:
I bought an old straight stitch Singer of eBay. It's direct drive and that's not necessarily an advantage. There's a phenolic gear that I stripped and had to find a replacement for. Also, if the motor fails, I might not find a replacement.

Still, it was about $60 and does the job pretty well and it looks cool with my "traditional" furniture in my home. I don't do enough sewing to justify a "real" machine, just repairs and a few covers. More complicated stuff I send to a pro.

Sailrite has a $50 off the price of any Ultrafeed machine. Contemplating the difference between the LS-1 and LSZ-1. Don't think I'll ever sew sails but is it worth the difference to buy the more expensive machine? Also is the power wheel with posi lock enough or should I also include the Monster II wheel in any purchase?

Thanks.

I bought the deluxe lsz 1 so got the wheel...comes in handy when doing manual turns thru thick materials but I have to say I very rarely do zig zag...that's the only difference between the machines. have not had a need for a special motor yet...I believe it lets you control the speed a little better but I find the foot control adequate for that. I m currently doing a full enclosure like the one on the CHB Europa on the previous page...

that's SomeSailors Honey Badger...very similar

The main difference between the LS and LZ Sailrite is the LZ does zigzag. The advantage on the LZ is obvious in that it ZigZags. But more important is the needle bar can shift to the right or left instead of just center. This allows you to stitch closer to zippers and helps a lot on tapeing also.
Now, if all your planning on is a few screens, then hunt for a used machine, preferable one with walking pressure feet. Just take into consideration, that most used machines come mounted on a fairly large table. If you are planning on sewing at home, great. If on the boat, you want a machine that is in a box.
Good luck on your project, go slow and enjoy the project.

I bought the deluxe lsz 1 so got the wheel...comes in handy when doing manual turns thru thick materials but I have to say I very rarely do zig zag...that's the only difference between the machines. have not had a need for a special motor yet...I believe it lets you control the speed a little better but I find the foot control adequate for that. I m currently doing a full enclosure like the one on the CHB Europa on the previous page...

I agree w Tangler...
Didn't get the monster wheel w mine but added it later...highly recommend. Also you can get a zipper foot to get closer to zips if desired vs LS-Z. I have one but usually don't use it for zips...normal distance seems OK for the lg #10 sliders on most canvas.
I've done a lot of canvas work in 10+ yrs and never missed having a ZigZag machine. Std foot control works OK for me as well...I attached mine to piece of carpet so foot pressure keeps it place...I can post a pic if anyone would like?

Thanks everyone for their input. I will decide which one using the advice above. I really look forward to starting several sewing projects on the boat this year.

Latest posts

Back
Top Bottom