Marine Trader LOA

The friendliest place on the web for anyone who enjoys boating.
If you have answers, please help by responding to the unanswered posts.

SJRiver

Vessel Name
Novaway
Vessel Make
1978 Marine Trader 38DC
Hi Folks,

Trying to find the differences between the 36 and 38 DC... I will try this a different way:

Is the LOA of the 38 actually 38'? Does this include the stern platform and / or bow pulpit? Or is it just the actual hull?

Thanks for any input!!

Jim

Can't say for sure about a 38 but my "34" is 33 on deck + 1 anchor pulpit and 2 more for the swim platform. Give or take a few inches...

Hi Folks,

Trying to find the differences between the 36 and 38 DC... I will try this a different way:

Is the LOA of the 38 actually 38'? Does this include the stern platform and / or bow pulpit? Or is it just the actual hull?

Thanks for any input!!

Jim

I have found that on most boats,the measurement is usual taken from the hull at the bow to the transom,and excludes engines,swim platforms,bow pulpits/sprits,or anything else that didn't come made to the main hull.The manufactures also have a habit of rounding up their sizes to the nearest foot,ex 37'3" would be a 38' hull plus any additions hanging off the hull.This isn't a set rule and it's always true.Just a guideline of sorts.

My 38 MT is measured from the hull at the bow to the transom as ben2go stated. It is also indicated by the first two numbers of the hull serial number.

It is also indicated by the first two numbers of the hull serial number.

That is a good piece of info!! Now... where is the HIN located on your 38?

Thanks!

Are the first two numbers in the HIN the actual measurement or what the manufacturer chose to call it?

Are the first two numbers in the HIN the actual measurement or what the manufacturer chose to call it?

My main purpose in the thread is to be able to identify a 38 vs a 36 so I am comfortable with it being the model "length" rather than an actual length...:)

The HIN is located on the starboard side of the transom close to the top, imprinted in the fiberglass. It is most probably rounded up from the actual length for marketing purposes as mine measures 37' 10", and is indicated in the HIN as 38

Perfect, thanks very much for the info... we are looking at a 38 and there has been discussion about whether it was indeed a 38 and not a 36. This clears up the confusion.

Thanks again

Latest posts

Back
Top Bottom