Tom

The friendliest place on the web for anyone who enjoys boating.
If you have answers, please help by responding to the unanswered posts.

tvtom

Vessel Name
GENERAL WILLI
Vessel Make
1980 to 83 CLIPPER STYLE
I own a 39 ft clipper style aft cabin cruiser. buit approx. in 1980 or so. was built in Taiwan I reckon . this one has the engine in the aft of the boat and propelled by a V drive and accessible through a hatch in the deck. I have never seen this type of boat with the motor aft,,,,,, usually there all mid ships. any one throw some light on this subject please.

Welcome Tom,

Always good to get another Aussie TF member. Nice boating country in Lakes Entrance.

We need a few more clues about your boat. A photo would be great. Click on "go advanced" and attach a pic to your post.

You find vee drives in a few models of Taiwanese trawlers. I've seen a 29 ft Lien Hwa with a vee drive. Even the early Willards had them.
With a photo - one of the members will surely identify your boat.

Being the first time at this and being computer iliterate you may have to bear with me.....i try this first

Hi Tom, another downunderian here. I have a Clipper 34 myself, and have seen many others, and never come across one with a v-drive before. Mainly, I suspect, because boats this big, and this type of configuation, have enough room to fit the more usual shaft drive/midships engine set-up. Wouldn't that V-drive place your engine under the floor of the aft cabin, of is it way aft in the lazaret area..? By your description it sounds like the latter site, which means it is indeed way aft. Was this done to accommodate some other unusual feature of the fit-out maybe..?

Hi Tom, Welcome. You are in a very scenic area. I look forward to pics of your boat when you master the process. About 3 at a time is my max or I get a security message.

Hi there I,m sorry about the way I am going in this Forum but I am only self taught . I see Brucek is from Sydney. Well my boat General Willi came from there years ago where I believe it operated as a charter vessel for some years. I will see how I go about putting some pictures on, Tom

Welcome

V drives are quite common in US on various designs where the designer wants to maximize cabin space by keeping engine aft. They put more weight far aft than a midships engine design and make transmission and stuffing box access more difficult but there seem no inherent problems when properly set up.
Some info on the make and model of the engine ad transmission will yiels a lot more data for you.

This has a 2715e ford lehmans 6 cylinder engine with a borg warner V drive gearbox at a ratio of 1.5 to 1

My 1993 Mainship 40 Sedan Bridge had a pair of Walter V drives (RV-40's). It was a big gas pig (8.1L HO gassers) but a very spacious boat. The engines were under the cockpit of the boat the V drives were close to the bulkhead between the ER and the main salon. Under the salon was where the 320+ gallons of gasoline were kept. This always bothered me but since I sold the boat it no longer is my worry. For the boat to handle properly required keeping the gas tank topped off. Once the boat would get down to 1/3 of a tank it got harder to get the boat to plane. This is common and unique to the Manship 40SB.
V drives are pretty common in the US.
Bill

Peter B In regards to the difference of the vessel I have and the clipper 34. as I was shopping for the clipper 34 and looked at several. this vessel I ended up buying is the exact layout of you boat. the aft and forward cabin layout are nearly a replica of my boat. The reason I chose this boat is that being 5 ft longer than the 34, I found the short deck space out the aft cabin to the transom on the 34, I found that the distance from the aft cabin in general and the transom was a lot longer, IE about 6 or so feet. and that is where the motor ford lehman 6 sits coupled to a borg warner 72c series V drive. the shipright who looked at this vessel for me before sale told me he thinks it,s between a choy lee and a chung wha ????? but neverless it does the job for me. It has huge area in e/room for me to sit there comfortably and service the engine, all batterys and hot water service are in there too, The 7.5 kva genset sits mid ships where the motor is generally. have a inbuilt water tank of 1200 ltrs in there also, the 2 x 700 litre fuel tanks are port and starboard in E/room also. I still am trying to work out how to put a picture or pictures on this site but hopefully I will get there eventually. bye for now

I wonder

Attachments

• DSCF1065 (640x480).jpg
    DSCF1065 (640x480).jpg
    158.1 KB · Views: 124
There you go, tvTom, you managed. Actually, my Clipper 34 is not an aft or tri-cabin version, and although the norm now, was very rare back in 1975 when she was produced, it is a sedan version. We kept looking for one of those for precisely the reason you pointed to - the small aft cockpit in the tri-cabin 34, whereas ours is nice and roomy out there, the trade-off being, of course, no aft cabin. However for the two of us, we don't miss that. What we would miss is the nice roomy and covered aft cockpit. By going bigger you managed to get pretty much both features, and your vessel looks very much like the aft cabin version of the Blue Seas 36, one of which is just down the finger from me now, actually, only yours is longer still. I am at Horizon Shores Marina just north of the Gold Coast, where will you be keeping your boat..? I see you are in Northern Victoria at Lakes Entrance.
Anyway, sounds like a great vessel. Happy boating.

Attachments

• IMG_0368.jpg
    IMG_0368.jpg
    61.5 KB · Views: 122
  • Image087.jpg
    Image087.jpg
    70.9 KB · Views: 121
  • settee etc.jpg
    settee etc.jpg
    199.3 KB · Views: 118
Last edited:
Dang, Al. I sure love that boat. Canvas...woodwork, everything.just to my taste.

Tom, the downside of a roomy aft cabin can be loss of cockpit depth. On a Clipper 34 it is pretty much an unusable area. With greater length, your boat has aft cabin and usable cockpit, a major plus. Side and aft pics would be good.

Aft picture will get more now i think i know what i,m doing

Attachments

• DSCF1106 (640x480).jpg
    DSCF1106 (640x480).jpg
    175.7 KB · Views: 226
Cruising the gippsland lakes

Attachments

• DSCF1106 (640x480).jpg
    DSCF1106 (640x480).jpg
    175.7 KB · Views: 113
That looks very similar to a boat I looked at down at the RMYC Port Hacking, a few years ago.I seem to remember it was advertised as a Chung Wa 39', of course yours may be a completely different boat.

And by the way, welcome aboard, and don't listen to a word they say( between you and me I think they are all short of a few sheep in the upper paddock ;))

Thanks Andy G its good to be on board :) It is funny Andy as I have looked and looked and do you think I can find any information on this vessel or type of vessel,,,,, This boat I bought 9 to 10 years ago at a place called Lemon tree passage, and I have reconditioned her over the last few years and it a great vessel for the Gippsland lakes where I live. I met a person here years ago that remembered looking at her for his friend to buy, It laid in Sydney harbour where it was for sale and he said that at that time it was in charter work there. that's all I know about it, he said he distinctly remembered her by unusual name of general willi and the reason why the prospective buyer declined was he was unsure of a boat fitted with a V drive. Tom

cruising the Gippsland lakes

Attachments

• DSCF1043 (640x480).jpg
    DSCF1043 (640x480).jpg
    169.1 KB · Views: 96
on the gippy lakes

Attachments

• DSCF1043 (640x480).jpg
    DSCF1043 (640x480).jpg
    169.1 KB · Views: 99
Did you get my message and picture I sent Andy

Hi tvtom
I'm the next port west from you port Albert nice place lakes want to get up there one year and layup in the barrier

Good you will have to let me know when your hereI cruise past the barrier a lot .I mainly stay at flagstaff if is not busy

will do mate

Latest posts

Back
Top Bottom