Window repair

The friendliest place on the web for anyone who enjoys boating.
If you have answers, please help by responding to the unanswered posts.

fryedaze

Guru
Vessel Name
Fryedaze
Vessel Make
MC 42 (Overseas Co) Monk 42
I could have added this to the bone headed mistake thread but I thought I would share what I learned while watching the glass guy today. I put my ass through this window fending off a pier while someone else drove my boat. Obviously I was inexperience in my new role. I had a glass company do this because I have read some stories on TF that made it sound hard. I could have pulled the glass myself and saved 75% of the cost of this job. I will know better next time. I used the opportunity to replace the fuzzy stuff in the window. I will now be changing out all the Wool Pile(fuzzy stuff) in all my old worn out windows.

Attachments

• Installation Directions.jpg
    Installation Directions.jpg
    62.8 KB · Views: 235
  • Wool Pile1.jpg
    Wool Pile1.jpg
    120.9 KB · Views: 152
Dave, Has anyone ever told you that window makes your butt look big? You seriously broke BOTH panels of glass with that ass?

Dave, Has anyone ever told you that window makes your butt look big? You seriously broke BOTH panels of glass with that ass?

The slider was open and behind the stationary glass. It was a quick crunch,crunch. Good thing it was laminate and held together.:facepalm:

The slider was open and behind the stationary glass. It was a quick crunch,crunch. Good thing it was laminate and held together.:facepalm:

When I managed a charter fleet of GBs that used to happen once or twice a season even after telling the charterers to be careful about it in the precharter check out.

So you are by no means the first person (nor last I'm sure) to do it :facepalm::D

Dave, any chance you have a close up pic of the window frame or the rubber seals? Did you happen to note the manufacturers stamp on the original glass? I'm still looking for replacement seals for one of my windows which is also cracked.

Mine "seem" to be three piece, one seal on the outside of the frame sealing the frame to the fiberglass, one strip in the frame presumably to hide the frame screws, the other holds the glass in, is this the way yours are set up?

Attachments

• 043.jpg
    043.jpg
    138.5 KB · Views: 104
Unfortunately I reused my seals. Your window looks like mine. It has that three piece construction also. To replace the glass I didn't have to mess with the frame. The rubber seal next to the glass just comes off and then you cut the sealant with a razor blade and pull the window. The glass shop initially told me to remove the glass and bring it to them and they would cut me a new piece. That's what I will do next time. Its a pretty simple job. The critical part is the glass sizing must be perfect. I am trying to upload the pictures but TF wont take them. The glass guy told me all the other windows come out by removing that rubber strip.

Seals

Window seals and frame.

Attachments

• Seal.jpg
    Seal.jpg
    58.4 KB · Views: 110
  • Window out.jpg
    Window out.jpg
    187.9 KB · Views: 108
  • Seal2.jpg
    Seal2.jpg
    187.3 KB · Views: 112
A few years ago a couple from the marina bought a new 53' Hatteras. While in a lock his wife was handling lines and using a boat hook to stay off the wall. The turbulence, wind or both pushed the boat towards the wall and her boat hook went thru a solon window.

Thanks Dave, I'm delighted to see they do indeed look like the same windows which means mine are not "one off" made in Taiwan as I feared they might be. I am hoping I can find a source for the seals before I fix my cracked window in the event the seal gets wrecked. Probablly wouldn't hurt to replace all the seals on every window.

Thanks Dave, I'm delighted to see they do indeed look like the same windows which means mine are not "one off" made in Taiwan as I feared they might be. I am hoping I can find a source for the seals before I fix my cracked window in the event the seal gets wrecked. Probablly wouldn't hurt to replace all the seals on every window.

Two years ago when I was looking into window tinting to knock down the heat I found out that I couldn't tint the inside due to the laminate glass. It will fracture due to heat build up in the glass if its tinted. Anyway.... I did the research on the glass that is on my 1989 boat and it was actually made in Pennsylvania. The glass guy told me the 1/4" laminate glass like mine is readily available.

That is really curious, all of mine are laminate glass and all have been tinted since new. I wonder if he was referring to a specific type of tint? I believe mine is the common aftermarket sheet type versus sprayed on. I was just going to replace my cracked one with normal glass but given what happened to you I think I'll stick with safety glass.

In your research you didn't happen to learn the manufacturer of the complete window assemblies did you?

Greetings,
My laminate widows widows all have a tinting film on them. If it became necessary I would replace with laminate NOT tempered.

That is really curious, all of mine are laminate glass and all have been tinted since new. I wonder if he was referring to a specific type of tint? I believe mine is the common aftermarket sheet type versus sprayed on. I was just going to replace my cracked one with normal glass but given what happened to you I think I'll stick with safety glass.

In your research you didn't happen to learn the manufacturer of the complete window assemblies did you?

No nothing on the frame manufacturer. My laminate windows are tinted. I was speaking of after market tint films before.

Just did the same thing on my 41' Lindmark! Augh....
Knot Tide Down

Back
Top Bottom