Rope/chain windlass recommendations

The friendliest place on the web for anyone who enjoys boating.
If you have answers, please help by responding to the unanswered posts.

jnvoss

Veteran Member
Vessel Name
Gray Eagle
Vessel Make
1985 35" CHB
Recommendation for good rope/chain windlass. Thanks.

Recommendation for good rope/chain windlass. Thanks.

You should do a search on old threads. This topic as well as anchors and guns has been discussed in great length. Personally I use 50' of chain and 200' rode and a Lewmar windlass.

Any of the name brand windlasses will be well made. Lewmar, Muir, Lofrans, Maxwell, Ideal, I think all of these companies make quality products.
Decide whether you want a vertical or horizontal windlass and start shopping. You'll need to know what size chain and rope you want to use.

I have seen 2 type of splices going from rope to chain...in fact I have done both using the skills USN taught what being a Boatswain Mate. I have no experience with line (rope) auto windlass. I realize a standard eye splice to the last link will flow from rope to chain. The question is this; will a weave into the links also work and not jam? Seems the weave into 8 to 12 links would be stronger over time elimininating the single wear point where rope meets chain at the eye splice.
BTW: Marine Connection (buy up surplus inventory, bankrupt builders and so forth) in Fort Pierce have what they refer to as an inventory surplus of a quality windlass suitable for my 14 ton boat for around $1300. I will b in there today and get details.

Last edited:
Ok, I just got back from Marine Connection.....they have a large selection of Maxwell, Quick a Lofland or 2 (really big) and others.. I need a 1000 watt Quick..I have a heavy 38ft,they have the spectrum fairly well covered. Prices well below msrp.

Back
Top Bottom