Interesting Full Disp Trawler

The friendliest place on the web for anyone who enjoys boating.
If you have answers, please help by responding to the unanswered posts.
Vessel Name
Willy
Vessel Make
Willard Nomad 30'
The Susan Gael near us in the yard is about as full as full disp boats get. Built of steel in Holland for a British man. The boat had to wait a year for delivery because there was a stipulation she had to endure an 80 knot North Sea gale before delivery. A demanding customer to be sure. I met the present owner today and got these bits of information and his permission to post.

The fore section is not very unusual except for her obvious heft. But the aft section is short by comparison and has a very steep buttock line. She has no FB, stabilizers, fwd slant windows, no wood much less teak and a prop more typical of a smaller trawler. It looks like the house, windows and all the rest of Susan Gael would be well up to the 80 knot gale.

I'm pleased to be in the company of such a serious trawler.

Attachments

• DSCF1517 copy.jpg
    DSCF1517 copy.jpg
    198.6 KB · Views: 315
  • DSCF1514 copy.jpg
    DSCF1514 copy.jpg
    153.6 KB · Views: 316
  • DSCF1515 copy.jpg
    DSCF1515 copy.jpg
    135.2 KB · Views: 290
  • DSCF1513 copy.jpg
    DSCF1513 copy.jpg
    181 KB · Views: 392
  • DSCF1509 copy.jpg
    DSCF1509 copy.jpg
    175.2 KB · Views: 274
  • DSCF1510 copy.jpg
    DSCF1510 copy.jpg
    176.7 KB · Views: 278
Last edited:
Shew. Stout vessel. Really steep in the butt for sure. Port sizes are for obvious purpose.

Larry,
Scroll your image down to the bottom of your screen so the screen edge is parallel to the WL of the trawler in the fourth image. One would never guess there was so much boat "down under".

Eric, the owner is a very tolerant man:rofl: Have you discussed anchors with him? Looks as though he could be interested.:lol:
Al:dance:

Those are pretty small roll chocks, methinks she will roll quite a lot. Are those nostrils in the front anchor hawsepipes? Serious boat, me like.

I think she is beautiful. Hope the interior is as great. The bilge keels could be wider and deeper. I had a 65' T-Boat with out Bilge keels. We took a 58' 1" thick by 12" wide and welded it to the bottom of the 2" thick keel. That weighs 2,378 lbs. Stevens Intsit. in Hoboken ran the lines and it showed a decrease in the roll rate, Decrease in pitch and the roll line center went down 10". So now I had a shoe to hit bottom first, which never happened and boat yard were happy to pick up as less chance of damage to their slings.
PS What is her main ? Gardner ?

I like the lifeline height!

But what's with those draught marks weld beads on the stern? They're inverted - air draft? They don't seem to accurate either - just whimsical?

She may be a little bit of a handful in the ICW but at 3 AM out where the busses don't run I could sleep soundly knowing I am in good hands. Beautiful!

Yup you guys zero'ed right in.

Never seen an anchor on the Susan but I'll bet it's a very big Navy or Kedge. And I'm sure the "nostrils" are anchor hawsepipes.

Yes her crib aft is .. a joke .. well they may as well have put her right on the ground. And as it she settles more weight is felt elsewhere where it shouldn't be .... like under her bilge keels.
And speaking of bilge keels ... Yes rather small for her mass. The owner said she does roll but made no mention of bigger bilge keels or stabilizers. They've prolly got good sea legs ... Like me (joke) but I don't mind the roll most of the time. Perhaps the designer was trying to minimize the tripping possibilities of bilge keels.

Know nothing about her power. Never seen a Gardner w over 150hp so prolly not a Gardner. Nothing about the interior or draught marks either. Perhaps there are two very large anchors and they removed them to lighten her up for the travelift. It's only good for 100 tons.

refugio,
I had my wife look at the numbers and she says the're right side up. We're going their now so I'll look at the real thing.

Last edited:
I had my wife look at the numbers and she says the're right side up. We're going their now so I'll look at the real thing.

They are "right side up" but they progress the wrong way! Bigger numbers lower down could indicate an air draft, which decreases as the boat floats higher. But the interval also seems inaccurate.

Fugio,
I don't know. I thought of an image flip like w a negative on film but not likely on the computer but stranger things have happened.
I'll ask about that and the engine when they all come back. I'm putting AT fluid in my hydraulic hoses for steering. I think I'm on the home stretch now. Then I've got oil filter setup and temporary fuel system.

I was on the boat probably 15 years ago, the engine room is full of stuff. I'm not positive but my feeling is the main is a DAF or some other European commercial type engine. I believe there's a get home hydraulic drive as well.

Susangael.jpg

Eric, if you have Wagner steering they recommend hydraulic fluid. Just saying.

I see in the sketch they've got a Danforth style of anchor in the hawse. It looks right. Not exactly bashful in the prop and rudder dept. either.

ATF is a type of hydraulic oil and common usage.

Al (15 years Standard (Chevron) Oil Company Sales)

Except for the stern and hull ridges, the boat reminds me of the Coot.

Larry,
That would be one very big bad Dan. And there's probably one on each side. I noticed Danforths are leading the parade here in the yard. It's usually Claws though.

Xsbank,
It's a Sea Star Capilano 1200 series. Called the manufacturer in BC as I was wondering what kind of hyd fluid to use. He said Dextron III or IV. So I got some. I asked him about turbine oil but he said the Dextron is much likely to leak. LEAK!!! I'll stick w Valvoline.

Mark,
Completely different shape. Ultra rounded bilge. Way different bow. Way different than Willy too. We aren't related to this gal. Our boats are sail boats in the pond in the park compared to this one.
When I put the bottom of my computer screen on Susan Gael's WL she looks to have low freeboard. Looks almost a different boat.
We've got a Bayliner in the yard now and I'm amazed at how slack and soft her chines are. She looks longer and lower than in reality in this pic. Looks really good. The run along most of the whole bottom is very straight. Looks to be very efficient at 18 knots or so. She's got a small low drag keel and unfortunately small props in tunnels. She's definitely related to the Explorer 32 and 37. Especially in the bow. Big Fortress anchor.

Attachments

• DSCF1518 copy.jpg
    DSCF1518 copy.jpg
    137.6 KB · Views: 195
Last edited:
Many north sea designs have narrow low floatation sterns. There must be a lot of following seas in that area.

Look at the North Sea lifeboats, which they used to launch off the beach (and return through breakers!).

Eric, those Bayliners throw a wake like a destroyer, unless that have had that hull fillet mod. They might look good under there but they were the bane of my existence when I had my little GB32. I started to noodle when I cruised, as if I'd had too much to drink (I NEVER drink when I am underway!) in order for them to give me more room when they passed. In my own personal survey, Bayliners waked me the most, followed closely by Sea Rays. I don't mean by volume, but by passing me too close.

Now with my metal lump, she of all the dents, nobody with a shiny boat likes to get too close! To paraphrase another on here, I have a firehose and I'm not afraid to use it!

Thanks for sharing this boat, Manyboats, and your breadth never ceases to amaze, Tad!!

Of course it's very important to know what is correct info and not ....and what is opinion and not...

In your opinion <grin>

Not really...I'll take a consensus, scientific research that's credible...or just plain old common sense that even my girlfriend's dog has....

Plenty here have already told me my experience and opinion ain't worth diddly...I think that the same criterion should apply to anyone that can't back up their info with something more than a post...even when I back it up with plenty of substantiating info the few still pile on.

So have at it...believe what you want...heck you won't get a diploma from TF...

....but I'm happy with the real person meets I've had and PMs that keep me going here....so I'll stick around till I feel I've totally lost it.

Xsbank,
I think it's the bow. I've seen them underway and the bow wave is just plain big. And looking at the boat in the pic from dead ahead says that Mark would never call this boat a "slicer". She looks really slick from the side but the bow is to put it bluntly ... blunt. But if enough speed was ever attained to raise the bow she's really move along .... IMO.

But the worst thing I observed was the tiny rudders. Small props, small shafts, small keel and small rudders makes for low drag but low thrust too. A following sea would not be a place to be.

But I love the cross sectional shape and general styling of the boat, especially the bridge from inside and out.

Mark,
Re the rest of the boat the propeller and rudder aren't large. Compared to the boat my rudder on Willy is larger. And the prop is rather small in dia. Some one went looking for blade area though. Must have quite a bit of power.

WOW ... Can we do this again? Thanks very much.
Eric

Yeah! Got another boat like this one?:thumb:

I thought the prop, being four bladed, had quite a bit of area. I think there's ample rudder too, but Willy is over-endowed in this way, don't you think?

Last edited:

Latest posts

Back
Top Bottom