Headcount?

The friendliest place on the web for anyone who enjoys boating.
If you have answers, please help by responding to the unanswered posts.

Bill

I am curious to know how many DeFever owners are on this forum.* I am a soon-to-be-owner if all goes well with the survey.* Don't be shy, folks!

An old 44 with luck. Maybe close at the end of this month. Boat's on west coast of Florida.

I've got a 2002 DeFever 53 Pilothouse with twin Deere 6068's.

1980 DeFever 49 Raised Pilot House, w/ twin Lehman 120's

Love this boat!!

-- Edited by Ken at 10:54, 2007-10-10

Hey Ken,

*** Welcome and I love that boat too.* A good thing you bought it because I would have if you did not(I found out about it just a little later than you).* It used to be "Sea Angel" or somehting like that didn't it???* Anyway, she is looking nice and it's sounding like she is serving you well.

Take care and trawler on,
John

Just bought this 1982 Defever 41' this Spring.
Single Lehman 120 engine. Keeping it in Rock Hall MD. Now on the hard there for the winter.
R.

Thanks, John!

We were lucky to stumble across her, as we were only looking for boats in the 42-44' range. For once in my life, I was in the right place at the right time! :)

Ken

1985 Defever 48, Twin 135 Lehmans, 12.5 KW Westerbeke. Full time cruiser currenlty in Marathon, FL

A 1985 Defever 48.* Twin 135 Lehmans with a 12.5 Westerbeke.* Have owned almost 8 years.* A great cruising and live aboard boat.

Attachments

• lastpictureofwhichaway.jpg
    lastpictureofwhichaway.jpg
    33.5 KB · Views: 211
Sorry to go totally silent since I started this thread.

As you can see from my new avatar, the Admiral (Ruth), and I are proud owners of "Georgia Peach," formerly "JOURNEY to..." owned by Ron and Charma Owens of Apollo Beach, Fl. She's a grand old gal (the boat, not...nevermind).

So now you know the rest of the story....

Defever 49 RPH here. Sorry, but for some reason I"m unable to post photos here, but you can see it on the website.................Arctic traveller

Trawler training and yacht charters at www.arctictraveller.com

well, I guess I'm not allowed to post links either, but the site works, just cut and paste the link...........Arctic Traveller

You should be able to post photos and dunno why the link isn't working.

See the Technical Help section on tips and known (mostly Mac) problems.* This should get your picture posting fixed.
smile.gif

If you're using Safari to access the internet on a Mac, there's a good chance you won't be able to post photos. Use Firefox instead. If you're using a PC I've not had any attachment posting problems with M/S Explorer.

I have a Defever 48' Repowered with twin Cummins 210"s and a 12KW Northen lights. I built a fiberglass hard top to replace the bimini and installed 2 110watt solar panels. I"m going to add 2 more this spring. With the Niaids it doesn't roll at all. I love this boat.

Ron. Grinnell

Defever 48'
the WINDEE
Newport RI

Hi: I traveled over from PMM. Nice to see a website that works at normal speed. I have a 2003 DF 48 tri cabin #168. Keep the boat in BC near Victoria. Lovely spot. Bought it from the broker in Sausalito, Chuck Green, who I believe got out of the business. I burn less than 5 gph both engines plus genset - Perkins 225TIs. Normal issues but sure like it that DF is staying in business with low new purchase $$$ and good quality.

*River Girl* 2004 49 RPH John Deers 6068s

-- Edited by Ron Walton on Wednesday 18th of November 2009 03:13:34 PM

1979 40' Downeast repowered with 440hp Yanmar.

Defever forums message boards?

Are there any Defever (specific) forums or message boards?
Sure will appreciate anyone that can point me in the right direction.
Thank you.

Mike wrote:

Check out my avatar for a near sistership = mine is a Jensen Marine Passagemaker 40 with a Downeast flybridge.

That came about after the PO had a unfortunate encounter with the Rt. 17 bridge over the Ashley Rv. in Charleston.

I've seen the listing for your boat on YW - Nice boat!

Do you ever open up that 440 HP Yanmar?. How deep a hole does she dig?

Mike
Merritt Island, FL
Currently cruising the Chesapeake Bay
Thanks for the compliment....We bought her in April and took delivery in May....Yes, I have opened up the 440 (only to keep the Turbo lubed)*and lets just say all the surfers would love it! lol

The PO did a fantastic job of restoring her to near new condition, interior as well as paint. We have been doing the brite work on cap/hand rails and using Epithane and really like the result.

We have only gone on some short cruises around here, but we do plan on venturing out and hopefully the Western Caribbean will be our destination in the near future.

I can sure see the sistership in our boats,*how long have you*owned her? She is a beautiful boat.*

Mike wrote:

Think about it for a second - Mr. DeFever is over 90 years old, and he has time to talk to the third owner of a boat he designed 40 years ago.

It definitely is a labor of Love for Mr DeFever

By the way, Mr. DeFever calls the PM 40 and the Downeast 40 the "38". He told me it's "just a fiberglass version of the wood 38." Measure the boat and you'll see he's right.

I see on my documentation it measures 36.2 ???

Remember, he's over 90. Don't mention the 440 Yanmar.

You think he would have an issue with that? I didn't do the repower...but I think it's a fine piece of machinery; albeit*probably more power than is really needed.

I have a Wood Freeman Auto Pilot, and the few times I have used it, I didn't find it dependable....but then it may be that I havn't figured out all the dials and setup.

-- Edited by Roostor on Monday 16th of August 2010 12:02:27 AM

Greetings,

New owner of an older 49 RPH.* She is currently lying in North Carolina for some work, but we will soon be moving her to her new home in Virginia.* We are looking forward to using her in the Chesapeake to get used to her, and venturing further in a few years.

Thansk for all of the wisdom shared on this forum.* We have learned a lot, and still have a long way to go.

No longer,
"Wannabe"

-- Edited by Wannabe on Wednesday 18th of August 2010 02:02:00 PM

I've been lurking and soaking up information/knowledge for a long time now.* We recently closed on Gray Hawk and she is currently berthed in Elliott Bay, Seattle.* But we're paying for two berths so she will be moving to Sidney, BC as soon as we can get organized enough to make the move, likely between Christmas and New Years or in early Jan.* She was described on Yachtworld as a 43 Defever but what looks to be the original drawings were onboard and they show her as a 42 foot ocean cruiser.* When we get to Sidney they are going to measure us - then we'll know for sure.

Welcome to the DeFever family, and to this forum as it is certainly the fountain of information as you are already aware. Ya just gotta luv this place.

I am a fairly recent owner of a DeFever so I'm not as well versed as others, however, my boat too is advertised as a 40 Downeast, but in fact, the documentation shows her at 36'2". I am assuming this to be the waterline length, but then we know what happens when we assume
smile.gif

-- Edited by Roostor on Sunday 5th of December 2010 06:42:57 AM

I am about to be a Defever 40 owner. I have a question. My HIN number is PAS401091073 I know the last for were the month and year being October 1973. A friend of ours has hull #3 also built in 1973 with his hull number starting out as PAS40003..... Should the 109 of my HIN be the hull number? It is hard to think that they laid 109 hulls in the first year they built the 40.

Latest posts

Back
Top Bottom