Newbie: Help me pick a Trawler

The friendliest place on the web for anyone who enjoys boating.
If you have answers, please help by responding to the unanswered posts.

SteveandZoila

Vessel Name
Miss Rita
Vessel Make
2004 Heritage East
I am a newbe, 65yo ready to retire in 6 months. I have been on freshwater all my life. I took up scuba a few years ago and fell in love with the Caribbean. Thus I am looking for a trawler. I am in Nashville and would love to learn on the rivers, should have started a few years ago! I have been looking for 6 months, and I am narrowing it down. 38-45' sundeck, low HP like 120-135 fords, I really want a low burn rate like 2.5gal/ hr @ 7kts. I really want to travel, not sit at the dock, so burn rate is important, dream of doing the Caribbean Loop if there is sure a thing. So humbly seek advice from you ole salts to guide me.
I have seen a few singles, but I think for the age/ price I am looking for, it might be better to go twin. I am looking at 1980's in the 60-90k range. I am very skilled mechanically, but don't want to spend my whole retirement repairing! Lot of asian boats for sale.
Question #1 39' Heritage , 25,000# twin 6BT5-9 Cummins 210hp expected burn rate?
Question # If you run a semiplaning hull at 7kts, can you expect same fuel burn as same boat with semi displacment?
I have many more questions, I will pause for a while and listen. Steve

Given what you want to do, your price range, and your skills, I would recommend you look seriously at Winnie The Pooh. I would dearly love to do the Caribbean in that boat!

The thread is under the Classified forum, " 46' Pilothouse Trawler 1.5 gph @7.5 kts:

Last edited:
Welcome! I share your dream, a lot of good info here.

I need to rename the thread, I was hoping more responses. I have read a lot on the forum, and I know there is a lot of experienced ole salts that can help me. How do I change thread title? I was planning to look at Winnie the Pooh this week, but business has canceled Vacation.

I need to rename the thread, I was hoping more responses. I have read a lot on the forum, and I know there is a lot of experienced ole salts that can help me. How do I change thread title?

You just make a post like the one you made, and then these things kind of happen, with a puff of smoke and a little magic. :)

I've never cruised the Caribbean, but from what I hear the waters can be quite shallow, so you may want to look for shallow draught vessels. Twins often, but not always, have shallower draught than singles.

Burn rate is dependent on displacement, speed you run and hull shape. Notice I did not mention max hp of the engine

I've never cruised the Caribbean, but from what I hear the waters can be quite shallow, so you may want to look for shallow draught vessels. Twins often, but not always, have shallower draught than singles.

The Bahamas can be shallow. Which of course are not in the Caribbean. The islands and places that make up the true Caribbean, not so much.

The vast majority of trawlers discussed on this site have a draft that is just fine for cruising the Loop, Bahamas and Caribbean.

If you are really looking at doing the Caribbean I would look for a boat with stabilizers if you can afford it.

Last edited:
I am a newbe, 65yo ready to retire in 6 months. I have been on freshwater all my life. I took up scuba a few years ago and fell in love with the Caribbean. Thus I am looking for a trawler. I am in Nashville and would love to learn on the rivers, should have started a few years ago! I have been looking for 6 months, and I am narrowing it down. 38-45' sundeck, low HP like 120-135 fords, I really want a low burn rate like 2.5gal/ hr @ 7kts. I really want to travel, not sit at the dock, so burn rate is important, dream of doing the Caribbean Loop if there is sure a thing. So humbly seek advice from you ole salts to guide me.
I have seen a few singles, but I think for the age/ price I am looking for, it might be better to go twin. I am looking at 1980's in the 60-90k range. I am very skilled mechanically, but don't want to spend my whole retirement repairing! Lot of asian boats for sale.
Question #1 39' Heritage , 25,000# twin 6BT5-9 Cummins 210hp expected burn rate?
Question # If you run a semiplaning hull at 7kts, can you expect same fuel burn as same boat with semi displacment?
I have many more questions, I will pause for a while and listen. Steve

I believe it will be difficult to find a sundeck in that length and twins that gets that fuel burn. Try dropping down to a 35-36 footer with twin 90 lehmans (which is what I have) or 85 Perkins. You probably can't do a Caribbean loop but you can do the Bahamas, Abacos, and Exumas with it. Just remember, 7 knots is probably with no current. Therefore, with 2-3 knot currents at a minimum, you could be seeing a range from 4-10 knots depending on the tide. I know the whereabouts of a 36ft heritage with twin 90s if interested. No generator though. Good Luck!

My 40 ft Heritage East Sundeck is for sale. Meets all your requirements. 2.0 gal per hour at 7-8 kts. Twin Perkins 6.534 NA diesels.

Pm me for details

I need to rename the thread, I was hoping more responses. I have read a lot on the forum, and I know there is a lot of experienced ole salts that can help me. How do I change thread title? I was planning to look at Winnie the Pooh this week, but business has canceled Vacation.

Steve,

Send me a PM and I'll change the title to whatever you want...within reason!

There are lots of variables but stability, draft and having a protected prop should be high on the list for shallow, rough waters. I have twins in the shallow but forgiving bottom of the SF Bay/California Delta, but there have been times I wish I had a single with better prop protection.

Listen to those guys who have spent time in the big waters of the Caribbean. I have no experience there, but after recently hearing stories from a fellow TFer about his experiences, it opened my eyes to the way it is on the "outside". It was especially interesting hearing his Admiral's side of the story!! (Cheers, Deb!!) So I'll enjoy my protected waters while reading the tales of the brave and hearty souls on the outside.

Welcome aboard the Trawler Forum!

Steve:

One man's thoughts on what is needed for a trawler in the Eastern Caribbean:

Trawler suggestions for Eastern Caribbean

Full displacement hull – although Nordic/American tug might work
Single engine or small twins
Powerful up and down windlass
200 + feet of chain and an oversized anchor, 60lbs or more
SSB Radio with the 21’ antenna
Watermaker, suggest either large 600 gallons per day if ac, or a smaller 12 v unit that can be run without generator on
significant charger 100amps plus depending on refrigeration, make sure one charger can take 50hz
Efficient refrigeration – if a household unit (110v) beware of the battery draw. Desired is a Danfoss compressor,
8kw generator, basically not a large one, as the eastern Caribbean does not require airconditioning
Stabilization, either active or paravanes
Dinghy lift either davits or some sort of power lift to upper deck
Wash down at bow
Master stateroom that gets ventilation at anchor, either a bow stateroom with a hatch or a Grand Banks type trawler with a hatch over the aft cabin.
Size 36 to 48 feet
If coming from North America install wind generator and solar panels before leave
Fuel polishing system, simple just a pump and a filter for circulating
Propane cooking

Good luck finding the boat of your dreams

... I have twins in the shallow but forgiving bottom of the SF Bay/California Delta, but there have been times I wish I had a single with better prop protection. ...

img_246804_0_fcf84253588fb7f57bb2821df230c11f.jpg

Marty, thanks, so much to learn!!

I have lived in the Eastern Caribbean on various sailboats for about half of the last 30 years. I have delivered numerous boats from the US mainland to Puerto Rico and the Virgin Islands. In my opinion there is a significant difference in the type boat that is going to be fun once you are getting South of the Bahamas. The number of days that the wind blows less than 15 knots and the seas are not 3-5ft swell with a nice chop on top are pretty rare. Passages might look like a short run between islands on the chart, but doing the 35 miles between Antigua and Guadalupe on a 40 something "Sundeck" Trawler is one of the last voyages that I would do for pleasure. If you really think that you want to go boating in the Tradewind Belt I suggest spending a couple of weeks on a nice sailboat charter with a captain cruising the Grenadines or the Leeward Islands. This will give you an idea of what the ocean really is like in this part of the world. The Bahamas and East Coast ICW are a whole different ballgame.

We have a single screw Lehman in a 35' Marine Trader which sips fuel gently. Prior owner took her to Bahamas and Martha's Vineyard. Easy to access and fix. My only complaint now, is being a big-dog owner, the sundeck makes it hard to lift up rover to the boat. We only do about 7 knots, but don't burn much doing it. Two cabins, two heads is nice for guests. Simple boat, simple owner. Larger would be nice, but is a big boat for it's size and similar size-owners have said same.

Billyfeet: I see your experience begins with one of the most infamous of inlets on the east coast. My first trawler shakedown was going out Jupiter Inlet......something I won't be forgetting very soon. Anyway, good advice and welcome to the forum.

Steve:

One man's thoughts on what is needed for a trawler in the Eastern Caribbean:

Trawler suggestions for Eastern Caribbean

Full displacement hull – although Nordic/American tug might work
Single engine or small twins
Powerful up and down windlass
200 + feet of chain and an oversized anchor, 60lbs or more
SSB Radio with the 21’ antenna
Watermaker, suggest either large 600 gallons per day if ac, or a smaller 12 v unit that can be run without generator on
significant charger 100amps plus depending on refrigeration, make sure one charger can take 50hz
Efficient refrigeration – if a household unit (110v) beware of the battery draw. Desired is a Danfoss compressor,
8kw generator, basically not a large one, as the eastern Caribbean does not require airconditioning
Stabilization, either active or paravanes
Dinghy lift either davits or some sort of power lift to upper deck
Wash down at bow
Master stateroom that gets ventilation at anchor, either a bow stateroom with a hatch or a Grand Banks type trawler with a hatch over the aft cabin.
Size 36 to 48 feet
If coming from North America install wind generator and solar panels before leave
Fuel polishing system, simple just a pump and a filter for circulating
Propane cooking

Good luck finding the boat of your dreams

Valuable Information!!!! My thoughts, "Buy your last boat first, cheaper that way".

8kw generator, basically not a large one, as the eastern Caribbean does not require air conditioning.

Not sure I'd agree with those. While it's breezy down there. It's also hot often. So while some could live without A/C, many could not.

Plus there is as you mention the issue of good ventilation. While many trawlers may have it, there is the issue of security while getting it.

Many trawlers have windows and hatches you can open to get good cross ventilation. But then you have to deal with the issue of how do you go about keeping some one out of your boat, especially at night, while having everything open to the breeze?

An 8kw genset can handle 2 or even 3 A/C units plus some other light A/C loads as well. So you don't need a large Genset to be able to have on board A/C. Especially at night when you A/C loads would lower.

You may want to consider a Hatteras 42 Long Range Cruiser. Typically powered by twin Detroit 4-53's. Tough, beautiful, great resale. May be initially higher than you are looking for as far as initial investment is concerned. Great boats.

To add more info.....if you are good with mechanical work and also handy in general there are some great deals on Grand Banks 42 Classics out there. A great boat with the Ford 120 engine. They will take you to the Caribbean and back. Reasonable fuel consumption considering the benefits of twin engines. Also a fine Bahamas/ICW/Keys cruiser with comfortable bed, good shower, excellent original quality. Since they are getting old now how they have been taken care of is of great importance. And if you can find one with a single, jump on it!

Plus there is as you mention the issue of good ventilation. While many trawlers may have it, there is the issue of security while getting it.

Many trawlers have windows and hatches you can open to get good cross ventilation. But then you have to deal with the issue of how do you go about keeping some one out of your boat, especially at night, while having everything open to the breeze?

On Bay Pelican we installed removable bars (1" stainless tubing") on the salon windows so that we can leave the windows open when we sleep. This allows us to open the sliding windows approximately 14". The hatch over our bed has a bar that we can leave in place - padlocked- to cool off the boat during the day. At night for sleeping we remove the bar.

Running the generator for air conditioning is out of our price range. Diesel is $5 US per US gallon or approximately $5 per hour to sleep. Only trawler I am aware of that did this at anchor in the eastern Caribbean was a Hatteras with the lower level main cabin aft of the engines. No choice in that case.

With a hatch over our berth and on hot nights and a 12 volt fan we are fine, although we do not even need a sheet over us while sleeping. Temperature in the stateroom is approximately 78 degrees Fahrenheit (25.5C).

Back
Top Bottom