Thread: Central Indiana
View Single Post
Old 06-29-2014, 10:03 AM   #11
SaltyDog

Greetings. Steven's Marine and the Mariner's Network are the two most visible brokerages in the area. Michigan City is a great home port. There is one facility on Trail Creek called Bridges that has had rooms to rent (at least up until two years ago. I missed last year and have had next to no time this year - yet).

There are a number of nice boats in your price range, but most are twin gas engined. The popular boat among the fishing charter guys is the 32 Marinette. Aluminum boats with twins that they find more economical than other similar boats. Not so sure they are loop economical though. Many of the boats have been in only freshwater. That certainly is a plus.

I think half the people in boating have plans to do much more cruising than they actually have the time and money to make a reality. What would work for active local boating, somewhere around 200 hours a season, and what would be needed for looping even at a leisurely 25 hours a week is a big difference. If you haven't spent time living with a bigger boat and maintaining one it might be worth looking at getting that experience while health and time permit. Local boats that are quite acceptable for local use are selling slow, so there are bargains out there. The price of fuel is one of the factors.

There are not that many boats that fit your criteria, but all boats are compromises.

Give a shout - I hope to be around next weekend.
SaltyDog is offline   Reply With Quote