View Single Post
Old 06-26-2014, 02:51 PM   #5
ghost
Guru

City: Anacortes
When I was doing a blister job on my Penn Yan and letting it dry out over the winter years ago, I would take the hose every week and wash it down. The moisture in the hull you want to remove is partly liquid styrene. Water mixes with it under pressure when in the water causing the styrene to mix with the water and become a weak styrene solvent that then dissolves more styrene etc. Sitting in the water the pressure causes it to absorb and dilute the styrene out of the resin. Out of the water you don't have that absorption problem so long as you don't have water sitting in your unprotected bilge. It actually found it beneficial to rinse the hull periodically to help it to "dry" out as you really need to rinse as much of that styrene out as possible. As it "dry's more will come to the surface, you would rather get rid of it to help stop the cycle. Since the styrene acts as solvent, you want to get rid of it quicker than rely just on evaporation. Over time, the moisture oozing out of the blisters loses its stink, that's one way you know the hull has "dried" out.
ghost is offline   Reply With Quote