Fender arrangement on a dock

The friendliest place on the web for anyone who enjoys boating.
If you have answers, please help by responding to the unanswered posts.

timjet

Guru
My boat is currently tied up at a dock, not a slip. This is temporary, probably until December. I have 3 fenders out, the cylindrical type tied to the pilings. The problem is they will not stay in a position to fend off the boat, they rotate around the pilings allowing the boat to bang up against the piling.
I've remember seeing some creative ways to prevent this. Some folks have used a 2x4 board tied to fenders, but I can't remember how they did this. Anybody have suggestions on how best to accomplish this.

Tim

Tim, place the fenders on your boat at appropriate height and intervals, then with ropes from the rail each end, suspend a plank about 2"x6"or 8", (2x4 might do at a pinch, but wider easier on the fenders), and longer than the distance between the foremost and aft-most fender, and the gap between the piles of the dock as well, of course, so the plank is about midway up and outboard of the fenders. That way the plank comes in contact with the dock, with fenders between it and the boat, and it will always move with the boat and stay doing the job, with the fenders cushioning the boat from the plank.

Funny about that saying, a picture is worth a thousand words - it's kinda right.....

Actually, while writing my newsletter, a picture is worth about 50 words, depending on it's size.
smile.gif

You must use big words Keith

Charles,
Nice web site. Your wife is a very patient and understanding woman that has taught you a thing or two.

I like your idea of a home made fender board. My concern as you mentioned is the possibility of a fender slipping behind the board and leaving the boat unprotected. This is especially a concern for me because my boat is left unattended for a week at a time. However in viewing Hollywood's two web site suggestions above, perhaps combining the two ideas is a good semi-permanent solution that gives more protection than the carpet. In the PVC idea the author attaches the fenders to the PVC pipe in such a way as the PVC and fender cannot separate. I would not use PVC as my boat is much to heavy, however substituting a 2x8 for the PVC would add the necessary strength.

I'm considering copying your carpeted 2x6 ends. These would make a perfect temporary docking solution for an overnight or passing through a lock. I love your GLOB-D idea with the hose clamps on a boat pole. Now I just gotta find a website that shows how to make that splice.

Thanks Charles.

Thanks Keith, I'm printing it now and will take it to the boat in the morning.

The link I posted shows you how to braid every kind of rope. Just pick the one you're working with.

Have a look at "Freedom Fenders" They are designed to hang horizontally. I bought a pair a few years ago and have been a godsend. Made by Taylor Marine. Google it.

Attachments

• freedom.jpg
    freedom.jpg
    20.7 KB · Views: 437

Latest posts

Back
Top Bottom