Prop Recondition or Not?

The friendliest place on the web for anyone who enjoys boating.
If you have answers, please help by responding to the unanswered posts.

Wxx3

Dauntless Award
Vessel Name
Dauntless
Vessel Make
Kadey Krogen 42 - 148
Prop Recondition or Not?

Pictures of prop now to follow.

My current thoughts:

Yes, do it:

1. Boat is out of the water
  2. two smallish dings, one large one
  3. Hopefully it'll be another two years before she's out of the water again.
  4. It's only money

No, leave it alone:
  1. Cost$. I will not have money for fuel once in europe at this rate
  2. It's working fine, has not fallen off in over 7k nm and no vibrations
  3. It's working fine, leave it alone. It hasnt fallen off yet.
  4. It's working fine. Period

Your thoughts?

ForumRunner_20140625_092459.jpg

ForumRunner_20140625_092441.jpg

ForumRunner_20140625_092530.jpg

Fix the prop! It's not that much money. You'll have better fuel economy, less vibration which in turn will save your cutlass bearing and potentialy your transmission.

When Larry talks, I have to listen, for if I don't, I beat myself up more than he does.

Interestingly enough, I was really leaning towards not doing it, but having seen the pictures i posted, it put it in a context that if someone else was asking the question, how would I answer?

I answer a lot of my own questions on this forum, that way.

Thanks all.

I better get it on my Amex before they cut me off.

With the damage to that prop in those pics there is absolutely no question.. that prop is thrashed!
Fix it for sure. If I understand this correctly.. you are taking the boat to Europe.. but you question the cost to repair that prop?.

Damage that bad can , toast the cutlass bearing, stern tube, stuffing box, coupler, transmission, motor mounts.. not to mention drive you nuts with vibration.

HOLLYWOOD

Plus, with that much damage there just might be some "issues" that a good prop shop can determine via their inspection.
Such as small fractures for one, that will only propegate.

I'll pile on; that must be addressed. Make sure you use a Prop Scan shop, or one with the same functionality as PropScan. It will make a big difference for all the reasons noted.

Fix it, that is a well beat up prop. There could be hidden problems and as said above it can't be good for the gutless bearing, tranny and engine mounts.
I would be surprised if a good prop did not add fuel efficiency

Last edited:
Thanks All

:surrender:

Thanks All.

Will do. I promise.

Better to do it while the boat is out of the water and on your own territory. Many European boat yards see 'Old glory' and treble the price.

A work in progress.

I replaced the speed transducer with a new Maretron transducer.
Wonderful.
Now, the prop and I am adding a different up down line for the Paravanes.

As each project is done, I'll write and pictures

ForumRunner_20140625_143732.jpg

I just had two props reconditioned. They were pretty bad but not as bad as yours. The edges are rolled over about 3/16". Millers Island Propeller in Baltimore did both for a little over $600

Ahhhh leave it alone, like a flat tire, it's only flat on the bottom and you have the other three blades that look ok.

;)

Richard, H&H is good in Salem Ma. They have pickup and delivery to most yards in the greater Boston area, probably including providence.

Latest posts

Back
Top Bottom