Albin 25 Fisherman?

The friendliest place on the web for anyone who enjoys boating.
If you have answers, please help by responding to the unanswered posts.

Greg

I'm interested in the Fisherman version of the Albin 25, I don't need the aft cabin. Found one for sale but it has a 60 HP turbo diesel engine in it. To my knowledge the Fisherman has the same hull as all the others of it's year and a 60 HP is double the size of what is necessary or wanted. Is that correct?

Greg,
This post passed me by. I had an Albin 25 for 4 years or so w 34 hp Yanmar. I cruised at 8.5 knots at 2750 rpm and on our Alaska trip 7.35 knots at 2400 rpm (I think). Looks like it took about 27hp to run at 8.5 knots. Would go 10.5 to 11 at WOT. 8.5 knots was the limit as the bow got too high for reasonable visibility. 60 hp? ridiculous of course but not unusable if the price was right. Aft abin? There was on in Ketchikan that lay in Myers Chuck in the summer. The only Fisherman I've seen and I've seen over 50 Albins as we are members of The Albineers of BC.

You should be aware that there are two different hulls. The early one w narrower stern and the later one that's more semi-disp. It has a hooked after bottom that keeps the bow down but I think it does too god a job and the boat is no faster. I personally prefer the old style hull.

I've seen two aft cabin boats converted to open aft cockpits. That may or may not lower the resale value. I sure don't know where any "Fishermen" are but there usually are several Albins for sale listed in the web site for the Albineer's club. Good luck.

Thanks for the reply. It certainly appears to be a Fisherman model, not surgery project. The motor is a Yanmar 4jh-hte 60 Hp with 2000 Hrs. Owner says at 3100 rpm she makes 9-10 kts ans he cruises at 2500 rpms / 7-8 kts. does that sound about right?

The cons I see with this oversized motor are weight, size and maybe additional complexity. That motor must be stuffed in the there and access could be dififcult.

Asking price is 15k, with trailer, boat looks clean, but no extras like electronics

What are your thoughts?

Boat is a 1973 model.

Last edited:
"What are your thoughts?" .... positive.

I thought the JH was 55hp and naturally aspirated and if it was turbo'd it should have more power. Perhaps the "hte" dosn't mean turbo.

NO problem w the weight. The original engine was 22hp 2 cyl. and could weigh as much as the Yanmar. The owners speed and rpm numbers sound spot on. Don't worry about the access to the engine. The engine "room" is like a big FG suit case split low on a belt line w a big "O" ring seal to keep noise and air out. There is a sophisticated vent system that breathes from vents on the aft catwalk. Best I've ever seen. The "hood" over the engine opens on hinges. Engine access is excellent .. FAR better than my 30' Willard.

These boats usually sell for more so don't sit on the dock for long.

Last edited:
I just checked the Yanmar website and it is a turbo. Thanks for your input! The more I think about it, the more I'm talking myself out of it.
It just seems to me that the most important and expensive part of this 41 year old boat is the engine. This engine is clearly the wrong engine for this boat and a repower pushes the proce too high for me. Part of the attraction of these boats for me was the small, simple diesel power plant, and this is a high power, turbo, monster, so to speak.

Again, thanks for the firsthand information, guess I just needed to think it through for myself.

We've owned 2 Albin 25's over the years.

The first, a 1976 Albin Deluxe, had the newer hull and a 36 HP Volvo. It's top speed was supposed to be 11 knots, which may have been the case, but in the days before GPS and not having a speedometer I'm not sure what her top actually was. In any event she was happier around 7 knots.

Our second was 1972-74 (nobody, including the previous two owners, was sure) and had the older hull with a relatively new 27HP Yanmar. She cruised happily at 6.5 knots and flat out would do a neck snapping 7.2 knots.

So although the model you are looking at is overpowered, it isn't the end of the world to have that extra power for those times when you want to get in out of the weather or get through a pass or the like. Fuel economy at 7 knots or so will still be astonishingly good.

Greg,
Something to think about is that the JH engine is a lot better than having an old Volvo. At the loads you'll be running you'll never notice the turbo. Unless it's rough that price is good. Buying an old boat I usually advise my friends to find one that has been re powered. The Albin's fuel tank is SS but most old boats don't look good to me unless they've been re powered and re tanked.

Go for a run in the boat and if it's smooth, quiet and the remainder of the boat in good to fair shape you'd almost be a fool to pass this one up. Hire a surveyor to see if the engines been installed well and to look at other things like wiring.

The next Albin you look at will be more money and probably an old engine. And lots of those old volvo's were sea water cooled. 30 to 40 years of sea water isn't ideal. Speaking of sea water cooling check to make sure the turbo on the Yanmar isn't sea water cooled. I'd probably pass on the boat if it was but I suspect it's not. Others here are much more knowledgeable on that also.

Greg,
Something to think about is that the JH engine is a lot better than having an old Volvo. At the loads you'll be running you'll never notice the turbo. Unless it's rough that price is good. Buying an old boat I usually advise my friends to find one that has been re powered. The Albin's fuel tank is SS but most old boats don't look good to me unless they've been re powered and re tanked.

Go for a run in the boat and if it's smooth, quiet and the remainder of the boat in good to fair shape you'd almost be a fool to pass this one up. Hire a surveyor to see if the engines been installed well and to look at other things like wiring.

The next Albin you look at will be more money and probably an old engine. And lots of those old volvo's were sea water cooled. 30 to 40 years of sea water isn't ideal. Speaking of sea water cooling check to make sure the turbo on the Yanmar isn't sea water cooled. I'd probably pass on the boat if it was but I suspect it's not. Others here are much more knowledgeable on that also.

Excellent advice.

Latest posts

Back
Top Bottom