Painting with Awlgrip

The friendliest place on the web for anyone who enjoys boating.
If you have answers, please help by responding to the unanswered posts.
Good post Carl. After 18 months with the new paint job, I'm still refining our repair technique.
With fiberglass, you process is a bit simpler but should be similar. I'm sure other brands are as good, but I have come to love Awlgrip. Not that impressed with Awlcraft to be honest, and I don't really see it as being any easier to work with although I gather it is more environmentally friendly.

I saw that on the Hatteras site too and I'm not sure whether it's accurate. I do know as Caltex said they had started using AlexSeal instead. Westport also uses AlexSeal, to add to the list. AlexSeal has picked up a good market share over the last few years.

With fiberglass, you process is a bit simpler but should be similar. I'm sure other brands are as good, but I have come to love Awlgrip. Not that impressed with Awlcraft to be honest, and I don't really see it as being any easier to work with although I gather it is more environmentally friendly.

We had AwlGrip Topcoat on Hobo when we repainted with AwlCraft 2000 in Trinidad. I had wanted to try Axlseal but the best painter had the most experience with the AwlCraft. AwlCraft 2000 is not as hard a finish being an acrylic but is a little easier for me to repair. Ask me in another 10 years.

As far as being environmentally friendly, AwlCraft 2000 is still pretty nasty. The VOC's are very high IMHO.

We had AwlGrip Topcoat on Hobo when we repainted with AwlCraft 2000 in Trinidad. I had wanted to try Axlseal but the best painter had the most experience with the AwlCraft. AwlCraft 2000 is not as hard a finish being an acrylic but is a little easier for me to repair. Ask me in another 10 years.

As far as being environmentally friendly, AwlCraft 2000 is still pretty nasty. The VOC's are very high IMHO.
I can't tell the difference in smell between the two either. Also, I find the color just a tad different between the two, so as long as you stick to Awlcraft, no issue.

Awl grip is a nightmare. Hard to touch up, and need lot of drying time brush or spray.

That is why the company sells Awlcraft a variation of Awlgrip that is much more DIY friendly and is easier to patch and repair. The finished job looks the same and only a small degradation in expected life. With the ease of repair and patching it may well last as long as paint that is hard to repair and you end up with all or none situation. I have owned 5 boats with Awlgrip and now one with Awlcraft cant tell the difference.

Here's what AwlGrip says about the differences between AwlCraft 2000 and AwlGrip Topcoat:

Topcoats

The Awlgrip Premium Urethane Topcoat is a polyester based polyurethane coating which can be applied by spray, brush, roller or the roller/brush combination. Awlgrip provides excellent chemical and abrasion resistance, along with outstanding color retention.

Awlcraft 2000 is an acrylic based polyurethane coating designed only for spray application. It is designed for the yard, applicator or owner who is willing to sacrifice a little durability to have a faster curing, more easily repaired finish.

I'm a Sterling man but a friend painted his GB with Alexseal which is Awlgrip's original owners company and boasting it's much better. He loves it and did it himself. He's trying to convince me to change.

He said after the covenant of non competition expired he came out with a much better product.

Others pointed out that the painters they hired were use to Awlgrip and, therefore, wanted to use it. If they've been successfully painting recently with Awlgrip that's great and good reason. However, many of them have not painted with current Awlgrip and try to use their old methods leading to problems. This isn't your father's Awlgrip. That's a reminder that whatever product is used one needs to make sure they read the current instructions and recommendations.

That's a reminder that whatever product is used one needs to make sure they read the current instructions and recommendations.

Does allgrip still suggest vertical brushing rather than fore & aft?

Others pointed out that the painters they hired were use to Awlgrip and, therefore, wanted to use it. If they've been successfully painting recently with Awlgrip that's great and good reason. However, many of them have not painted with current Awlgrip and try to use their old methods leading to problems. This isn't your father's Awlgrip. That's a reminder that whatever product is used one needs to make sure they read the current instructions and recommendations.

Which AwlGrip product has changed it's formulation?

I was talking to a paint supplier in Seattle a few years ago and he was talking about AwlGrip and the recent failures they had. One of them was on a super yacht and there was a million dollar law suit against AwlGrip over that fiasco.

I know that was hearsay and I never read anything about it, but the supplier was the one who sold the paint.

Sterling never changed their formula. I see boats painted with both and within four to five years you can see major differences between the reformulated AwlGrip and Sterling finishes.

This is why my friend used Alexseal instead of AwlGrip. Sterling is almost impossible to get here now.

Here's what AwlGrip says about the differences between AwlCraft 2000 and AwlGrip Topcoat:

Topcoats

The Awlgrip Premium Urethane Topcoat is a polyester based polyurethane coating which can be applied by spray, brush, roller or the roller/brush combination. Awlgrip provides excellent chemical and abrasion resistance, along with outstanding color retention.

Awlcraft 2000 is an acrylic based polyurethane coating designed only for spray application. It is designed for the yard, applicator or owner who is willing to sacrifice a little durability to have a faster curing, more easily repaired finish.
Perhaps, but I just haven't noticed Awlgrip not drying fast enough. I lay on multiple coats about 5 to 10 minutes apart but I guess it isn't dry until the next day. I also can't really tell the difference in time to repair, although I don't have much experience with Awlcraft in that regard. It's the "less durable" part that worries me, but I have no clue how to calibrate that.

I roll and tip awlcraft 2000 and yes it can dry quick but i use that to my advantage it works really well. prep is the key plus use crater x and i use foam rollers and a good quality brush

Attachments

• IMG_1664.JPG
    IMG_1664.JPG
    106.9 KB · Views: 152
  • IMG_1666.JPG
    IMG_1666.JPG
    102.5 KB · Views: 150
  • IMG_1775.JPG
    IMG_1775.JPG
    89 KB · Views: 157
  • 20140614_145907.jpg
    20140614_145907.jpg
    84.9 KB · Views: 142
  • IMG_1680.JPG
    IMG_1680.JPG
    100.2 KB · Views: 178
  • 20140610_191526.jpg
    20140610_191526.jpg
    60.1 KB · Views: 151
  • IMG_1762.JPG
    IMG_1762.JPG
    107.1 KB · Views: 155
  • IMG_1899.JPG
    IMG_1899.JPG
    101.9 KB · Views: 204
Greetings,
We are in the throes of a repaint with Alexseal. As I key, a third coat of primer is going on sanding between coats. We thought 2 coats of primer would suffice but we could see ghosting of the dark fairing compound after the 2 coats. So a third coat it is. As mentioned, prep is THE key. Used 1 gallon (2X .5 gallons) of Alexseal fairing compound. Plan to finish with 2 topcoats. Nice job Mr. sm.

RTF, just curious what made you decide on Alexseal?

Re your problem with the fairing compound showing through, I have previously repaired spots on my boat where a light sanding/polishing has broken through the paint exposing the fairng compound & epoxy. Why can't the epoxy & fairing be tinted with a bit of white colorant? I have noted on a few brands that colourant (I wish these pesky spell checkers would quit highlighting colour as a spelling error) can be added but nobody seems to do it. Anyone know of a reason?

It has been a long time since I did any painting but polyurethanes scared me. They contain isocyanates and extreme care must be taken to avoid breathing fumes or skin contact. Forced air respirators are a must.

Organic solvents can cause "painters dementia"

Greetings,
Mr. KC. Due to the "problems" associated with AwlGrip we made the decision to go with Alexseal and used the Alexseal fairing compound to minimize/eliminate any non compatibility issues. If you're using a PC you can add the word colour to the spell check dictionary.

It has been a long time since I did any painting but polyurethanes scared me. They contain isocyanates and extreme care must be taken to avoid breathing fumes or skin contact. Forced air respirators are a must.

Organic solvents can cause "painters dementia"
Having painted a speed boat with IMRON and 3 clear coats with glass flakes when I was 23 years old in a both with no respirator I lost 3 days of my life. I don't remember driving home and my wife said my underwear was the colour of the boat. I had a tremendous headache as I came out of the fog almost 2 and a half days later she said I never moved off the sofa. At 58 I wonder how many years I took off my life? Under no circumstances would I mess with these type of paints. I now leave that to the pro's. I kinda wonder if I'll get Dementia when I get older? I show no signs of it now. It's really nothing to mess with. This post isn't meant to be funny.
By the way the boat looks great I'd say it looks excellent.
Bill

Last edited:
Indeed Bill, there is a lot of information on the web about the dangers of these coatings. I was very good with lacquer on cars but quit one I learned about the dangers of exotic coatings. The label on Awlgrip says for professional use only and that is probably not just to satisfy the EPA.

Greetings,
We do have professional painters applying the coatings and being in proximity of the application, I can appreciate the odoriferous emanations.
high.gif

I did this back in the mid 1970's before the dangers were addressed. I admit to knowing it was an amateur move one I'll never do again. I'm still quite high functioning but I really wonder if at some point in my life this event will come back to haunt me. I was totally out of it for at least 2 and a half days. I'm pretty sure if I would have gotten pulled over I would have ended up locked up for DUI or in the hospital. Young dumb and stupid but the boat looked awesome...
Bill

I just finished repainting my Cal 39's topsides with Awlgrip. Yes, it had to dry overnight between coats, but in the grand scheme of things, sanding and prepping the mother took way more time than the wait time between the two coats of Awlgrip. I spent 8 days sanding, filling, sanding, washing, priming, sanding, washing, priming, sanding and washing. Whew! The application of Awlgrip was actually fun! Quick, easy, and immediately gratifying!

With no painting experience to speak of, I just rolled it on with West System foam rollers and didn't tip. The paint flattened itself right out for a mirror finish. Amazing stuff! Total cost including haul-out and supplies with myself and a couple friends supplying the labor: just under $1000.

A couple months after application I had a pretty good smack on the dock. It was basically a Capt'n Ron style approach gone wrong, haha. Anyway, it was a good sideswipe along the hard rubber lining on the dock and waddya know: not a scratch! That Awlgrip is hard!

Here is a step-by-step guide complete with products used, price breakdown, and plenty of photos:

Top Paint | 1978 Cal 39 MkII Sailboat

TopPaint-Coat1Beginning-1024x576.jpg

I just finished repainting my Cal 39's topsides with Awlgrip. Yes, it had to dry overnight between coats, but in the grand scheme of things, sanding and prepping the mother took way more time than the wait time between the two coats of Awlgrip. I spent 8 days sanding, filling, sanding, washing, priming, sanding, washing, priming, sanding and washing. Whew! The application of Awlgrip was actually fun! Quick, easy, and immediately gratifying!

With no painting experience to speak of, I just rolled it on with West System foam rollers and didn't tip. The paint flattened itself right out for a mirror finish. Amazing stuff! Total cost including haul-out and supplies with myself and a couple friends supplying the labor: just under $1000.

A couple months after application I had a pretty good smack on the dock. It was basically a Capt'n Ron style approach gone wrong, haha. Anyway, it was a good sideswipe along the hard rubber lining on the dock and waddya know: not a scratch! That Awlgrip is hard!

Here is a step-by-step guide complete with products used, price breakdown, and plenty of photos:

Simply put- brilliant!

I like seeing DIY jobs come off so well!

Nice work, great shine!!

Wow. Just wow. I am going to be surveying YouTube out the wazoo for procedure. I've done minor jobs but am a meticulous learner (some say paranoid) but hope to paint my pilothouse and bridge in the near future. Your job looks fantastic. Thank you for sharing and your pictures.

these are LPU coatings - linear polyurethene. Just like 2 part auto paints. Two flavors - acyrlic polyurethane and polyester polyurethane. Sell for about $100 - $200 a gallon in industrial non marine settings.

a cheap way to go is to use a regular enamel as the pigment coat and then a clear 2 part lpu topcoat. Make sure the 2 part clear has lots of uv blockers (like found in 2 part lpu auto clear coat) - not avaiable (as far as I know) in any 'marine' lpu .

The week link with lpu coatings is their adhesion. they need a primer - generally a thinned epoxy but other 'fresh' solvent based coatings seem to work too.

google LPU coatings or PLU polyurethane etc. to learn more about this class of crosslinking coatings.

Marin:

"But so far we can sand and paint and varnish and wash and polish to our heart's content."

In Edmonds in your own slip, you can only tackle an exterior area of 25% of the boat per year, tarps must cover all open water areas in order to collect dust, no open sanding, electric sanders must be equipped with vacuum equipment and hep filters.

Coming your way Marin.

Back
Top Bottom