Couple fall off boat

The friendliest place on the web for anyone who enjoys boating.
If you have answers, please help by responding to the unanswered posts.

Steve

Guru
Vessel Name
Gumbo
Vessel Make
2003 Monk 36
Seems they both fell off of the boat off Key Largo and treaded water all night picked up at sea off hallandale Beach. Seems very odd and not many details are available. Fourteen hours in the water drifted about 40-50 miles, no life jackets or other safety gear on them.
2 boaters who fell in water rescued hours later | News - Home
It all seems odd to me, any of you folks in South Florida hear anything new?
Hopcar?

Did they have their clothes on?

I know it's odd, I think alcohol might have been in the equation.

I wonder how that conversation went overnight while treading water.

Seems they both fell off of the boat off Key Largo and treaded water all night picked up at sea off hallandale Beach. Seems very odd and not many details are available. Fourteen hours in the water drifted about 40-50 miles, no life jackets or other safety gear on them.

It all seems odd to me, any of you folks in South Florida hear anything new?
Hopcar?

More than odd. Let's see, they were capable of treading water for 14 hours but couldn't swim back to their boat? And boat ended up in Fort Lauderdale?

Here's a quote from one of the fishermen who rescued them:

"I don't know what they were doing when they fell over, but they must've been having a good time," Couch said.

And a more detailed story:

Couple stranded at sea for 13 hours rescued off Hallandale Beach - Sun Sentinel

They were luck to be on that coast

If they had fallen off on the left coast they would have one to two hours in life jackets. The wind can easily move a boat away from you faster than you can swim.

If they had fallen off on the left coast they would have one to two hours in life jackets. The wind can easily move a boat away from you faster than you can swim.

However, if you can tread water for 14 hours, I'd think you'd be a pretty good swimmer. Now, perhaps if you didn't notice the boat for a while. Maybe you got in the water to skinny dip under the moon and stars, got involved in the extra curricular activities that often come with skinny dipping, and then looked up and the boat was long gone.

Well, whatever the rest of the story, they were safely rescued and their boat found. That is good. According to the fishermen, the woman probably could not have gone much longer.

More than odd. Let's see, they were capable of treading water for 14 hours but couldn't swim back to their boat? And boat ended up in Fort Lauderdale?

According to the report the boat was in gear so just left them behind.

According to the report the boat was in gear so just left them behind.

I missed that part. Amazed it made it to Fort Lauderdale then. Of course they were 7 miles off shore when they were found. Bet whatever they did to fall in, they won't do again.

In college, we had a required course (the only required Phys Ed course) in drown proofing. It was aimed at being able to float long periods in the ocean. Technique was upright, treading, actually even float slightly underwater and come up for air. Minimum time to pass the course was 6 hours.

Liked the "moral" of the story : "Drop the anchor before dropping your pants". Good idea, you don`t want bits caught in the outgoing chain.

You all have dirty minds! I'm sure they were fully clothed and were just hit by a rogue wave.

"And were leaning over the stern to see if the water was still there?"

I'm sure that's exactly how it happened.

"Wifey B: Guilty as charged!"

Hubby B is a lucky man.

"And were leaning over the stern to see if the water was still there?"

I'm sure that's exactly how it happened.

"Wifey B: Guilty as charged!"

Hubby B is a lucky man.

Wifey B: His mind is dirty too. He just acts innocent. Well, maybe he actually was until I corrupted him. I must say though that wasn't a hard job. Well, difficult, I meant. Wasn't difficult.

Always fun to joke if everyone ends up ok. Just glad whatever they were doing they were rescued.

Reminds me of a story from years ago, I think also in Florida. Couple was off shore and decided a little skinny dipping was in order. Their little dog, alone on the boat, got all worked up as little dogs do when left alone. Running excitedly around the cockpit of the small open boat, he managed to hit the shifter and put the boat in gear.

Luckily the couple was eventually rescued by helicopter and the boat and dog were recovered OK too.

This stuff really does happen. Glad this ended well.

Notes to self: Turn off engines. Drop anchor. Tie up dog. Strip. Don lifejackets. But not the one with the EPIRB......

Geesh. How'd this get so complicated?

You all have dirty minds! I'm sure they were fully clothed and were just hit by a rogue wave.

Anything is possible...once had a search in the Chesapeake for a guy to took a double dose of PCP, took off his clothes and jumped off the back of the boat...the guy driving the boat from the flybridge said he musta jumped off somewhere between the Sassafrass and Tolchester....about 15 miles..:eek:

Back
Top Bottom