Transmission oil cooler for Perkins 6.354

The friendliest place on the web for anyone who enjoys boating.
If you have answers, please help by responding to the unanswered posts.

Egregious

Guru
Vessel Name
Polly P.
Vessel Make
Monk 36
My mechanic calls me today to let me know he's found an oil cooler for the transmission on my Perkins 6.354.* There's only one existing in the US, and it will be around $800 shipped in from a Perkins dealer in Florida.* This seems high, although he explained that the tubes are made of corrosion resistant nickel etc that is very expensive.* I've heard Perkins are reliable and similar to the Ford Lehman, but when it comes to parts would I have been better off when an American motor?* Are parts like this as expensive?* I welcome any comments.

Just go to a used boat stuff store and find one that looks about the same size or a bit larger*and will fit your hose connections.

Or try these guys:
http://www.mrcool.us/oem/perkins.html?p=2&SID=91uqoul0nm96n4ktl4sf7ujcd3

Learn what your part numbers are and do your own research on this stuff, it will pay you enough money to spend on the other things that are coming up that you don't know about yet.

Welcome to boating.

-- Edited by RickB on Thursday 29th of July 2010 02:14:51 PM

RickB you may have just saved me > $400...* I knew there must be some third party manufacturers for this stuff.* Heck, I'm not putting this thing in a boat show where I need all original parts, I just need a new part that will work.* I've been boating in smaller boats all my life and I realize it is an expensive hobby (hell, a way of life), but 800 bucks for a heat exchanger is ridiculous!* And we haven't even touched the transmission yet.

Thankyou for the pointer, I really do appreciate it.

Egregious wrote:
Thank you for the pointer, I really do appreciate it.
No problem, that's what we're here for right?

These guys make most of the heat exchangers for marine and other uses. Check their catalogue or give them a call. They sell direct at way better prices than the OEM folks. I'd highly recommend the copper-nickle exchangers, they last a lot longer.
http://www.sendure.com/

I have a complete engine I purchased as a core to rebuild,* but may be parting it out instead.* It has coolers, but they are a different style than my current engines so I can't use them.* If you have time to wait, I'll be back in Seattle where the engine is in a month or so, and could determine exactly what they are.* Other parts, or the complete core will be available too............Arctic Traveller

Keith wrote:

These guys make most of the heat exchangers for marine and other uses. Check their catalogue or give them a call. They sell direct at way better prices than the OEM folks. I'd highly recommend the copper-nickle exchangers, they last a lot longer.
http://www.sendure.com/
More sound advice.* Thanks again.* Now I am beginning to doubt the mechanic.* When I asked for alternatives to the OEM part he should have had some after market suggestion, IMHO.

Call Trans Atlantic Diesel at 800-927-9295, give them the serial number for your engine and they can fix you up. Last summer I replaced the oil cooler for my transmission; cost $295. Engine heat exchanger was $395 + 25 shipping for both. I looked on the SenDure site and it was a little more. I have a Perkins 4-236.
Mike
Baton Rouge

Gulf Comanche wrote:

Call Trans Atlantic Diesel at 800-927-9295, give them the serial number for your engine and they can fix you up. Last summer I replaced the oil cooler for my transmission; cost $295. Engine heat exchanger was $395 + 25 shipping for both. I looked on the SenDure site and it was a little more. I have a Perkins 4-236.
Mike
Baton Rouge
TransAtlantic would only quote me the* Perkins original manufacturer part $900 + !!!

Once I get the part out I'll get a third party replacement for around $400 I think.

Gulf Comanche wrote:

Mike
Baton Rouge
I called them, gave them the engine S/N and they quoted me $900+ for the core alone!* They said they only sold Perkins parts.* My engine is a 6.3544.* After removing the whole thing the "other side" of the cooler which cools the engine oil is all ate up as well and it should be replaced.* So my choices so far are to get two cores at $900 a piece from Trans Atlantic, or get the whole shooting match from Sen-dure for $419.* They can deliver the new cooler in four weeks, but I'll save a boat buck in the process.* And I'm considering ordering two so I can change the starboard side as a proactive measure.

I took pictures of the removed unit with a tape measure along side in various positions, and e-mailed it to them, *and Sen-dure came right back with the reccomended item.** I know boating is an expensive hobby, and that the sale price is the smallest expense, but I will be GodDangded if I will spend $1800 on two heat exchanger cores.

If anyone has anything to add here feel free.* I've been reading these forums for a while now and trying to learn as much as possible, but I never thought I'd end up paying this much for an oil cooler.

If my mechanic approves, I will buy two units from Sen-dure for $419 apiece and replace them on both port and starboard engines -- if I have to wait 4 weeks for the part I might as well save some trouble down the road.

Sendure usually has two product lines one lower priced and one with more expensive materials.

At least they used to when we were OEM .

Get the one that suits your needs best.

They also sell Y strainers in 1 inch.

We install them after every rubber impeller pump under 1 inch, so when (not IF ) the impeller chunks , all the little pieces are in the strainer , not in the engine and heat exchanger.

Offshore boat trick,but useful to anyone that is lazy.

Egregious wrote:
If my mechanic approves ...

Who is working for whom?*
confuse.gif

If the guy doesn't "approve" and wants you to buy his $900 units, find another mechanic ... today.

I'm curious, not being familiar with Perkins engines as marinized for boats. But a high-quality, cupro-nickel engine oil or transmission fluid heat exchanger for the Ford Lehman 120 costs somewhere between $100 and $200 and the last time I bought one it was a lot closer to $100 than $200. Are the coolers for a Perkins that much different?

-- Edited by Marin on Saturday 7th of August 2010 08:53:18 PM

chiropaul wrote:

Probably a little late at this point, but try Lenco here on LI, NY who is an aftermarket supplier of all types of coolers. http://www.lencocoolers.com
BINGO!* I am ordering two from Lenco*and having them replaced on both port and starboard since I figure the other one is just as old and might fail in the same way.* As long as someone is working on it they might as well do some proactive maintenance.

To follow up on*a few comments made while I was away:
--"We install them after every rubber impeller pump under 1 inch, so when (not IF ) the impeller chunks , all the little pieces are in the strainer , not in the engine and heat exchanger."

Great idea.* My disassembled exchanger had chunks of impleller in it as you said.

--"Who is working for whom?*
confuse.gif
"

Correct, "if my mechanic approves" meaning if he thinks the part will fit and function correctly.* I'm calling the shots but he is still the expert.* In this case, he suggested going with one from Lenco.

--" Are the coolers for a Perkins that much different?"

Yes, they are very, very expensive!* I've been told it is something to do with the part being foreign, exchange rates, scarcity of the part, the recession etc.* I think it is just a plain old rip-off and I'd be surprised if anyone bought one at that price.* $900 is for the core alone, and each exchanger has two, so I was looking at $1800 for the parts alone for the Perkins.* Instead I'm having them made by Lenco and brackets fabricated for $415 for the whole thing, and with the money I save replace the one on the starboard side too while I'm at it.* Now I know why Lehmans are a bit more attractive for a motor that old -- I guess you can get anything you need straight from American Diesel.

--"Buy 4 of these plate heat exchangers and go play with the boat."
You make it sound so simple...* "ahh just throw some of these babies in there and go play!"* Not being a mechanic, I'd guess I'll need all new hoses and also a fabricated bracket.* But also these things are box shaped and might not even fit well in in such a tight compartment (outboard side).* Plus it says those things are for "Hanging boilers, water heaters, low temperature experiment equipment, small-sized refrigeration equipment, etc.."** Doesn't say anything there about marine diesel engines...

Thanks for all the replies.* I've learned a ton during this experience.* I'll keep everyone posted.

is your boat equipped with the Manicooler combo exhaust manifold and heat exchanger? That's an eye opener to replace.

Latest posts

Back
Top Bottom