What is a trawler?

The friendliest place on the web for anyone who enjoys boating.
If you have answers, please help by responding to the unanswered posts.
Ouch. I drive a 1994 MB station wagon. And I like what I think may be Trawlers. I was cool once upon a time. ****.

All this reminiscing does that suggest that trawlers what ever they are ,are the old man old girl boat type. Re; Studebaker and Packard, I drove a souped up barely street legal 56 Studebaker-Packard Golden Hawk back when. Definitely not an old mans machine.

Wifey B: Like this one? 450px-Studebaker_Golden_Hawk_early.jpg

It's sort of quirky funky cool. Now if they had it in a convertible I'd like it.

Sports cars, bathing suits, station wagons, SUV's, petroglyphs, high performance engines, classic cars, single or twin, planing hull, displacement or that moving target somewhere in between. Should you have authentic fish boat smell or a cheap imitation bottled and sold at the local WM?

This thread has everything except an answer for the OP's question of what is a trawler.

I (and many others) feel that my power everything, AC'd 67 Wildcat "Luxo Muscle Car" is cool! May fire up its professional race car machinest rebuilt 430 cid, 360 hp cross-over-piped dual exhaust late today - or Monday! Vrooom Vrooooom!! :D

Everything is original. Might off-market improve intake manifold and carburation once broken in... we'll see. :dance:

Sports cars, bathing suits, station wagons, SUV's, petroglyphs, high performance engines, classic cars, single or twin, planing hull, displacement or that moving target somewhere in between. Should you have authentic fish boat smell or a cheap imitation bottled and sold at the local WM?

This thread has everything except an answer for the OP's question of what is a trawler.

Wifey B: Nooooooooooooooooooooooooooooo to fish smell.

And the thread did answer his question...Just have to consider it all. Then you know. It is what it is to each person and that's not the same to any two. The totally off the wall, off track, surrender...that answers. There is no simple answer.

It's like asking a group of people what they believe in. Now, me personally, I believe in making it broad and inclusive. I'm not exclusive country club type girl. They want to join in as trawler folk, I don't care what they drive.

But wash it so it doesn't smell like fish, please.

I (and many others) feel that my power everything, AC'd 67 Wildcat "Luxo Muscle Car" is cool! May fire up its professional race car machinest rebuilt 430 cid, 360 hp cross-over-piped dual exhaust late today - or Monday! Vrooom Vrooooom!! :D

Everything is original. Might off-market improve intake manifold and carburation once broken in... we'll see. :dance:

Wifey B: And hubby and I each have our sports cars and with us only putting like 4000 miles a year we might keep them like you have. So 40 years from now we'll be the ones with hot old cars.

Following up on CP, a trawler must be a smelly, converted shrimper w/twin 1,900 HP MTUs, with a 1950 Hudson on the deck and a topless lady driving from a flybridge. The only real question not answered here is: "What kind of anchor should it have?"

Following up on CP, a trawler must be a smelly, converted shrimper w/twin 1,900 HP MTUs, with a 1950 Hudson on the deck and a topless lady driving from a flybridge. The only real question not answered here is: "What kind of anchor should it have?"

A Big One... with toppless lady pilot's twin bending over the bow rail to pull it up and dunk it for cleaning as needed! Of course, being toplesssss tooooo!!

A Big One... with toppless lady pilot's twin bending over the bow rail to pull it up and dunk it for cleaning as needed! Of course, being toplesssss tooooo!!

Wifey B: You know you dudes would have a much better chance of seeing topless girls on boats if you moved to warmer climates. I mean we have topless beaches. Not likely to have such in the PNW or even San Fran. And topless girls on boats in South Florida and the Caribbean all the time. Even our bathing suits. Just saying. Too cold up here to go topless though. Plus rain always in the forecast so have to keep rain gear handy.

Wifey B: A trawler is whatever you wish it to be. It's the boat of your dreams, the one that allows you to see the beauty around, to visit the places you desire. And no one else can mess with your dream.

SUVs will soon or at least eventually become cars that only old people think are cool.

One of my niece's knocked my Buick s an old barge (or something to that effect) but then I caught her talk'in up a big Ford Bronco as cool. I called her on it pointing that the Bronco had performance considerably inferior to my Buick. That my Buick was a sports car by comparison. I said "what's cool about it?". She thought for at least 10 seconds and said "at least it's short".

The thing about the cool things now is that they don't need to conform to basic principals of design. Design being an organized solution to a problem. The SUV came about only to create something different. If something new is vogue I have a problem w it only if serves no purpose other than being vogue. What is the functional purpose of wearing one's baseball hat backwards? Or pulled down so far that one's ears are partially inside the hat. And a four wheel drive PU for the bank clerk that throws mud on it to justify whatever.

Short lived fads have their place but millions of SUVs that serve no purpose other than being different than good vehicle designs is stupid.

Last edited:
All this reminiscing does that suggest that trawlers what ever they are ,are the old man old girl boat type. Re; Studebaker and Packard, I drove a souped up barely street legal 56 Studebaker-Packard Golden Hawk back when. Definitely not an old mans machine.

Like Eyschulman, the great majority of frumpy vehicles I've owned were street sleepers. I greatly enjoyed out-performing the muscle cars of the era with my jalopies. My hoods always had a chain and padlock hanging on them, but beneath was always a surprise.

I'm not sure what happened to that part of me. Now I'm in a frumpy boat with almost 50 percent more HP than it came with, but Frouds Law has exchanged my tire smoking, full throttle burn-outs to unnoticeable prop turbulence. :rolleyes:

Wifey B: A trawler is whatever you wish it to be. It's the boat of your dreams, the one that allows you to see the beauty around, to visit the places you desire. And no one else can mess with your dream.

BINGO! :dance:

"PLEASURE" CRUISER is the operative thought pattern :thumb:

Long as the boat is not a "Working" Trawler!

Just don't ask the scariest question of all...

What is a trawler owner?

You might get a thread that's wayyyyy too similar in drift....:socool:

Wifey B: You know you dudes would have a much better chance of seeing topless girls on boats if you moved to warmer climates. I mean we have topless beaches. Not likely to have such in the PNW or even San Fran. And topless girls on boats in South Florida and the Caribbean all the time. Even our bathing suits. Just saying. Too cold up here to go topless though. Plus rain always in the forecast so have to keep rain gear handy.

Dear Fun Wifey B - - > You just don't know bout being deep into da SF Bay Delta's 1000 + miles of sloughs, islands, and deep rivers fed by the Sierra Nevadas! Warm, no rain, sun laden, not windy weather several months of year with warm, moving fresh water! Winters are fun too! :thumb:

Luv ta swim! :D

Just don't ask the scariest question of all...

What is a trawler owner?

You might get a thread that's wayyyyy too similar in drift....:socool:

OMG - That thread may become a drifting encyclopedia on personalities, physical attributes, and desires... as well as past experiences. We are a pretty Cwazy group - if I do say so myself! :rofl:

We are a pretty Cwazy group - if I do say so myself! :rofl:

Wifey B: Yes you are....hehe. I mean yes we are. But it's good that so many different people with a wide range of boats enjoy the water in much the same way. We might not agree on anything except the joy and pleasure of "trawlering", of being on the water and seeing things and places from there. We're not hung up on fancy or speed, on style or brand. It's not really about the boat even, it's what it allows us to do. We go from newbies to dudes with hundreds of years experience. And we're all crazy by some standards. I mean we can drive 50 miles for $20 in our car but we spend hundreds of thousands to go there by boat. Blinded by the water. But it's so wonderful. If this is crazy, then I'm sure glad I am.

Wifey B: Like this one?

It's sort of quirky funky cool. Now if they had it in a convertible I'd like it.

The Golden Hawk wasn't the beginning of Studebaker's "head turning" designs. Starting with the '49 (Raymond Lowey, I think), I think they began leading Ford and Chevy in the design world, at least for a while. The '53 (I think) Commander and President models really began moving design forward to some of the lines cars have today.

(Even if Detroit did take some weird detours along the way. The big jet-plane inspired fins, for example, were always ugly and useless, no matter what Harley Earl thought. IMO, of course.)

Studebaker-Packard had a nifty "hill holder" thing, which (usually) kept the car from rolling backwards on an incline when the clutch was in. I think designed for stopping at railroad level crossings. But I digress...

Pretty much along with everyone else on the thread.

Our boat is still not a trawler. Even when we run slow. :)

-Chris

I'm not sure what happened to that part of me. Now I'm in a frumpy boat with almost 50 percent more HP than it came with, but Frouds Law has exchanged my tire smoking, full throttle burn-outs to unnoticeable prop turbulence. :rolleyes:

Lol. Really. I did.

Ranger42c wrote
"Studebaker-Packard had a nifty "hill holder" thing, which (usually) kept the car from rolling backwards on an incline when the clutch was in."

That's no longer a has-been feature. My 2014 VW Jetta has it.

Careful Pete, as a medico, you know the dangers of high blood pressure.

That's why,I will not mention last nights game,not a word :D(actually the game was complete rubbish, unlike the gallant Socceroo's)

Sorry, bit late seeing this Andy. Yeah, I'm ok with it actually. The Maroons were a bit over-confident, and if they had one 9 series in a row, I think NSW might have started to lose interest. Now even the dead rubber will be a cracker, and certainly next year will. Actually I don't get my BP up over Rugby Luuureeague anyway, Andy...I'm a Socceroo follower...and All Black follower in the Union, although I like the Wallabies to win unless it's against the Blacks, and now and again, as with the Origin, I don't begrudge then (Wallabies) having a win over them even.

Yeah…we did tell him…as Wifey B said, you just have to tease it out. But if you want a one-liner…

A recreational trawler is a boat that looks quite like a fishing trawler, (because it sure as anything is not a 'speed-boat'), but isn't.
There yah go...

Last edited:
Maybe there is no such thing as a recreational trawler. And when a working trawler is converted to recreational use it loses it's moniker, but maybe not its fish stink.

Ranger42c wrote
"Studebaker-Packard had a nifty "hill holder" thing, which (usually) kept the car from rolling backwards on an incline when the clutch was in."

That's no longer a has-been feature. My 2014 VW Jetta has it.

Progress! :)

-Chris

We looking at your lady under sails

And we just remember we don't show our under her "flashy" dress !
As you can see she is not a trawler she is a...euh:nonono:, who say : "euh..gly" !?:lol:

Attachments

• 100_0508.jpg
    100_0508.jpg
    156.1 KB · Views: 51
  • 100_0532.jpg
    100_0532.jpg
    147.4 KB · Views: 54

Teddybear Cove in Bellingham.

DanBoat.jpg

That's my trawler, it's a GulfStart 43 foot...pretty much a good example of a trawler!

Last edited by a moderator:

Latest posts

Back
Top Bottom