View Single Post
Old 06-11-2014, 07:54 PM   #37
Art
Guru

City: SF Bay Area
Vessel Model: Tollycraft 34' Tri Cabin
Quote:
Originally Posted by FF View Post
This keeps all batts isolated at full charge. When we return (usually 3 month span at longest) all batts still remain in the 90% charge range.

Simple as that – batts last up to 15 years for us. We repeat above sequances over and over.

You must be purchasing some fantastic batts,

Most WLA loose .5% to 3% per day , even when brand new.

To have 15 year old batts loose 10% in 90 days is very impressive.

What brand?
Fred

I don't know why you set the loss on isolated wet batts (or any other type batt for that matter) at ".5% to 3% per day"... brand new or in good condition used?? Longest we usually let batts sit isolated unattended is 90 days. I’ve heard all sorts of “loss” ratios from different contributors, owners, manufacturers, independent labs and the like. I can only relate my own ongoing experiences.

1. Daily loss of .5% per day for 90 days = 45% drop – leaving only 55% remaining... That’s way below what we find with our batts.
2. Daily loss of 3% for 90 days = 270% drop - dead 2.7 times over! No Way Jose!! – Not with our batts...

Wet batts I've had real good luck with are "Interstate" Napa, and "East Penn" (under several brand names). There are undoubtedly more good brands; others I’ve used failed too quickly.

Group 27 starter batt that lasted me 15 years was a Napa... nearing that age batts drop charge way faster than new batts... till they eventually poop out!

I currently have:

- A 2004 group 27 Interstate in my 1T, 4WD Chevy Silverado 4SPD, 325 hp, 350 cid. Often driven, still works like a charm
- 4 - 2008 group 31 Batteries Plus "Xtreme" deep cell batts – always take, hold, and expend charge very well - after 3 months dormant and isolated usually read 85% to 90% remaining according to multi meter. We top em off before leaving dock.
- A 2005 group 31 Interstate deep cell I keep on bench as service batt - I usually put a charger on that about once per 3 month interval. Always check with multi meter first... usually reads around 90% charge still remaining.

IMHO – Besides having well constructed batts the secrets are these for long batt life (note; wet batts – only type I use; have not had and currently don’t want experience with other types):

a. Never let batt go below 50% charge... best to fully recharge from 60% level
b. Never let fluid in cells get anywhere near lead plates – always top off with distilled water
c. Never leave batt for duration with any draw whatsoever – isolate it completely!
d. Never leave any charge going into batt – even a trickle charge

I hear about and read about all the nice new battery charger systems that constantly monitor batts and keep putting top-off charges into batts at discretion of the charger’s computer chip(s). Then I read about batt failures people are having with relatively young batts. All I know is that I keep close tabs on my wet call batts and charge when needed, isolate when needed, top-off with distilled water when needed, and use them to their fullest extended intent – in other words – I treat my batts the way the manufacturer planned and built them to be treated.

I believe that many batt failures are due to improper discharge and recharge as well as simply burning their insides to death by constantly having “smart” chargers’ supplying some sort of charge.

Happy Boat-Batt Daze! - Art
Art is offline   Reply With Quote