Battery trouble

The friendliest place on the web for anyone who enjoys boating.
If you have answers, please help by responding to the unanswered posts.

Pluto

Vessel Name
Hot Shot
Vessel Make
Mainship 390
My boat has (2) D-8 batteries. I recently replaced one. Now the other one has little puddles of electrlite on top of it. Does that mean i need to replace it too? Thanks for any advice. Still learning the boat.

What type of battery charger are you using? I'm concerned that the puddles are from over charging?
Bill

Could mean it got over filled with water, or that it is getting over charged. I take it it is a standard lead-acid. You need two tools and learn how to use them, a hydrometer and a good multi meter.

over filling or over charging as has been said. I'd put a few bucks on the table that you have an old ferro-resonant style charger.

Never replace one battery. the old one draws down the new one.

Sd

Never replace one battery. the old one draws down the new one.Sd
I got away with replacing one of 2 for a year, "the keeper" tested too well to replace, but yes, usually both at once. It could be charging heaps because it can`t hold a charge.

Would a battery isolator between the batteries let you change them one at a time? I also have 2 8Ds and wonder if this will let them live a little longer.

Would a battery isolator between the batteries let you change them one at a time? I also have 2 8Ds and wonder if this will let them live a little longer.

Do you mean "charge" them one at a time?

An isolator or combiner allow the separate batteries or banks to share a charge but not the load. I can charge my house bank and start battery with a single bank charger by using a combiner. When the charge ends, the batteries separate and each supports its own load individually. When the charge continues, the batteries reconnect to share the charge.

Some also have a switch to allow you to defeat the combining when desired.

An ACR or auto charge relay will help, however an isolator isn't much good if you can't voltage sense the voltage at each battery. Otherwise an isolator is nothing more than a high powered set of diodes that cause a .6volt drop to each battery effectively never fully charging either battery.
I'm guessing you might have an original equipment ferro charger meaning it is not a smart 3 stage charger these can bake a battery or batteries if left plugged in and unattended for extended periods of time.
If you can isolated the charger to one battery at a time then a weak battery will not effect a new battery if they are not combined.
Bill

Wow lots of advice from the TF team! Sometimes little puddles are no big deal. Someone said take hydrometer readings, DO IT. Only fill the battery to the correct level. I suggest getting a "fill can" and using it to add DI to the batteries. As for causes of the puddles. Look for overcharging. That would be indicated by voltages in the 14+ range after the battery is topped off. If you don't have a battery monitor, get one so you at least have a feel for what come out of and goes into your batteries. Batteries are like a new girl friend. They take lots of constant attention.

Installed 2 amp trickle chargers to house batteries and another 2 amp to start battery. Have a volt meter in dash. I do wonder at times though when starting out even with house charge light green indicating full charge, that the engine alternator charges at near 30 + amps for several hours on the house batteries. Have used a regular charger which again shows 100% charge yet the same score as with the 2 amp indications, alternator charge is 30 Amps for couple three hours. House batteries are 27's and both new. Eventually the charge settles down to 5+ amps. Strange and yes the batteries ARE like ladies!

Last edited by a moderator:
The 2A charger will usually keep the batt at 12.8 to 13.2 a FLOAT voltage to keep the batt fully charged and not use too much water.

Your engine V reg will want to pump the batts to 14.4 (or so) and then switch back to FLOAT.

If you have many DC users under way fans lights radios AP, the voltage will not drop to float .

Not a problem as the batt can sit at 14 and just use a bit more water .

Some folks will come back to the dock, plug in a batt charger and see the same thing, 14.4v before a decline to 12.8 float.Again no problem.

Last edited:
One more input...

I recently had a gen set stand alone 27 starter batt that was old but still tested great in all forms. Kept finding water on top as well as more and more sulfating on + terminal. Took it to Batteries + Lamps store and had them test it; again came in good. Then he put extreme drain load on that batt and problem showed clear as can be. Seep crack around + terminal had formed and electrolyte was coming up through there onto batt’s top. I probably could have tried some sort of patch repair but seeing as batt was a 2008 model I opted for brand new. BTW - that batt was a NAPA not a Batteries + Lamps. So far with many Batteries + Lamps batts I've had no problem in six years since began using them exclusively (right after purchasing the NAPA that just failed after long service).

Jus Sayen! :popcorn:

Thanks FF. About what I thought. As the boat is a smaller craft, there is not too much demand at rest. I turn off everything but the bilge pump when off the boat. I had done the "Touch the cable to the post" thing without any spark action. No big deal as the batteries post at 14 days on end. The concern is the high rate of charge by the alternator under way for what seems a longer period of time than the at dock charging condition indicated the batteries were (are) fully charged vs: when underway.
Al

Last edited by a moderator:
Thanks FF. About what I thought. As the boat is a smaller craft, there is not too much demand at rest. I turn off everything but the bilge pump when off the boat. I had done the "Touch the cable to the post" thing without any spark action. No big deal as the batteries post at 14 days on end. The concern is the high rate of charge by the alternator under way for what seems a longer period of time than the at dock charging condition indicated the batteries were (are) fully charged vs: when underway.
Al

Al, I suspect your small 2A charger is not sufficiently charging your battery. A true smart charger will apply a beefier charge during the bulk and absorption stages and probably a higher voltage float charge.

I leave my batteries on a smart charger between trips at the slip. An SOC meter confirms that the batteries are full when I arrive at the boat. As a result, my alternators don't need to pump a high current into the batts when leaving the slip.

Installing a smart charger in place of your float charger could help.

FlyWright-

Would you confirm or define a smart charger? I have a non-marine automatic charger that is designed to drop from 12 amp charging to 2 amp when the surge charge is achieved . With the batteries show charged upon return the thinking was to allow the 2 amp which I wired directly to the batteries to continue full charge.

On the tewo house batteries, the plus to one battery and the ground to the other battery. It shows green after a short pause. Same for the start battery.

I have one of the larger emergency portable jump battery and a gen set for that moment when things go bump in the night.
Regards,
Al

There is yet a fourth "stage" or capability in some chargers, "equalization" (see#10 by Xsbank above).Involving periodically, maybe monthly, sending pulses through the battery at a raised voltage, to literally shake sulfur (sulfation) off the plates back into solution. I think it only suits flooded non sealed lead acid types. After fishing out loose bits of plastic separator,I decided that as mine are kept fully solar charged via 4 stage controllers, sulfation was unlikely, equalization was unecessary and potentially harmful. I`ll replace my batteries when necessary,but so far load and hydrometer tests are surprisingly good.

Thanks FlyWright, confirmed. On it. Will purchase one. I recognize a couple the local NAPA carries.
Regards,
Al

I imagine your Ketchikan Napa store carries far more marine quality items than ours in the lower 48. A quality charger can help extend the life of battery banks.

Many don't come with cables. Pay attention to the cable size requirements based upon length/current. Good luck!

Found that out today FlyWright. They carry several amp range. The smallest currently is 30 amp three battery connections. Quote: "You had better have an electrician work this over". Hummmm, There is a 20 amp one battery unit in the lineup and they may obtain one. The 30 amp invoiced out over three hundred dollars which is a bit much for a 27 foot craft. Currently the batteries are holding at 14 amp with the 2 amp charge.
Interesting- NAPA fellow indicated that the 2 amp chargers will go off line if allowed to remain hooked up for long periods. That has been the case although not on a single time schedule. Disconnecting momentarily and they start off again.

Kind of different, NAPA has "Intelligent" chargers, which when read, are nothing more than what I have now, 12 volt, 6 volt, 12 amp/2 amp. Has to be a marketing ploy to offset the "Smart" designation. Some are easily fooled as elections prove.

Regards- Al

Al

Did the Ketchikan NAPA store move? Strolled past there a few weeks ago and it seemed shuttered.

Are you in Ketchikan? Is your DeFever in route with you? Yes, NAPA moved further out across from Taquan Air and the what was the Texaco Station just before Cambria Drive. Nice store, huge in size. Old location has it that Ben Williams of A&P is remodeling to house COSTCO merchandise. That will be interesting concept. He is already carrying COSTCO in the main store.

Wow, thanks TF for all the good information to my question. Someone asked what type of charger I had. Its a "Professional Mariner Protech 4 Series". Probably original to the 2004 boat. It apparently charges those two D8's and the bow thruster battery.

I have stopped leaving the charger on all the time and the puddles have disappeared. Also a sulfur smell that was in the cabin is gone. I'll see how it goes from here.

Thanks again!

Wow, thanks TF for all the good information to my question. Someone asked what type of charger I had. Its a "Professional Mariner Protech 4 Series". Probably original to the 2004 boat. It apparently charges those two D8's and the bow thruster battery.

I have stopped leaving the charger on all the time and the puddles have disappeared. Also a sulfur smell that was in the cabin is gone. I'll see how it goes from here.

Thanks again!

As suggested, remove some electrolyte to see if puddles disappear. Agree with change all batteries at same time too. Your puddles may be self inflicted and not the charger's fault. Been there done that. :eek:

Yes sir that is it.

I noticed if you are only using this charger to charge 2 batteries you need to strap the open unused port + to the + port next to it.
This probably helps the charger know when the batteries are charged.
Bill

Back
Top Bottom