Newbie: Please let me think of this boat?

The friendliest place on the web for anyone who enjoys boating.
If you have answers, please help by responding to the unanswered posts.

PNW_Steve

Hello All,

I have been boating for 30+ years but never had much to do with power boats. I will be moving to the Puget Sound area later this year and have decided to look at some form of power boat that will allow me to spend time around the Sound in the summer. I have sailed the Sound in the summer in years past and without fail we had to fly the "iron genny".

I have decided that if we have to power in the Summer we may as well have the benefits that a power boat offers. I have stumbled across a trawler on eBay that offers a number of things that attract me:

Reasonable purchase price
Safety in heavier conditions
Palatial accommodations (I am used to 30' sloop)
Great fuel economy

As well there are some things that concern me:

Unknown designer & yard
Engine that I am not familiar with (Cummins J70)
Use of what appears to be plumbing ABS fittings on the engine air intake
The general impression that the boat was never finished and the seller is anxious to sell....

I saw this boat offered on Craigslist before it was on eBay. It caught my attention but I dismissed it because it was to far away and in a different country. Now, with it potentially available at a significantly lower price, I am interested again.

As I am new to the trawler arena I would greatly appreciate any input.

Thanks

Steve

Welcome Steve. I can appreciate if you are onto a good potential deal you may not want to publish details, but with no link to the advert people may find it hard to help. Is the brand actually unknown, or just unfamiliar? Lots of Asian built trawlers had multiple IDs.

Unfinished boat advertised on Craigslist and Ebay and you'd be buying from another country? I have to think the only possible reason you're considering this boat is price. I'd also have to think there are reasons the prices is where it is and it's not sold even at that price. It would be one thing if you were local, could see it, get it surveyed, get a firm quote to finish it. I'm sure some probably have seen it and chosen to pass.

I just can't imagine how pursuing this boat could be a wise move on your part. Honestly I'd gamble in Vegas before gambling on this boat from what you've said.

Boat from 2012, but engine from 1959.. Might be a great engine, but dang that is old and parts likely scarce.

Boat from 2012, but engine from 1959.. Might be a great engine, but dang that is old and parts likely scarce.

What? Must be claiming refit as age. I don't care what's been done, it's year is the year built and surely they didn't put a 50+ year old engine in a new boat.

Before buying an unseen boat, especially in another country, you may want to watch this series of videos-

Last edited:
I have noticed that very odd habit on a few sites lately - listing the refit year as the boat's year for age. Absolutely ridiculous in my opinion.

I have noticed that very odd habit on a few sites lately - listing the refit year as the boat's year for age. Absolutely ridiculous in my opinion.

Yes, I hate that, but not sure what this thing is. Homemade?

Yes, a boat is when it was built, not refit. But I'm thinking they just put this thing together.

It really is two years old. Looked at it last time I was down in the south harbour. The photos are honest.

It really is two years old. Looked at it last time I was down in the south harbour.

I watched them youtube around at maybe 4 mph as they say top speed is 14. I take it the galley isn't in it yet and don't know what else. A 1959 Engine just gets to me. At least it's not tilted over.......yet. Seriously, would you go out anywhere in it?

In it's defense it has 105 more successful hours then does Baden...

The lehman guys should love that engine. It really is a tractor engine.

Flipping through the sellers videos, it seems that he never saw a boat that he didn't like. No, I don't know him. Although it is a small town, maybe I do and just don't know it.

Ennos Saphire? They aren't orphans. I didn't want to sign up to look at it but you are all over-reacting. I would look to see if parts for the engine and gears are available, otherwise just do your due diligence.

Powell River is not the end of the earth (in fact the Earl's Cove to Saltery Bay ferry is about 10 minutes from here).

Yea, don't take my remarks as slamming!! An old Cummins in a good boat can certainly mean a good boat! If the boat is a good boat, a 70hp engine is not a huge part of the equation. It might be hard to get a rebuild kit for the old motor, but there is a dang good chance the motor might not need such a kit for the next 50 years. Ten year old Volvo and Yanmar engine kits can be considered unobtanium, if maybe in the financial sense...

It really is two years old. Looked at it last time I was down in the south harbour. The photos are honest.

Fess up Spy, you finally found a home for some of your parts bin stuff.

Steve, welcome to the forum.

I wouldn't buy it online unless you buy it subject to satisfactory survey and sea trial. The alarmists on this thread have the same amount of time aboard this vessel inspecting it as you do, none. Due diligence is always wise and has no short cuts.

I'm with Ski as far as the engine goes. It's not likely someone built a new boat only to throw a worn out engine in it. I maintain equipment at work and while some is new some is in excess of 70 years old and still working fine daily. Myself I'd have a MUCH bigger problem with it if it had a 20 year old Volvo engine. Again, due diligence and an inspection is in order.

Don't overlook any import duties that may be owed with importing this boat.

Good luck with your search.

Ennos Saphire? They aren't orphans. I didn't want to sign up to look at it but you are all over-reacting. I would look to see if parts for the engine and gears are available, otherwise just do your due diligence.

Powell River is not the end of the earth (in fact the Earl's Cove to Saltery Bay ferry is about 10 minutes from here).

It is not an Ennos Sapphire.

Powell River is 5hrs away from Vancouver by car. 20 mins by air.

Last edited:
I've seen a lot worse in that price range. Although for another 5k the CHB with 46 hours might be a better deal.

I've seen a lot worse in that price range. Although for another 5k the CHB with 46 hours might be a better deal.

Thank you all for the replies. I have a number of follow up questions when I get back to my PC.

I do want to ask: Where is the ad for the CHB?

Hey Spy, I'm in Pender Harbour!

The guy who has the homebuilt boat with the tractor engine in Powell River is now selling a GB 49' Alaskan on Facebook.

Last edited:
Response from the seller:

" Entire boat is new in 2012, J70 is an old type of marine Cummins that is not in production anymore, but highly regarded and desirable for its reliability and economical properties. Looks like it was completely redone to a new specifications and has only 200+ hours on it. That's was the choice of the owner over a new Yanmar, as far as I know, and he is a knowledgeable mariner. "Incomplete" parts to my knowledge are: some trims, fancy flooring, if desired, and paint colour choice for Vb and bilge. The boat is completely functional and all systems work properly, needs nothing to improve functionality or safety, just "would be nice to have" things are to be selected. I have not seen the boat myself, but talked a lot to Mike and all this info is baced on that."

Um, the "Enos" is $24,900 (CAD I think)

Latest posts

Back
Top Bottom