A TFer's Boat I happened to stumble upon...

The friendliest place on the web for anyone who enjoys boating.
If you have answers, please help by responding to the unanswered posts.

FlyWright

Guru
Site Team
Vessel Name
FlyWright
Vessel Make
1977 Marshall Californian 34 LRC
img_237834_0_c0d0bc30149dee000195f17b81ca4909.jpg

That Ron's boat. Too bad I'm at the NJ marina Flywright. I am getting the Mainship ready to sell it.
Perhaps we might meet depending on my schedule.
Bill

Is this not a Camino? I understand they are coming back! Scott at Waterline Boats in Seattle purchased the molds and will be building them at the same yard in China as the Helmsman line of high quality boats. I have never been aboard a Camino but if they perform as published data shows he may be onto something big offering a great boat, high quality at a great price.

John T.

Yes, that's rwidman's Camano 31. I ran across it in my travels near St Michaels, MD.

Bill, I'll call next week to see if we can rendezvous in MD by the Gulfstar.

I have some commitments with work Al. I do want to try and get together as long as I end up in the DC/ Baltimore area.
Bill

Camano, very nice boats. I owned a 2002 from 2004-2008.

Camano 'were' built near here on the river, I had no idea that they had gone under. Sad. It was never an old man's boat as I couldn't abide the cling-on decks or the engine down in the keel, but they sold lots of them. I can't believe it was labour costs that killed them. Probably our punitive taxes. Anybody know why they croaked?

Cool neighborhood.
Looks like a pretty Devlin Surf Scoter next slip over and a maybe catboat on the hard.

Last edited:
By Xsbank " Anybody know why they croaked?" (Camano)

They made a big investment in a Camano 41' model just as the boat market took a huge nosedive about 2007 I dont believe they sold many maybe 5-6?, I don't know it that was the main reason but it sure didn't help.
They sure are very well made boats!

By Xsbank " Anybody know why they croaked?" (Camano)

They made a big investment in a Camano 41' model just as the boat market took a huge nosedive about 2007 I dont believe they sold many maybe 5-6?, I don't know it that was the main reason but it sure didn't help.
They sure are very well made boats!

I heard that Brad Miller (owner of Camano at the time) wanted to spend more time with his family so sold the assets to Lance Bracewell, maker of the moulds, who then modified the 41 (made it better I think) and marketed it as the Bracewell 41. Not sure what happened to the 31.

I was on board a Bracewell 41 last year and wow, what a fine vessel. The last I heard, Bracewell had shipped the 41's moulds to China for production there.

I also heard (Feb/2013) that there were 4 Camano 41's built, and 4 Bracewell 41's.

The actual story is probably a bit of all of the above and more.

We probably should get the name right,Ron`s Avatar identifies the boat as a "2000 Camano Troll"

A Camano 31 with Flying bridge is marketed as "Troll"
some were made without FB they were marketed as "Gnome" a bad pic of a very nice looking boat.

Attachments

• Camano Gnome.JPG
    Camano Gnome.JPG
    44.9 KB · Views: 146
Yes, that's rwidman's Camano 31. I ran across it in my travels near St Michaels, MD.

Bill, I'll call next week to see if we can rendezvous in MD by the Gulfstar.

Al, you say near St. Michaels. Is it at Higgins Yacht Yard?

Yes it is, Don. We were enjoying a day at the Chesapeake Bay Maritime Museum with friends. Nice area.

We are planning to start working our way back up there. Probably a stay of several months in SC, then on to the Chesapeake for a season. Plans are fluid as to timing.

Where's Ron? He is yet to chime in on this.:confused:

Hmmm... we were in St. Michaels from Monday to Thursday. We usually stay at either Higgins or the museum, but we splurged and treated ourselves to St. Michaels Marina for a change...

Still, I did have a few binoc looks at boats over at Higgins from time to time, didn't happen to notice -- or recognize -- that one. I can tell from the pic that maybe we couldn't have seen that far over from where we were, anyway, but we also went over on the dinghy, still don't remember seeing it. Of course I have a memory like a steel sieve...

-Chris

Chris, it was berthed opposite the walk from the museum toward town.

Hmph. Yeah, I could tell that's where it was, from the pic. I must have just missed noticing, or understanding what I was seeing. We were over there in that alley between Higgin's covered docks and that walk bridge over the creek (the sidewalk en route the Crab Claw etc.) in the dinghy on Tuesday, too, slightly before lunch if I remember rightly...

Too bad, I could have offered to share beverages :)

-Chris

Latest posts

Back
Top Bottom