View Single Post
Old 10-08-2010, 09:06 AM   #1
JC

Mainship Pilot 30 vs Albin 28

I realize that my posts on here seem all over the map, but here is a new question.* While I am drawn to the whole trawler idea/lifestyle, it looks like for our first boat at least, speed is going to be an issue.* This is due to the fact that we would like the boat close to home and there is a nice marina 15 min away (Redwood City, CA) but our anticipated uses of the boat (day cruising with perhaps a weekend thrown in) happen to be 25-35 miles north (San Francisco end of the SF Bay).* A 4 hour cruise one-way is just too big of a bite out of the day, but berthing the boat farther north just decreases the number of times I would get to the boat at all.

So in looking around, I have found these 2 boats that fit the bill (sort-of).* Any thoughts on the similarities/differences or desirability of each? Also, feel free to critique the thought process that came up with these 2 choices!* I know they aren't really trawlers, so I apologize for asking the question here, but I value the "trawler" input!

Thanks,

JC

P.S. A Camano 31 fits a lot of the criteria too, and is closer to a true trawler (I think?) but for now the admiral likes the downeast profile, and the extra speed)
JC is offline   Reply With Quote