Provisioning

The friendliest place on the web for anyone who enjoys boating.
If you have answers, please help by responding to the unanswered posts.
>A quick side track,

Offshore sinking trash by being sure cans are punctured at both ends , and fikking glass with water helps leave a clean wake.

Just a quick reminder:

In lakes, rivers, bays, sounds and up to 3 miles offshore it is illegal to dump:
-All garbage
From 3 to 12 nautical miles offshore it is illegal to dump:
-Plastic
-Dunnage, lining and packing materials that floats
-All other trash if not ground to less that 1"
From 12 to 25 nautical miles offshore it is illegal to dump:
-Plastic
-Dunnage, lining and packing materials that float
Outside 25 nautical miles offshore it is illegal to dump:
-Plastic

Just wondering, what is your water capacity. You won't get far on that type of usage/storage.

This is for drinking water only. And coffee water. We have a 120 gallon water tank but prefer not to drink water out of it. Use it for showers, sink, and toilets.

Sent from my iPhone using Trawler Forum

New to the forum but not new to boating. Interested in learning from others on how they provision for multiple overnights on the hook. I am really interested in traveling to the bahamas from FL at some point. How do you provision (regardless of destination) and how do you store and keep up with it? Excel spreadsheet? etc?

Excel spreadsheet for food? Nope, not a chance.

We stay at marinas in town usually every third or fourth day and eat at restaurants. We bring the leftovers back to the boat and microwave them the next day.

Other than that, we buy stacks of non-refrigerated microwave meals and pair them with canned vegetables. We don't have a lot of refrigerator or freezer space.

This is for drinking water only. And coffee water. We have a 120 gallon water tank but prefer not to drink water out of it. Use it for showers, sink, and toilets.

Why don't you drink the water from your water tanks? It would make things a lot simpler.

Talk to HopCar. He can fix you up with a water filter/softening system that will give you good water. They really work---plus great for washing the boat and windows.

Water tank capacity 277 gals incl 2 extra tanks added by a PO, one aft,one fwd. We don`t drink it, probably could, we take tap water in containers for drinking, coffee, etc. A friend fitted a filter system for his tank water and is happy with it.

I have 2 x 125 gal (500 lt) stainless steel water tanks on Tidahapah . They used to be 1000 lts each until I fitted the water maker and then I cut them down so that I could store more wine and beer.
All water used is from these tanks. I will not allow plastic bottles of water on board. The galley sink tap has a carbon filter for drinking water when we have town water on board. The rest of the time all the water is made on board and perfect for all occasions.
The bottled water farce is the greatest con ever and the whole world fell for it.

Cheers
Benn

Folks, I may not be the "sharpest tool in the shed" as I used to pay $4-6 per 10 lb bag of ice to dump into the cooler every other day to keep a case of beer cold. Then, when it occurred to me that I only needed 1 -3 cans at a time (depending on guests), I started keeping 6 cans in the refrigerator (against the cold plate) and replacing it as necessary, while keeping that same 10 lb bag of drink ice in a corner of the refrigerator, where it lasts for nearly a week. A side from the new-found wealth, the greatest benefit is the freedom from having to track down ice every other day. George

cool ones

gts1544
Which begs the question, "If you have guests on board can you cool them as fast as you drink them"

And the answer is "If the guests are getting free beer they get the warm ones"

Cold mugs in the box do a reasonable chilling job , for beer or (ugh) even soft drinks.

Organics go overboard, everything else is compacted. Bags are stored in the dinghy and taken to shore when convenient/necessary.

Latest posts

Back
Top Bottom