Thread: Drowning.
View Single Post
Old 05-25-2014, 12:05 PM   #17
dannc
Guru

City: NC
One of the issues I have with many of the boats I have seen is that the rails are just at the right height to flip you overboard. I don't understand why the builders cannot add a few more inches which would put the rail above the waist which might actually keep one onboard.

We were on a trawler last weekend that DOES have rails that are tall enough to keep one on board. Having said that, when we build, we will have the rails lengthened another 1-3 inches.

The odds of any of us falling off this boat on the day we were out were pretty close to 0 but most of us on deck wore an inflatable PFD. It was comfortable and if we went into the water it would improve our odds of living. My wife spent quite a bit of time on the pilot house which was safe for the conditions but climbing the ladder to/from the PH was her most at risk moment. If she or anyone else, fell over board, they could easily be missed for a few minutes.

Reading a variety of accident reports over the years has made me notice a commonality. Often people are just in a hurry to get things done. They cut corners to save time and/or money. I suspect in many cases they have cut the corners for years but it only takes one time to bite you...

When running a chainsaw I ALWAYS wear safety glasses, helmet with face and ear protection and chaps. The chaps will stop the chain and hopefully prevent, or at least minimize, injury. I ALWAYS run the chainsaw at the start of the work day, and if I find my mind wondering when operating the saw, then the chainsaw gets put up for the day.

I see many people running chainsaws without safety equipment. The gear I wear might cost $100-$150 and last for years. The equipment can keep you out of the ER and spending $10-15 a year to keep me out of the ER is well worth the cost. Yet, very few people seem to use the equipment.

In one of my professions, I was one of the few people to wear certain safety gear irregardless of conditions. The equipment is hot and heavy and not comfortable to wear but it really was not that bad considering other clothing and conditions. It just made sense to wear the safety equipment even though it was not mandated. If you needed the gear it was to late to put it on.

I suspect when we get a trawler that the rule will be, if on deck while underway, an inflatable PFD will be worn. Certainly, if on the swim step even though it has high railings, or on the fly bridge/PH roof, a PFD will be worn. It really is not that big of a deal to wear one.

Later,
Dan
dannc is offline   Reply With Quote