Hi from Key Largo

The friendliest place on the web for anyone who enjoys boating.
If you have answers, please help by responding to the unanswered posts.

MacTavish

Vessel Name
Robin's Nest
Vessel Make
34' Pequod twin diesel
New to Forum here. Have a 34' Pequod twin diesel---2 6DSY70 Mitsubishi diesels. Only about 20 of the fiberglass Pequods were made (1977) from a mold off wood lapstrake boat in the Northeast. At least one diesel needs a rebuild. Blue Ridge quoted me $6,000 for total re-build kit which has to come out of Japan. So, I figure a rebuild is going to cost me around 10k per engine. They also said that the 6DSY70 is a beautiful engine, like a "Rolls Royce" having cost 20k in the 80s when dropped into Bayliners. (???)
Any commentary welcome, cause I'm not an engine guy per se.
John

Greetings,
Welcome aboard. I'm not an engine guy either, more of a leg man....

th

To me this is a very personal decision depending greatly on how much you like the boat, the general condition of the rest of the boat and it's age. There is a good likelihood that you may not get your investment back out if you need or want to sell it but if you intend to keep it for years you may be fine with that. Tough choice! Welcome!

Welcome aboard! Glad to have another Florida boy.

I like to warn new folks about RT Firefly, but you've already met him. You can see he has a slightly twisted outlook on things. He's smart but a little nuts. (That was a good one RT)

Just to get the subject out of the way so you don't bring it up, your anchor is too small, it's the wrong kind and you don't have enough chain.

Also your gun is too small, it's the wrong kind and you don't have enough ammunition.:)

Just to get the subject out of the way so you don't bring it up, your anchor is too small, it's the wrong kind and you don't have enough chain.

Also your gun is too small, it's the wrong kind and you don't have enough ammunition.:)
May I add: As you have 2 engines, you should only have one. (Note:If you had one, you would be advised you should have two.)
More importantly, Welcome Aboard! Rebuild the tired engine, do the other only if/when it needs it. A good way to look at spending $, you recoup your expense in boating pleasure.

thanks for the welcome

Welcome aboard! Glad to have another Florida boy.

I like to warn new folks about RT Firefly, but you've already met him. You can see he has a slightly twisted outlook on things. He's smart but a little nuts. (That was a good one RT)

Yes, I like the uniform of your first mate, RT!:) Perhaps I need to add some rigging to my boat? I might attract a better crowd. However, I'd still have the problem of too small an anchor and gun...but then, what's a boat but a vessel to dream upon?

Thanks

May I add: As you have 2 engines, you should only have one. (Note:If you had one, you would be advised you should have two.)
More importantly, Welcome Aboard! Rebuild the tired engine, do the other only if/when it needs it. A good way to look at spending $, you recoup your expense in boating pleasure.

Yeah, Bruce, I'm thinking about expenses. But, the boat was given to me so maybe 20k on the engines isn't so out of line. I'm also thinking about adding a flybridge to this sedan and extending the top deck towards the stern (It's halfway there already) Wood and glasswork I'm good with. So, we'll see.

Mac, I should have warned you about the subject of flying bridges. There are those who are passionate about not having a flybridge and the arguments can get heated.
Generally with good humor.

I think they can make cruising in South Florida and the Bahamas a nicer experience.

flybridges

Mac, I should have warned you about the subject of flying bridges. There are those who are passionate about not having a flybridge and the arguments can get heated.
Generally with good humor.

I think they can make cruising in South Florida and the Bahamas a nicer experience.

Wow, that's interesting. I cannot imagine the argument against having a flybridge here in Florida, or the Caribbean in general. But, I'm pretty new to it all.

The people who argue against flybridges are from the PNW. You can't give them credence in this sort of matter, they were mostly raised on a steady diet of fluorescent light and moldy cheese.

(just kidding guys)

Doug, If Mark finds this thread he's going to give both of us a thrashing.

I know. I should probably go back and edit it.

Hi Mactavish, Howdy, I'm a newbie here too.
I think if you do a bit of research you will find it pays to 'think out of the box' and check out local plant operators/suppliers as those engines were used in diggers and generators, parts are usually cheaper than a marine supplier.

The people who argue against flybridges are from the PNW. You can't give them credence in this sort of matter, they were mostly raised on a steady diet of fluorescent light and moldy cheese.

(just kidding guys)

Not all of us flybridgeless types are from the PNW. :) The more you travel in heat, cold, or rainy conditions, the more you will appreciate a climate controlled pilot house.

Ted

Hi Mactavish, Howdy, I'm a newbie here too.
I think if you do a bit of research you will find it pays to 'think out of the box' and check out local plant operators/suppliers as those engines were used in diggers and generators, parts are usually cheaper than a marine supplier.

Thanks Irish. I'm looking cause 6k per rebuild kit did shock me.

"The more you travel in heat, cold, or rainy conditions, the more you will appreciate a climate controlled pilot house."

Oh Ted, Why would you do that? As I recall it wasn't long ago you were in Ft. Meyers where the weather is beautiful. Besides which, having a flying bridge doesn't mean you can't have a nice pilot house as well.

MacTavish, see how it gets started?

Mitsubishi;

I have a Mitsubishi purchased from Klassen in Seattle. Hatton bought out the Klassen shop in Seattle and at least 3 of the Klassen store guys are working now at Hatton. Calling Jim Schiller (parts manager) 206 784 0148 should be move in the right direction.

Many don't like turbochargers and if your engine is NA that feature wouldn't be lost on a rebuild.

Last edited:
"The more you travel in heat, cold, or rainy conditions, the more you will appreciate a climate controlled pilot house."

Oh Ted, Why would you do that? As I recall it wasn't long ago you were in Ft. Meyers where the weather is beautiful. Besides which, having a flying bridge doesn't mean you can't have a nice pilot house as well.

MacTavish, see how it gets started?

If the weather is nice, I open both doors. If it's really nice and I'm in a large uncrowded area, I'll grap the autopilot remote and sit on the trunk cabin in a deck chair. Nothing wrong with a fly bridge as long as you have other options in unpleasant conditions.

Ted

Mitsubishi;

I have a Mitsubishi purchased from Klassen in Seattle. Hatton bought out the Klassen shop in Seattle and at least 3 of the Klassen store guys are working now at Hatton. Calling Jim Schiller (parts manager) 206 784 0148 should be move in the right direction.

Many don't like turbochargers and if your engine is NA that feature wouldn't be lost on a rebuild.

Thanks Eric. I'll give him a call.

MacTavish: After being down the coast for a while, this Pequod fly-bridge boat cruised into the marina again for some time before heading out again. Since Pequod owners are few and far between, maybe you would want to connect to Bill and his Admiral. Here's a shot of his boat....one of the nicest 34 ft. boats I've seen.

Attachments

• Pequod 34 FB.jpg
    Pequod 34 FB.jpg
    127.1 KB · Views: 96
Thanks Guru. That is a nice Pequod. Do know how to get in touch with Bill?

That Pequod is one nice looking 34'. I have never seen on of these vessels.
Bill

Latest posts

Back
Top Bottom