aft cabin modifications GB 42

The friendliest place on the web for anyone who enjoys boating.
If you have answers, please help by responding to the unanswered posts.

sebagolittle

I am looking at a Grand banks 42 classic with a double berth and the desk layout in the aft cabin. Has anyone ever modified this to a queen bed? How about removing the desk and adding the single berth? I know anything can be done, it's just at what cost is it not worth it. Also does the sette in the salon convert into a bed on all Gb42's or was that an option? Thanks

You need to post your question to the Grand Banks Owners forum if you haven't already. That's the only place on the web where you will get answers from people who have most likely done what you want to do, or at least know exactly how to do it and what you will encounter in the process. Grand Banks Owner's Resources

I did slide to port side the front lower panel and extended it cutting by half the cabinet under the ladder. It becomes a king size 2x2 meters and you keep the desk.
I would look for pictures

Did you ever find some photo's of your project? Would like to see what you did.
thanks

Will take them this week-end

Sorry for late post, I was not able to go to the boat before.

You can se in the left picture that the bed base drawer panel has been moved to port side, (older position was at the level of the electrical plugs in the photo). You will have to make a little window for bilge access port at the floor

The drawer cabinet has been cut by half. (keeping the central post between drawers)

The bed head has been enlarged with wood panel as to protect access to the toilet room. Also acts as a handrail.

After that you need to extend panels and supports for the mattress support. Below, you have gained more store space...

The rear gate stairs have been removed. The wood is very good for other projects, in particular I used it for swim platform steps in a second gate, independent of pasarelle.

All of this was done, as my admiral complained in sleeping under the deck !!!

The final result is a king size bed, and still free space in the cabinet. Comfort has drastically improved as I am 1,90m and 120 Kgs guy.
Even a kid could sleep under the deck (they usually complain less than Admirals...)

Cost has not been tracked, just some wood, tint, varnish, screws, and about 24 hours of handwork with proper tools.

Please tell me if you need closer details

Attachments

• IMG_1438.jpg
    IMG_1438.jpg
    89.3 KB · Views: 199
  • IMG_1440.jpg
    IMG_1440.jpg
    92.1 KB · Views: 190
Thank you...It looks really nice.....It might make the classic 42 workable for us.......

Back
Top Bottom