Info on Newer Island Gypsy

The friendliest place on the web for anyone who enjoys boating.
If you have answers, please help by responding to the unanswered posts.

greysailor

Vessel Name
Salty
Vessel Make
2005 Defever 44
What seems to be the verdict on IGs manufactured after around year 2000....Haven't been able to locate much info regarding FG layup/use of vinyl ester in outer layers, etc. Are we seeing as much blistering/delamination/house&deck core rot as the older boats made in Taiwan?

Which boatyard in China was used for the early 2000 IGs?
Overall quality any better?

I'm considering a later model 39 Euro and would like to chat with owners of newer IGs. Tried contacting a newer IG 39 owner on forum but have not heard back from him to date.

Thanks

First of all, IG's were not made in Taiwan. Originally, they were made in Hong Kong then manufacturing was transferred to mainland China, from about 1990 they were built in She Kau.

The early Chinese examples were not well received, I understand the production quality improved, but can't really help you in regard to the post 2000 boats.

In the early days Halvorsen was actively involved with the manufacturer of IG's, as time moved on production was farmed out, which did cause some issues in regard to quality control

When you say the 39' model, are you referring to the 40' Sedan/Europa style?

Here is a not so complimentary boat review by David Pascoe on a IG 40' Europa from the early 1990's

Boat Review by David Pascoe - Island Gypsy 40

Last edited:
Thanks for the history Andy...I must have misread the Taiwan heritage somewhere...

No, I am not referring the circa '90's IG 40'....from what I've been able to establish so far, the IG 39 Eurosedan began in 1999 as a longer version of the IG 36 Sedan. I believe this was also a change in boatyards too, but having trouble establishing facts.

I've mined a brochure for a newer model that mentions vinyl ester used in the outer layers of the hull, but haven't been able to establish if this practice dates back to the inception of the 39 Eurosedan in 1999.

Back
Top Bottom