Here you go

The friendliest place on the web for anyone who enjoys boating.
If you have answers, please help by responding to the unanswered posts.
Vessel Make
15' Hobie Power Skiff w/90hp Yamaha-owned 28 years. Also a 2001 Bayliner 3788 that I took in trade
One see's some interesting vessels up on the St. Johns River. I think this was originally a Coronado 35' sailboat? IMG987.jpg

The imagination runs wild

Just think two problems resolved, No longer a cave to live in and bridge clearance greatly improved. There are other advantages as well, no more expensive sails and rigging, great fuel economy, good ride, fixed depth finder, possibly very seaworthy. What's to lose. Oh and probably bought for a song. Not likely to be stolen.

That Coranado has lots of character. While I would not rate it as a good looking boat it still has way more appeal to me than the typical line up of three story bleach bottle ships and high free board euro designs with weird windows at most boat shows. This is still recognizable as a boat in spite of its slab sided over done add on house.

I wonder what trailer park those windows came from. They could have had a decent conversion if they left the framing square home.

I wonder what trailer park those windows came from. They could have had a decent conversion if they left the framing square home.

I agree with you 100%. A single full width front window, and no frames on the side ones would had greatly improved it. I wonder if it's fin keel fell off? I had a Californian surveyor jokingly ( I think) tell me the reason Coronado Bay is named that because it's full of keels from Coronado sailboats.:socool:
it might even be 41'.

Last edited:
...I wonder if it's fin keel fell off? I had a Californian surveyor jokingly ( I think) tell me the reason Coronado Bay is named that because it's full of keels from Coranado sailboats.:socool:
it might even be 41'.

Coronado Bay (San Diego, CA):

232323232%7Ffp83232%3Euqcshlukaxroqdfv8655%3Dot%3E2454%3D42%3B%3D66%3C%3DXROQDF%3E2%3B53896%3C34245ot1lsi

Point taken. A bit too much frame. Here is the boat with frames removed in first photo, and canvas added to mask slab side in photo two. Like my Manatee, she's still style challenged.

Attachments

• windows deframed.jpg
    windows deframed.jpg
    134.3 KB · Views: 167
  • canvas added.jpg
    canvas added.jpg
    134.7 KB · Views: 165
Before we bought Willy this is just about what I had planned to do. Never would have done a cabin like this though. What I was thinking about was to gut the sailboat completely and put a cabin on it very much like a Nordic Tug. Finding a sailboat hull that was unusually full both fwd and aft like an Albin 27 and preferably w a drop keel so basically the keel would be half as deep as the sailboat. I'd employ a fully strutted rudder basically all the way aft. I'd then have a 35' trawler that burned 3 quarts of fuel an hour at 7 knots.

I'm not sure about the roll stability though. It could require a steadying sail to tame her probable roll hyperness.

But in the end I found a FD trawler.

Larry the blue canvas was brilliant, positively brilliant!
But I don't see any side frames gone.

Give the guy some credit. At least he didn't cap it w a FB.

Last edited:
With a forward slanting front panel and windows+ small cap and vertical wood planking going half height on house might not look so bad. Wood would have same effect as blue canvas but look work-boaty as would slanted forward windows.

the only way to help that boat is to take a spin in deep water then cut a 2' square hole in the bottom.
P.O.S. comes to mind.
it falls into the same category as a old school bus with a raised roof and covered in cedar shingles.. you know the type.. with a big chimney through the roof for the wood stove.
HOLLYWOOD

the only way to help that boat is to take a spin in deep water then cut a 2' square hole in the bottom.
P.O.S. comes to mind.
it falls into the same category as a old school bus with a raised roof and covered in cedar shingles.. you know the type.. with a big chimney through the roof for the wood stove.
HOLLYWOOD

Hear, hear!

Boat snobs unite!

>it falls into the same category as a old school bus with a raised roof and covered in cedar shingles.. you know the type.. with a big chimney through the roof for the wood stove.<

Form follows function ,,and pocket book depth.

The sailboat would do as well as 99% of the >trawlers< owned by folks on this board in the style of cruising most do.

Offshore neither would be enjoyable being swept by a wave , or picked up and tossed at a 90+deg angle to the surface.

Thats why most are mostly inshore , brown water boats , with out the robust scantlings required for blue water.

AS I would guess the fuel bill on the sail conversion is under 3/4 GPH at 5-6K it would be a better inshore cruiser ,
even missing the oxygen tent so many marine motorists seem to require.

Hear, hear!

Boat snobs unite!

In my industry we have a phrase...

It takes the same materials to build a ugly home as it does a beautiful one...

the eye of the designer is what makes the difference.

HOLLYWOOD

Hollywood,
It seems you don't like the yacht we're all drilling over. I'll see if I can whip up an anchor thread for your applied enjoyment and indulgence.

I think I've discovered the reasonable fix for what ails the conversion. Make the front of the wheelhouse convex or even rounded like a old tug. Then just make one of those side windows a different size or shape.

Mr H wrote "It takes the same materials to build a ugly home as it does a beautiful one"
Hard to notice as the're all made out of crap anyway. How would you like a boat made from materials purchased from Home Depoe?

Last edited:
How would you like a boat made from materials purchased from Home Depoe?

Usually its a step up from much of the stuff sold at boat stores.

AZEK is a plastic trim that can be painted and does nor rot .

Works far better at trimming out windows or doors than painted or varnished wood.

If pressure treated ply was available decades ago many TT would still have decks and PH that are intact..

PL glue is as strong waterproof as most epoxy , requires no mixing to fill gaps , and has long shelf life, and no allergic reaction to the finished product.

The new SS deck screws with the T-25 and similar drive is far easier to install and remove when building something than common brass or galvanized wood screws.

Home Cheapo , better than yacht grade by a mile!!

FF you put it well, a little research, and innovation can go a long way. Researching the loop a few years ago I came to the conclusion that the most economical route was to purchase a used sail boat with diesel and lose the sail.

Researching the loop a few years ago I came to the conclusion that the most economical route was to purchase a used sail boat with diesel and lose the sail.

You bet , we got our power boat as the thought of a 33 ft boat entering a hundred locks with a 55 ft mast carried flat was not ideal.

We didnt know how delight full an air draft of under 11 f was till we ran the ditch south to install an interior .

For most the in & out sail mast would be a fine option and the vessel could easily cost under $10K .

Only thing that might have as cheap a round trip is an under 30 ft Bayliner or similar .

Most there are IO , so there is far less hassle with thin water than with a sail boat full keel.

With the constant use and upgrading the cosmetics as the boar cruises , there is a chance the boat would be worth more after the run..

PAINT SELLS DA BOAT!

Last edited:
Hollywood,
It seems you don't like the yacht we're all drilling over. I'll see if I can whip up an anchor thread for your applied enjoyment and indulgence.

I think I've discovered the reasonable fix for what ails the conversion. Make the front of the wheelhouse convex or even rounded like a old tug. Then just make one of those side windows a different size or shape.

Mr H wrote "It takes the same materials to build a ugly home as it does a beautiful one"
Hard to notice as the're all made out of crap anyway. How would you like a boat made from materials purchased from Home Depoe?

I am not sure I totally understand... we are still talking about the boat pictured below correct?

So am I to assume that you think all the stuff H.Depot sells is crap?
Or that all homes are made out of crap?
Or?

The some of the same basic materials are used on the cheapest runabout as the most expensive Nordhavn, but is a different way.

I guess I was not clear enough, the builder or the below boat clearly did not have the "eye" when it came to design, he could of made the vessel less offensive to the eye had he known how. Sometimes home builders of boats take a inexpensive starter hull and mod it to their preference and make it worth less then the original hull.

I walk past a Cargile cutter boat on my way to my boat.. a production boat that the dealers that sold them originally must of been barely able to keep from laughing in the face of prospective buyers.

There are plenty of beautiful boats out there.. no reason to own a fugly one!
HOLLYWOOD

Attachments

• windows deframed.jpg
    windows deframed.jpg
    24.6 KB · Views: 1,243
  • Cutter.jpg
    Cutter.jpg
    81.9 KB · Views: 1,873
Nice bootstripe work on that Cargile!

We should revive the ugly boat thread...

Yep, the owner of that boat might even be a member here. As long as it meets the owner's needs, why make fun of it?

HOLLYWOOD,
A week ago or so I bought 2 pcs of plywood from Home Depot and part of my comments stem from that I spoze. It's not Doug fir and whatever it is it warps badly what ever I do w it.

And I'll admit the converted sailboat and the Cargile are hard to look at. The intended market for the Cargile was as a substitute for a travel trailer so it didn't have much beauty to beat.

And beautiful houses can be made out of Bamboo or w some imagination a bunch of pallets. But you must admit that houses are made out of the cheapest materials that can be found. They build them w OSB instead of plywood ... in the rain. Everything is the absolute minimum that will sell. Economy is so important now that they rarely build two story houses. A box shaped house looses the least heat. Another example of how the almighty buck dictates what a house will look like and what it will be built of. The "eye of the designer is what makes the difference" .. what difference? They all look just the same. Of course that's not true of high end houses but most houses are low end.

Speaking of low end most houses where we live aren't even stick built. Our house and most around here are manufactured houses. I like our house in the inside but the outside looks really cheap and "bare bones".

But inbetween the upper end and the lower end many houses are at least interesting to some extent by their design but the're probably still made out of the cheapest stuff available.

No I don't think all of what Home Depot has is crap. We actually shop there a lot. Lowe's is just about the same but I much prefer HD. ??

Another visual bad about the converted sailboat is the over sized roof.

The plywood I bought at HD was 15/32nd. I suspect it wasn't made in the US. Does anyone know?

Last edited:
Talk about thread creep. :rolleyes:

The reason homes (and boats) are made as inexpensively as possible is so they can be sold in a competitive market. Nobody calls his real-estate (or yacht) broker and asks to see the most expensive thing on the market.

And if OSB works as well as plywood for home building, what purpose does using more expensive plywood serve? OSB also makes better use of trees than plywood.

HOLLYWOOD,
A week ago or so I bought 2 pcs of plywood from Home Depot and part of my comments stem from that I spoze. It's not Doug fir and whatever it is it warps badly what ever I do w it.

And I'll admit the converted sailboat and the Cargile are hard to look at. The intended market for the Cargile was as a substitute for a travel trailer so it didn't have much beauty to beat.

And beautiful houses can be made out of Bamboo or w some imagination a bunch of pallets. But you must admit that houses are made out of the cheapest materials that can be found. They build them w OSB instead of plywood ... in the rain. Everything is the absolute minimum that will sell. Economy is so important now that they rarely build two story houses. A box shaped house looses the least heat. Another example of how the almighty buck dictates what a house will look like and what it will be built of. The "eye of the designer is what makes the difference" .. what difference? They all look just the same. Of course that's not true of high end houses but most houses are low end.

Speaking of low end most houses where we live aren't even stick built. Our house and most around here are manufactured houses. I like our house in the inside but the outside looks really cheap and "bare bones".

But inbetween the upper end and the lower end many houses are at least interesting to some extent by their design but the're probably still made out of the cheapest stuff available.

No I don't think all of what Home Depot has is crap. We actually shop there a lot. Lowe's is just about the same but I much prefer HD. ??

Another visual bad about the converted sailboat is the over sized roof.

The plywood I bought at HD was 15/32nd. I suspect it wasn't made in the US. Does anyone know?

Most Ac/CDX ply is now 15/32.. not sure why

Actually OSB doesn't work all that well, it acts as a sponge and will wick water feet from a leak around a window.. right to the point it COMPLETELY rots and turns to dust. I quit using OSB products in my custom homes about five years ago after I saw the results of a leak due to neglect by the owner. The only thing we use OSB for is to make temporary walks to our homes under construction in rainy weather. A large percentage of OSB is made from fast growing plantation tree stock that has no natural rot resistance.

We never buy wood products at H.Depot as they sell " consumer" grade and it's not worthy of a high end custom home. Fortunately we have a amazing resource here for wood, both fro frame construction ( DF #2 or better and select structural) and of course Edensaw Woods is in my back yard and is the largest supplier of exotic hardwoods in the country.. I am truly spoiled.

Of course I am referring to the level of quality in our homes that would equate to Nordhavn or some of the other U.S. high end custom builders of
boats... not tract homes.

Below is a pic of one of our homes with clear VG Cedar 10" siding, the railings on the deck are also clear VG Cedar... no H.Depot stuff here!

HOLLYWOOD

Attachments

• DSCN0706.jpg
    DSCN0706.jpg
    106.7 KB · Views: 134
Its not that this ex sail boat appeals to me, but things can be done to change its appearance. If you are going to go funky why not do it up. My art is terrible but what I am trying to show is vertical wood planking T&G and a forward sloped front of house with two large windows and a small riding -motor sail rig.

Attachments

• IMG987.jpg
    IMG987.jpg
    115 KB · Views: 253
The vessel in question looks to be modified by an accountant.

(Said by a retired accountant. If you don't believe me, check California's Department of Consumer Affairs records available on the Internet.)

Cutter.jpg

Say what you may about these, one crossed the Atlantic Ocean as a marketing stunt back when they were new. That's impressive. I kind of like them myself. You aren't going to find more interior volume "bang for the buck" than one of these. I can see Krogen looking at one of these when he designed the Mantaee, and said "hmmm".
Put a big Yamaha 4 stroke outboard on a bracket (if the transoms will hold it), then put the whole rig on a Aluminum trailer and go cruising.

Ugly boats are like bad haircuts. So what? I can't see one if I got one can I? And as I pointed out to my 27 yro son the other day, that NEVER ever has a strange girl stopped us to compliment us on a great haircut, BUT we've both "pulled" pretty girls-who stopped us to ask "who the hell gave you that awful haircut?" BOOM...got em. Who needs a "line", when a bad haircut will do. I think that's why kids wear pants down around their ass, just so strangers will yell at them, and make human contact. So ugly boats CAN get the job done, as well, if not better than a pretty one-if the job is to have a good time and go places.
Like these ugly boats we're talking about.. No threads here mentioning ANY normal looking boats are there? That's because normal is just so- normal. :socool:

Last edited:
Back
Top Bottom