View Single Post
Old 05-14-2014, 11:45 PM   #17
Edelweiss
Guru

City: PNW
Vessel Model: 1976 Californian Tricabin LRC
Quote:
Originally Posted by Moonstruck View Post
Bundling with homeowners, auto, etc. is not always possible. In fact most companies that write homeowners policies will not insure boats above a certain value.
Years ago, when I had trailer boats, I used my homeowners/auto insurance company to cover the boat and trailer as well. But the value/risk was minimal and I was more concerned with personal injury liability coverage.

With a larger boat, an insurance company who doesn't at least have a marine division to deal with would be a mistake. In this litigious society we live in, I would not be comfortable with a company who isn't well versed and experienced in marine insurance, boat construction, ABYC, marine claims processing, towing, marine salvage, environmental laws and boating laws, etc.

For example, I was having difficulty with a surveyor who was on a personal crusade to require all bronze ball valves be replaced with plastic (Marelon I believe). One call to Boat US, they called the surveyor and he unhappily struck the recommendation from his survey.