Varnish Question

The friendliest place on the web for anyone who enjoys boating.
If you have answers, please help by responding to the unanswered posts.

Pack Mule

TF Site Team
Vessel Name
Slo-Poke
Vessel Make
Jorgensen custom 44
Has anyone ever heard of wet sanding varnish with varnish . Some one stopped by my boat the other day when we were varnishing cap rail . He suggested that we wet sand the rail with varnish between coats . I've never heard of this . I have wet sanded paint finishes before but never varnish .

Yes. I have heard of it. You use wet varnish and wet sandpaper. The fines sandings do a lot of filling of the grain and once dry it adds depth. The last coat is put on like normal.

Yes. I have heard of it. You use wet varnish and wet sandpaper. The fines sandings do a lot of filling of the grain and once dry it adds depth. The last coat is put on like normal.
Thanks ,
Man that has to be a messy job . I thought this guy was pulling my leg . I think I'm going to pass on doing any wet sanding because I'm still in the water in a slip .

Sure sounds messy!! But while we are at it, does anyone have a good way to stop flies landing in the wet varnish??? Seems like they show up as soon as I complete the last brush stroke!!

"But while we are at it, does anyone have a good way to stop flies landing in the wet varnish???"

A tiny shotgun? Sorry, it's the first thing that popped into my head.

I wet sanded Deks Olje, a 2 step product, kind of like a varnish process. Ended up with a gritty surface, presumably grit from the sandpaper so I query the process you describe.
When I did car spray painting, and also saw pros do it, rubbing/sanding back between coats is with very fine wet & dry type sandpaper, and water.

Don't listen to him PM. He needs a smack in the head for telling you to do that!

Sent from my iPad using Trawler Forum

Latest posts

Back
Top Bottom