Galley Maid accumulator tank /hot water tank questions

The friendliest place on the web for anyone who enjoys boating.
If you have answers, please help by responding to the unanswered posts.

sailor john

Veteran Member
Hello all,
Despite having 'professional' winterizing of my water system, I have, during spring commissioning, had to resolve 5 pipe cracks, 1 'blown' in line water filter, and now possibly a water heater, (more about that further down). No doubt, the long cold winter has had it's way with my water system.
As well though, I have discovered my Galley Maid accumulator tank (I think it's a 12-7) has a hairline crack at the one end. It sends out a lovely spray of water when pumped up, causing of course, the pump to come back on. The pump itself appears fine. (whew!)
My question, (Aside from does anyone have a spare?): As I am uncertain of the material used to make the accumulator tanks, do you think this crack could be welded? (Or would JB weld work?)

Regarding the water heater: the element works for about 1 minute, then cycles off then on again. I do get a few seconds of hot water, thats it. When the element is on, there is steam coming out of the tank's heat exchanger fitting for the engine hook up, which was never hooked up. I have never noticed this before. Any thoughts on this? The drain at the hot water tank base lets a tiny stream of water out, even when I poke a small wire up inside it. Then it stops.
So I know: the element works, the thermostat seems to work, and the drain doesn't drain. I wonder if the heater is getting 10 gallons of water into it. How can I verify that? Maybe an air pocket above the water? I forgot to say, the pressure relief valve does nothing.

Any thoughts on my two issues are appreciated!!
Sailor John

It sounds like replacement time

I would replace the accumulate tank with a new one with a bladder. If your Galley Maid has one, it has failed. The water heater sounds like it's got problems beyond mineral build up because your getting steam at the plumbing for your engine heat exchanger. You can remove the calrod and drain plug to see if the tank is full of gunk. You didn't say what brand water heater you have. I have replaced just the tank itself. Not too difficult to do.

Galley Maid accumulator tank /hot water tank question

Thanks Scary,
I agree, I think the galley maid should get a new accum. tank. Do you think it matters what type/size? (smaller is the order of the day.)
The hot water heater is an Atwood.

Sailor John
PS, the 48 LRC is what my 38 Hat wants to be when she grows up.

We just put an accumulator in along with a pump. Ours is a 4.4 gallons and works just dandy.
http://www.goodboatgear.com/detail/4724/ Puffer Accumulator Tank?gclid=COfOo6eKpb4CFU8Q7AodbyAApA ImageUploadedByTrawler Forum1399852957.389010.jpg

Do you think it matters what type/size? (smaller is the order of the day.)
The hot water heater is an Atwood.

The largest you can fit will cycle the pump the least.

It might save battery power as well as wear and tare on the pump pressure switch ..

If there is a bypass on the water heater did you open it so the tank will fill with water?

It appears as though your water heater is starved for water thereby heating the small amount that is trapped in the heater and increasing the pressure via steam. The pressure relief valve will not operate if there is another location allowing the pressure to decrease (fitting at the heat exchanger. This could be from the supply line being off, trapped air, or restricted line. If pipe systems were repaired it could be from a piece of trash entering the lines during the repair and hanging up at the water heater.
What type of fresh water pump is operating the system?
You should be able to remove and/or loosening the cold-in hot out connections at the heater or remove an element and see if you have a flow of water out of it.

Update on Galley Maid and hot water tank question

Good evening all,
First, thanks to everyone that weighed in on the question.
I thought I would update you on my hot water tank issue, as it is now resolved. Simply. It appears, that during the winterizing process, the hot water tank hoses were removed, and then incorrectly placed back on the heat exchanger barbs. (The exchanger is not in use). Wrong! Once that was corrected, the hot water tank filled and performed flawlessly. (Hurray!)
The Galley Maid accumulator tank still has a crack on the end by the output hose. We are trying to seal that up with substance like JB weld. We have the drip greatly reduced, but the drip is still there at about 1 drip per second. We may have to replace the accumulator tank with another brand, (Suggestions anyone?) as the G.M. accum. tanks are crazy-priced. Stay tuned.
Thanks all,
Sailor John

As mentioned in an earlier post, the bladder is most likely blown in the tank you have. Without a correctly functioning air bladder your pump will "short cycle". Air can be compressed, water cannot. As your pump increases volume the air bladder is compressed thus creating the desired and set pressure point to switch the pump off with an accumulated amount of water. The bladder then forces that water out until the pressure drops to the set cut on pressure point. Without the functional bladder and/or 1/2 of the tank having air in it the pump will turn on then off on then off constantly. No "stored water under pressure". The smaller the tank the more often the pump cycles. Note that tank sizes usually expressed in gallons is not the actual number of gallons the tank is capable of holding but rather the number of gallons capable of being stored with the air bladder compressed to a "working pressure".
This all assumes that you are not operating an "on demand" or flow controlled pump- those do not necessarily require a tank to operate, they are variable speed drives.

Good evening all,

First, thanks to everyone that weighed in on the question.

I thought I would update you on my hot water tank issue, as it is now resolved. Simply. It appears, that during the winterizing process, the hot water tank hoses were removed, and then incorrectly placed back on the heat exchanger barbs. (The exchanger is not in use). Wrong! Once that was corrected, the hot water tank filled and performed flawlessly. (Hurray!)

The Galley Maid accumulator tank still has a crack on the end by the output hose. We are trying to seal that up with substance like JB weld. We have the drip greatly reduced, but the drip is still there at about 1 drip per second. We may have to replace the accumulator tank with another brand, (Suggestions anyone?) as the G.M. accum. tanks are crazy-priced. Stay tuned.

Thanks all,

Sailor John

We just put an accumulator in along with a pump. Ours is a 4.4 gallons and works just dandy.
http://www.goodboatgear.com/detail/4724/ Puffer Accumulator Tank?gclid=COfOo6eKpb4CFU8Q7AodbyAApAView attachment 29787

Here ya go.

Well Mate, this is not a nautical salutation but rather a maker of bladder tanks. The WM-4 should suit your purposes.

Back
Top Bottom