Inconsiderate boaters... its definitely getting worse on the ICW

The friendliest place on the web for anyone who enjoys boating.
If you have answers, please help by responding to the unanswered posts.
Surly things are changing, and not for the better ... wait till millennials take over completely from baby boomers ... :blush:

On the other hand, it's called progress ... faster, better?, cheaper, etc. On the road, and on the water ... more traffic, faster and nimbler vehicles and vessels, people rushing and trying to get the most out their day off work, blah, blah, blah. Slow going trawlers with relaxed and/or retired crew are not the mainstream anymore. This is the new normal ... generational thing perhaps that was always present.

On the other hand, this topic of not so slow pass, and wake, and nasty radio com pops up frequently on TF. There was one month ago or so ... interestingly enough, the context for most stories is ICW.

Ah! ICW ... maybe we should rename it to GW ... like in grumpy waterway that is somehow similar to close-knit residential road with kids playing on the street, and any car going faster than 20 MPH (equivalent of 7 knots) is frown upon.

I have not been on ICW outside of NY/NJ area, have no idea about what is happening further south, and to be honest I am getting the feeling I will not like it.

I boat on Saint Lawrence Seaway most of the time. It's a busy commercial waterway on US/Canada border with plenty of commercial freight and cruise ships, pleasure boats and sailboats, and official (USCG, CCG, CBP, CBSA, DHS, RCMP, etc) traffic. The waterway narrows down to a few hundred feet in some places, with rocky bottom and shores all the way while still maintaining two separate lanes for commercial traffic.

There is simply no place and time for slow pass in many situations. Move quickly and move out of the way is the modus operandi here. Same in and around the NY/NJ harbors.

Just a sampler of "slow pass" on SLS, an animated QT (.mov) clip made of the still photos made when approaching and passing a north amrican laker. I was going at trawler speed of around 6 knots. Hope the link works ... http://proinet.com/pics/SLSslowpass.mov

Last edited:
I have not been on ICW outside of NY/NJ area, have no idea about what is happening further south, and to be honest I am getting the feeling I will not like it.

I think perhaps then you're being given a bit distorted view of the ICW south. Yes, it is heavily traveled at times and there is some shoaling in places. Also traffic picks up around larger cities on summer weekends and holidays.

But it's got some beautiful views, different looks in every state. Also, incredible stops all along the way, places and areas to see and enjoy. For a slow leisurely time and no pressing schedule, it's still extremely enjoyable to many.

We personally do our long travels mostly outside, but we also periodically join those inside to explore and see new areas. You can have some great experiences cruising the ICW. And don't let the few inconsiderate boaters dissuade you. And for the boat that passes causing a wake, we simply ride through it. I haven't seen any wakes that all the trawlers here can't handle. Just part of it all.

Here in North East Florida I have found rudeness from all types of boaters, both power and sail. On a trip to Ft. Pierce a couple of years ago, I was flipped off and yelled at on 5 separate occasions. I remember this because each time I was at 8kts or less and all concerned were from MD or north? My parents were on board (they boat on the Chesapeake) and my father and I laughed each time, I smiled and waved. Having had smaller boats and having been waked countless times on them by larger boats I try to be extremely courteous but you cannot please all, all the time. There are some extremely narrow portions on the ICW here.

Too true but there is hope, we have just travelled the past 5 days up the ICW from Brunswick GA to where we are tonight anchored about 15 miles south of Georgetown SC.

This area is very skinny especially with a 5'6" draft but I must say that with all the boats we passed going the other way and all the boats that passed us everyone was especially nice except for a few knuckleheads.

Even had a large fishing trawler Captain and a tug and barge captain be super nice on two occasions today in real skinny water.

That said I am rethinking my original position in opposing mandatory boat operators licenses.

Here is our anchorage tonight it makes the day so worth it. ImageUploadedByTrawler Forum1399343780.366589.jpg

Up here in the PNW on the Columbia our problem is with the fisherman and their overpowered fishing boats. I was docked up in a no wake zone and about every hour or so this guy would come up to the dock full speed and on step about ten feet from mine and other boats just to let his dog go ashore. I asked why? He said because I can laughing

OK. I called the Sheriff they promptly came out and hid behind some trees and the next time he did it, he got boarded, inspected then handed a $200 ticket! He complained the "Yachts" should be allowed on the river during fishing season.

As he went by, I waved and said, because I can too!!!!!

Back
Top Bottom