The monsoon in north Florida

The friendliest place on the web for anyone who enjoys boating.
If you have answers, please help by responding to the unanswered posts.

Rogerh

Guru
Vessel Name
At Last
Vessel Make
1990 Jefferson 52 Marquessa
As some of you know the north gulf coast got incredible rain last night. Pensacola had 26 inches recorded over the past day. We did not have that much but it was incredible here as well. Extreme high tides and very bad flooding. As high as some of the hurricanes. Spent a good part of the morning trying to keep the boat off the top of the pilings. My heart goes out to all who were flooded out of their homes and affected by this storm so much more than we were. Take care and stay out of harms way.

Wow, that's a lot of rain. Hope Janice and Seaweed hasn't washed out to sea. I hope everyone is safe.Larry

Hope Janice and Seaweed hasn't washed out to sea.I

Don't think the problems at Carrabelle came anywhere near close to what they were in Pensacola. Although I suspect that she has had all the rain that she can stand for a bit. Nothing more lonesome than being a singlehander with several days of steady rain pouring down.

Not all that bad over here (even further East than Carrabelle), although certainly raining cats and dogs (saw a poodle in the road).

Yeah, our yard is flooded, but that is more a reflection of the heavy rains we have had every few days for the last 6 weeks or so. I'd say here in Wakulla we got about 4 to 6 inches yesterday and another 2 today.

Its been a wet few years.

Just a little north of Tallahassee we got 13.4 inches some crazy weather

This thread has me really worried, I'm on the opposite end of the continent from my boat. Anyone have any info on the Tampa Bay area. Any damages to boats or marinas?

I dont think there is any concern. The bulk of what I saw was all on the north Florida gulf coast. But I expect one of our Tampa area folks will confirm for you.

Tampa Bay

Capt

My boat is in Sarasota not bad there

but it is hitting the big bend part of the panhandle again right now

I know that is where I am now

3 inches in the last 2 hours

It's just a lot of rain up here, not too much wind and no tornadoes that I've heard of. I would think that Tampa area is fine. My brother in Fort Myers hadn't seen any weather at all as of yesterday afternoon.

Sounds like Tallahassee actually got more than we did down here on the coast in Wakulla, which is rare. We seem to live in the wettest part of the world the last few years.

Here in the PNW we're known for our rain.

Yesterday and today .. dry and 80 degrees.:blush:

Good luck all of you in the SE.

Four to seven inches around DC. Not as bad as other areas, but pretty bad for us.

rMa4GlMxHEIwx2WL10zqae-aFmx5DhbxUV8trvyEKRY=w349-h197-p-no

_tPWUqDVX3Md2-j-zeL1KHGQ5TyS0SQ2qrX7VDUGfTI=w350-h197-p-no

gwEZIC2CGYq6EIil4aOoP7IODRgVavFvCgcZv7IKTBY=w350-h196-p-no

Mk-gTAuqcdAqMRT46y1iuG7nku4QWWRAxu86h2WDOCo=w350-h196-p-no

xpC_UEO1EUk-ei0LU6LCeqkPSpQ9gVHKIhxadgwQPkg=w368-h207-p-no

sqh4588lS_Gbut1MgkQU3LcapD0_b4NsTZoV0keaoHE=w368-h207-p-no

jason-kopp-fish-market-sw.jpg

Here in the PNW we're known for our rain.

Yesterday and today .. dry and 80 degrees.:blush:

Good luck all of you in the SE.

Thanks for the good wishes.

I've spent a lot of time in Portland and Seattle. It sure is gray and drizzley up there a lot, but it doesn't seem to me to rain like it does here. More of a long term accumulation thing rather than our drenching multi inches per hour stuff.

Not sure which I prefer, honestly. Enjoy your sun, I'll be in Seattle week after next, I hope it holds.

Wow, that's a lot of rain. Hope Janice and Seaweed hasn't washed out to sea. I hope everyone is safe.Larry

Thanks Larry... all's well here in Carrabelle. The Kidlet's house in Pensacola (not in a flood zone) did end up with 1" throughout. She woke up and they were able to prevent a lot of the incursion. The waterline on her back door after it receded was 1' though her west fence showed 24" back there.

Her husband found the drier exhaust hose had been pushed off and water was pouring in there. Towels stopped that up but it was a mess.

Thankfully a couple years back they'd torn out the carpet and replaced it with tile (that stuff that looks like wood) and they never lost power so that was good.

I'm glad I'm on a boat with solar and wind generators. There is a degree of independence from living life off the grid though I'll admit I've become right fond of the power cord here at the mechanic's place. I even ran my crock pot one whole day, and the reefer hasn't been off. This decadent life is pretty doggone good. ;)

We got 27 inches in one day here at Pensacola. We got 5.7 inches in ONE hour. Our roads are collapsing and several washouts. We actually got more water than we did with Ivan without the surge or winds. The Blue Heron did fantastic with fender boards and lots of line. Here are some pics. I'm at Lost Key Marina.

image-2080780541.jpg

image-2525458584.jpg

image-3972119758.jpg

]

BH-pretty amazing that the dock lights are still on! Would have thought that the marina would have shut those down. Don't know that I would feel great walking down the docks!

BH-pretty amazing that the dock lights are still on! Would have thought that the marina would have shut those down. Don't know that I would feel great walking down the docks!

THD
yea they remained on as did the fuel pumps! Docks are built to "submerge" to avoid the storm surge or so I'm told. The south east winds and the tide conspired to make the flooding terrible. No warning other than coastal flooding. It was an understatement.
I came out ok. Sea Tow and Coasties were busy!

My guy checked my boat on siesta key Sarasota today. No issues...

Glad to hear all well. Having sold all my boats I dream of getting another one someday. Living life vicariously through Janices eyes. Keep it up Janice and live the good life.Larry

Gulf Shores and Orange Beach areas of Alabama got hit pretty hard. I'm at Homeport Marina in Gulf Shores and with our floating docks we came through with no problems at all despite heavy rain and winds clocked at 57 mph. Pirate's Cove in Josephine, Alabama had about 2 inches of water in the bar. The parking lot and docks are still under water. My buddy's boat house on Wolf Bay got washed away. But I drove out there this PM and they tell me the wood boat festival is still scheduled for this weekend at Pirate's Cove. Ya'll come!

Gulf Shores and Orange Beach areas of Alabama got hit pretty hard. I'm at Homeport Marina in Gulf Shores and with our floating docks we came through with no problems at all despite heavy rain and winds clocked at 57 mph. Pirate's Cove in Josephine, Alabama had about 2 inches of water in the bar. The parking lot and docks are still under water. My buddy's boat house on Wolf Bay got washed away. But I drove out there this PM and they tell me the wood boat festival is still scheduled for this weekend at Pirate's Cove. Ya'll come!

The water in Pirates Cove is not necessarily a bad thing! Cleans out the "Riff Raff"...

I hope the dogs made out OK!

Attachments

• pirate's cove dogs.jpg
    pirate's cove dogs.jpg
    174.8 KB · Views: 50
Glad to hear all well. Having sold all my boats I dream of getting another one someday. Living life vicariously through Janices eyes. Keep it up Janice and live the good life.Larry

Well, you're going to have to sit under a drip. The doggone skylight needs to be re-bed -- the one in my galley. Of course I also discovered the one the mechanics installed (for the come-along to get out the gas beast) also leaks. A two-fer.

The galley has been an issue for quite some time. In that regard I learned something: When dealing with Plexiglas, the thicker the better. Thinner stuff (like the 1/4" I have for instance) expands and contracts, thus it will leak eventually. However Lexan is the opposite: thick leaks and thin doesn't. So once it dries out I'll go up there, scrape off all the bedding compounds that have failed and have a go at it again. AGAIN.

The initial install I knew would leak. The company used 5200 which doesn't do well in sunlight. I said so but wasn't argumentative enough to have my voice heard. And it did leak a couple years later. Next tried UV4000. Ditto results. Again with Life Caulk. Ditto. Now silicone is patching but that's failing too. It needs to come off and be redone from start to finish. In all that spare time I would rather spend doing other stuff. Sigh.

I'm sure glad I live in the Sunshine State. It'd be a shame if it rained a lot here. (said while laughing) And today the skies are blue so it's a great day to dry out.

It's a boat... should have named her Theory 'cause everything works there.

I have been using butyl tape for about 3 years and had good results. In fact I did rebed my fwd cabin hatch a couple of years ago no problems yet. Inexpensive and available most hardware stores including HD and LOWes.

That line is priceless Janice, it should be my new signature line. :rofl::rofl:

Re-Bedding Deck Hardware With Bed-It Butyl Tape Photo Gallery by Compass Marine How To at pbase.com

The tutorial above is what I follow to the letter in all of my re-bedding projects and has worked flawlessly so far. Good luck with your project aboard Theory(I mean Seaweed) :)

Thanks. I'll give it a shot and it looks like my latest "good idea" (rolling eyes) aka the silicone, was a not-brilliant move. Tomorrow I'll be up there and sand it all off. Sigh.

Oh well, it seemed like a good idea at the time.

The butyl is good. I know I used that on the portlights and that helped.

Gosh I hate sanding. It's just not fun. And it's filthy! [See? I am a girl.]

And back with bandwidth again. My month rolls over on the 7th and I managed to use 3.962 gigs of my 4gig allotment last month.

Thank you for the pages on pbase. I'd seen them before but forgotten the details. Got it now and will give it a go. I still have to pick up a piece of plexi or lexan, in all that spare time of mine.

And the Theory saying? It's not mine/mine. I'm sure I saw/heard it before some place else.

Latest posts

Back
Top Bottom