View Single Post
Old 04-29-2014, 04:10 PM   #10
BandB
Guru

City: Fort Lauderdale. Florida, USA
Quote:
Originally Posted by GFC View Post
The lockmaster at Ice Harbor is a friend. When I first asked him about untying prior to him lifting the gate he was hesitant but OK'd it. When he lifts the gate the wind coming through that venturi is blowing a bazillion miles an hour. We were at the mooring bit closest to the gate and I knew we wouldn't stand a chance when the gate opened. So yes, we were untied when the gate opened.

BandB, you're right about the prop wash. I would not have gone into the lock if we'd had to be behind the tug. I called him on the VHF and asked if we could lock through with him and, after getting permission from the lockmaster, the tug skipper told me to wait for a wide spot in the river and pass him there. I did, then kept up the speed until we were well ahead of him. I wanted to be able to get into the lock and get secured before he got there so he wouldn't have to wait at all.

The wind was strong enough that it spun us about 45* to the port side in a matter of a few seconds. I was standing at the upper helm with my hands on the shifters when the gate was coming up. Had I not been right there and ready to react the bow would have taken the hit on the wall and that would have been a LOT worse.

As it was, the wind pushed us backwards about 50' before we got tossed against the wall. It held us there while the gate was coming up. I tried to use the bow thruster to get the bow off the wall and it just barely was able to move the bow out from the wall. I got the bow out about 15* from the wall then put it in gear and started moving forward.

Scared the bejesus out of me but we got out of there in one piece....sort of.
Well, I think you have it in perspective. You had a great trip. And damage could have been much worse.
BandB is offline   Reply With Quote