Transporting a 45' CHB- CA to RI

The friendliest place on the web for anyone who enjoys boating.
If you have answers, please help by responding to the unanswered posts.
Breaking down the boat to a "trailer able" height is a massive pain.... And expensive.
Only way to go is to SHIP it on a Yacht Transportation Boat. I have used Dockwise Yacht Transportation. They have a giant ship that lowers itself, you drive your boat on, and they set up bunks underneath your boat. They then raise the ship and your boat is high and dry. They will pick up the boat in
Ensenada.
Probably around $20k or so.
Taras

SevenStar does Ensenada. DYT does Golfito, Costa Rica now. Their locations are reduced since the sale with only two ships. Also, with less competition price has risen.

As to breaking boats down to trailerable, it's not cheap but it's done all the time. The shipping companies have a lot of experience. That said, my preference would be ship if possible.

If you consider shipping, contact Peters & May (check their website). they are worldwide yacht shippers, usually as deck cargo on scheduled runs. they should be able to get you from Ensenada to RI or at least pretty close. It can get fairly pricey probably around $40k or so for your boat. But, they are professional their cost is all inclusive, loading, unloading, cradle, insurance, etc. We used them from Fla to Seattle (actually Vancouver) and were very pleased with them.

I think both the cost and the time estimates are totally unrealistic for the on water route. Plus, the wear and tear on the boat is significant. The half and half options seem a reasonable compromise. Truck part way, then find a way to move the boat yourself on the water to RI.

On second thoughts, there are many boats for sale here on the East Coast (my own included!!). Why not discontinue the purchase? Agree to give up your deposit or better, negotiate an out where you pay part of the deposit. Unless you have conducted your inspection/sea trial satisfactorily it is often easy to stop the purchase without penalty. Even if the purchase has "closed" you might still be better off giving the boat back to the broker to sell, and start over in RI. May well be less costly to lose some money on the West Coast rather than lose more money shipping or moving the boat to the East Coast.

Last edited:
One more time!! Another fact to consider relates to sales tax. Assuming you complete the sale on the W. Coast you need to be careful that you do not end up paying sales tax in CA. Presumably there is a window of opportunity to move the vessel out of state before you must pay the tax. There is no sales tax in RI. Savings in sales tax could be significant.

One more time!! Another fact to consider relates to sales tax. Assuming you complete the sale on the W. Coast you need to be careful that you do not end up paying sales tax in CA. Presumably there is a window of opportunity to move the vessel out of state before you must pay the tax. There is no sales tax in RI. Savings in sales tax could be significant.

If he's going to use it for a year in California he'll have to pay taxes and register it there.

I agree. I missed the fact that the move is not till next year!!
But perhaps still time to delay the purchase, look on the East Coast and avoid CA tax and transportation costs by buying/registering in RI. There are lots of boats for sale here!!

Last edited:
There are lots of boats for sale here!!

Craigs list for fixer upper. Or Florida Mariner for local listings. might even try a broker here.

Florida Mariner

www.[B]floridamariner[/B].com/‎
Here at Florida Mariner we have new and used boats for sale in the USA. If you are looking for the perfect boat to buy from boat dealers, brokers, Private sellers ...Google+ page · Be the first to review
1479 Arredondo St, North Port, FL 34286
(941) 488-9307

Florida Boat Search

Search make, model or stock number. Search by Boat ...

Contact us

ABOUT US. Privately founded in 1984 in Venice, Florida, the ...

Place an ad

Place an ad at The Florida Mariner and get the exposure you need ...

Broker Search

Search. All A B C D E F G H I J K L M N O P Q R S T U V W X Y Z ...

More results from floridamariner.com »

Cape Codder mentioned cold in new England. You will need a de-icer to prevent the boat from getting iced in at the slip among other things. Yes, it is critical to find a marina that will accept live aboards in the area.
I was a broker in Connecticut for many years and at the marina where I worked it was about 150 feet from the nearest dock to running water in the winter and the boat owners had to pay for snow removal. Electricity was metered to pay for the de-icer and heat. The water will be too cold for reverse cycle air conditioning.

>Why not discontinue the purchase?>

Most brokerage contracts have a loophole ,> subject to financing.<

No financing and your deposit comes back.

>You will need a de-icer to prevent the boat from getting iced in at the slip among other things. <

With 22 winters aboard mostly in the NE , there is no need for a deicer , freezing in the boat does no harm.

EXCEPT if it a wooden boat where the ice freezing in the cotton calking could get started from boat motion.

Sure icing may will chew a bit of bottom paint as the ice finally departs if you do not open the hole the boat sits in , bashing a 2x4 works well.

Oil paint drys slowly in cold , but iced in is a good time to refresh the stern art.

Just to clarify, using a sea yacht hauler is complicated. The Jones Act prevents carriers moving vessels between US ports (stupid!!). This means that in order to get the boat to the East Coast, it most likely will need to travel first to Costa Rica on its own bottom. Then it is not clear whether the vessel doing the pick-up in Golfito, CR will deliver to Rhode Island or only to Ft. Lauderdale. So apart from (high) cost this is likely a complicated routing option.

Live-aboards in my marina (close to Newport, RI) do not use de-icers, but how they get power, water, and pump-outs is anybody's guess because the marina does not offer any Winter services.

Just to clarify, using a sea yacht hauler is complicated. The Jones Act prevents carriers moving vessels between US ports (stupid!!). This means that in order to get the boat to the East Coast, it most likely will need to travel first to Costa Rica on its own bottom. Then it is not clear whether the vessel doing the pick-up in Golfito, CR will deliver to Rhode Island or only to Ft. Lauderdale. So apart from (high) cost this is likely a complicated routing option.

Live-aboards in my marina (close to Newport, RI) do not use de-icers, but how they get power, water, and pump-outs is anybody's guess because the marina does not offer any Winter services.

DYT is Golfito and delivers to both Fort Lauderdale and Newport, RI. SevenStar will deliver from Ensenada to Palm Beach. Those are the currently scheduled routes. Now, of course they may change over time.

Not really complicated in those terms. But there is the task of getting the boat to the port, having it ready to take to the ship and standing by or having a Captain standing by for an extended period until they schedule you for loading as loading is generally not scheduled on a precise day but within a window. In the past with some shippers who are no longer in business loading sometimes ended up delayed months, but DYT (Now owned by SevenStar as well) and SevenStar don't have that problem.

The naval base marina has rec vessels in all year, along with in the harbor of Newport so that's not an issue. I have read a couple stories of boats going coast to coast, fly bridges came off and needed multiple vehicles given wide load. Personnally I would pass on the sale and look around Newport area when you arrive, many appartments rent by the month so if you find something you are set, including a lower cost sail boat to live on.

The naval base marina has rec vessels in all year, along with in the harbor of Newport so that's not an issue. I have read a couple stories of boats going coast to coast, fly bridges came off and needed multiple vehicles given wide load. Personnally I would pass on the sale and look around Newport area when you arrive, many appartments rent by the month so if you find something you are set, including a lower cost sail boat to live on.

Transporting by truck isn't the problem some are making it out to be. The companies that do it are professional and do it all the time. Joule, for example, lists on their site the manufacturers, dealers, and shipyards they work with. Understand that almost all Sea Rays get transported by truck and the majority of Carvers and Marquis. On most boats, removing the bridge and then reassembling it isn't difficult.

Now, that said, land transport would not be my choice. Sea transport would be. Still, it's not an unreasonable alternative.

I didn’t say it couldn't be done, logistically there are complexities. My friend who bought a 38' Carver in Mich. to be delivered to Ct was told it was routine as well, up until the truck driver hit a bridge. Yes it’s insured, but do you really need all the hassles, to me there are plenty of boats on the east coast to choose from.

Transporting by truck isn't the problem some are
making it out to be. The companies that do it are professional and do it all the time. Joule, for example, lists on their site the manufacturers, dealers, and shipyards they work with. Understand that almost all Sea Rays get transported by truck and the majority of Carvers and Marquis. On most boats, removing the bridge and then reassembling it isn't difficult.

Now, that said, land transport would not be my choice. Sea transport would be. Still, it's not an unreasonable alternative.

Ch, hello. I shipped my 42' Bristol up to Massachusetts from st. Augustine FL by truck. I had to remove the fly bridge even on a lowboy trailer. It cost 7000 plus 800 for permits and took 4 days. No damage and all in all not a bad experience. However, if you have NOT bought the boat yet and it is not the boat of your dreams then buy one on the east coast. From Florida to Maine it is a buyers market like I've never seen before!

Has anyone here moved a boat a distance?

I've gone from Ft. Lauderdale through the canal to the west coast of Costa Rica and then back. If you want to know how much it would cost to bring the boat through the canal contact canal agent Tina McBride. She can give you the numbers.

Tina McBride Yacht Services

I think both the cost and time numbers are a bit light for a delivery like that.

Back
Top Bottom