View Single Post
Old 04-26-2014, 01:30 PM   #24
BandB
Guru

City: Fort Lauderdale. Florida, USA
Quote:
Originally Posted by melroughwater View Post
Thank you for all of your posts, it has given us a lot to think about and I've looked at some numbers to see if we are jumping in to buying a boat here in San Diego and then moving it cross country in a year is justified and makes sense. Interested to hear your thoughts and am grateful for your previous input.
Our rent is $2500 a month here, so $30,000 a year for a small house that we walk away from when we leave. Our added bills of cable, gas, electric, etc. are another $500 a month approximately, so another $6,000 a year. We do move every 2-3 years to rentals that we walk away from at the end without owning anything. The boat that we are buying, the slip at the marina, all estimated expenses, puts our monthly payments for loan and bills, if we liveaboard, which we plan, at about $1,500 less per month. That is a huge savings and we own something that we can take with us. The cost to ship it is $25,000 is a lot, but we are reimbursed a portion from the military because it will be the only thing we are moving. The savings that we have every month can go toward the balance of the shipping and then we have a home in RI when we get there and can continue to live at a lower expense.
Based on your advice, I've got bids out for cross country by land, captains to take her on her belly, and trailer transport to Houston and then we can take her on her own belly to RI. My father-in-law is a captain and is looking to help, but don't want to overburden him with a LONG trip from ocean to ocean.
Has anyone here moved a boat a distance?
Great analysis. Didn't realize how long you had left there before the move. Thought the move was soon, this summer.

Father-in-law changes things a bit as he could accompany delivery captains.

One more option to toss out to you. Move by ship. You would have to take it south and pick it up at one of their ports. But SevenStar would deliver from Ensenada to Palm Beach. Dockwise did go from Costa Rica to Rhode Island but I don't know now. That may be more expensive than land. At one time it was about the same.
BandB is offline   Reply With Quote