Cruising Skills

The friendliest place on the web for anyone who enjoys boating.
If you have answers, please help by responding to the unanswered posts.
Only some of the guys with semi-experience are lost backing a boat...the others have moved on to that different level...they instinctively adapt to the difference...that's what I'm saying.

No different than any job or hobby...you only get there with either a huge commitment or time. Some learn much faster and have better experiences but it still just doesn't "happen".

You just get to a certain point being good at something...but usually in your own "domain".... then at some point you down the line you have the experience to clearly get past that first plateau.

Thus the point of the OP and the point it was making.

Me – I’ve been lucky enough to have been indoctrinated into a life-long course to learn boating... it started when I was in diapers to my latter 20's. Goes on still today! Currently 6 + decades of actively doing or thinking about boat handling/study taint all that bad! Boating, and all its nuances, is a course/life-style that has a beginning (and maybe even an extended multiyear break - such as I took) but, it needs no end! - LOL :rofl:

In all honesty... I had a couple decades in the center of my years where not much boat action was involved... however, my original boat handling decades, that included many types and size boats, were firmly implanted in me wittle bwain. When I reentered pleasure-boat-world on a regular basis the age-old boat trainings and experiences came flooding (pun intended) back to my fingertips! :socool:

For new adult boaters, especially those with little to no boat handling background or boating experience, I recommend an intense crash course (from several days to a couple weeks, or more) in boat handling (under most if not all conditions) with a very experienced boat handler as teacher; licensed captain or not. I also feel you should have this course taught in the general size and model/type of boat you are seeking to purchase as well as in the general type of area you plan to do your boating. Therefore, if you are a complete newbie your first task is to learn what type boat you are going to begin your pleasure cruising career on and where that boating will take place. Make sure your better half gets into the program too, if at all possible. Ya know the old sayen... When Momma’s Happy, Everybody’s Happy! :D

IMHO – Pleasure boating world is wide open and fully ready for new members to “come on aboard”. Reasons abound: One is that there are many affordable boats still in good condition which are languishing at docks needing new owners. For sale signs/ads are everyplace. Craigslist and Yachtworld on the net are good places to look. Check out brokers too and walk marina docks speaking with boat owners... you’ll be surprised what you’ll find and learn. Secondly, there are many cruising areas and harbors with plenty of room available to take on new boat lovers! And, thirdly... Cause You’ll Love the Lifestyle! :thumb:

Happy Boating Daze - Art :speed boat:

For new adult boaters, especially those with little to no boat handling background or boating experience, I recommend an intense crash course (from several days to a couple weeks, or more) in boat handling (under most if not all conditions) with a very experienced boat handler as teacher; licensed captain or not. I also feel you should have this course taught in the general size and model/type of boat you are seeking to purchase as well as in the general type of area you plan to do your boating.

100% worth it. We make the investment in the boat but hesitate to make it on the training. To gain the confidence one can from a good teacher is so valuable. To learn the right way to do things. If you do it aggressively and intensely you can really get a lot of experience and knowledge in a short period. I compare what we did to a total immersion course for a foreign language. Not just learning the language in a classroom but going somewhere you're forced to speak it.

"The real trick isn't putting your boat into your slip every weekend...it's putting it where the dockmaster tells you to, no matter time of day, weather or any other distraction every day of the week in a different place for months on end.

AS you learn boating , when you finally realize as the Captian what the dock master wants is nice , but if its not what you are comfortable with you can say NO!

Telling the dock master NO! will usually solve most slip access problems.

Sorry, NO! also works almost as well.

"The real trick isn't putting your boat into your slip every weekend...it's putting it where the dockmaster tells you to, no matter time of day, weather or any other distraction every day of the week in a different place for months on end.

AS you learn boating , when you finally realize as the Captian what the dock master wants is nice , but if its not what you are comfortable with you can say NO!

True...but my point was when you are at the level you CAN do it, and do it comfortably AND successfully....you have arrived.

But that's also knowing when to say NO like you said...is just as important.

Here, here! I think the problem begins with the job title of "master", dude your a parking lot attendant in a cute outfit at best. Talk about the tail trying to wag the dog.

"The real trick isn't putting your boat into your slip every weekend...it's putting it where the dockmaster tells you to, no matter time of day, weather or any other distraction every day of the week in a different place for months on end"

When the dockmaster says "if you back in today you can drive out tomorrow" it feels great to do that, and it feels even better when you see a boat very nearly crash in a bad current attempting to back away from their berth the next morning. An important notion was raised on this forum in the past which was, dock with your exit in mind.

"The real trick isn't putting your boat into your slip every weekend...it's putting it where the dockmaster tells you to, no matter time of day, weather or any other distraction every day of the week in a different place for months on end"

When the dockmaster says "if you back in today you can drive out tomorrow" it feels great to do that, and it feels even better when you see a boat very nearly crash in a bad current attempting to back away from their berth the next morning. An important notion was raised on this forum in the past which was, dock with your exit in mind.

It also starts far earlier. Good cruising skills isn't just maneuvering the boat. It included preparation. Having the tools and using them. When you talk about docking especially then visibility and maneuverability are important. Boat design is even the starting point but regardless of the boat, can you see where you need to? If not, add mirrors or cameras or the ability to control the boat from a better vision point. Controls on the side or in the cockpit. Thrusters. Properly located and placed fenders.

One lake boat that has the best and worst of it all. Small single engine outboard on a very large pontoon boat. Wind takes control. Horrible to manage boat. However, one very opposing good characteristic. 360 degree unobstructed view. Not enough to keep the wind from taking control but enough to tell you to abort and try again.

Many boats have blind spots from the helm. Swim platforms are impossible to see so you guess based on experience. Some lower sportier boats are like elongated sports cars and you truly have no idea where the bow ends. Examine your boat. Can you see all you need to for every type of docking you might face. If not, find a way to change that. And people are difficult to see through. Among the instructions our guests get are one to stay seated as we dock. Don't do anything unless we ask you to. But do not get up and start moving around.

And there should never be a mad scramble as you get close to the dock to get the fenders out. Do it earlier. We also have made it a habit of putting them out on both sides just in the event we have to dock in a different spot than first assigned. And again, for stern-to docking I recommend some form of fenders for your platform. A lot of docking isn't just handling the boat and putting it in position, but it's being prepared for whatever you need to do.

And there should never be a mad scramble as you get close to the dock to get the fenders out. Do it earlier. We also have made it a habit of putting them out on both sides just in the event we have to dock in a different spot than first assigned. And again, for stern-to docking I recommend some form of fenders for your platform. A lot of docking isn't just handling the boat and putting it in position, but it's being prepared for whatever you need to do.

Amen to that :thumb:and having lines ready, maybe even cleated as required.

Amen to that :thumb:and having lines ready, maybe even cleated as required.

Same with locks too, by the way. Just because you're told initially you'll be docking on your port side, that can always change, plus there may be someone locking through rafted to you. Both sides, ready for anything. Lines ready too.

It also starts far earlier. Good cruising skills isn't just maneuvering the boat. It included preparation. Having the tools and using them. When you talk about docking especially then visibility and maneuverability are important. Boat design is even the starting point but regardless of the boat, can you see where you need to? If not, add mirrors or cameras or the ability to control the boat from a better vision point. Controls on the side or in the cockpit. Thrusters. Properly located and placed fenders.

One lake boat that has the best and worst of it all. Small single engine outboard on a very large pontoon boat. Wind takes control. Horrible to manage boat. However, one very opposing good characteristic. 360 degree unobstructed view. Not enough to keep the wind from taking control but enough to tell you to abort and try again.

Many boats have blind spots from the helm. Swim platforms are impossible to see so you guess based on experience. Some lower sportier boats are like elongated sports cars and you truly have no idea where the bow ends. Examine your boat. Can you see all you need to for every type of docking you might face. If not, find a way to change that. And people are difficult to see through. Among the instructions our guests get are one to stay seated as we dock. Don't do anything unless we ask you to. But do not get up and start moving around.

BandB - I'm in complete agreement with your post.

Regarding portions I highlighted... and, these two boat features are not desired by everyone...but, the first one is mandatory for me; second one is greatly preferred!

1. Flying Bridge / 2. Twin Screw

As per both my boats pictured: Tollycraft is our current SF Bay/Delta Babbbby! Uniflite, also a very nice boat, was SF Bay only; sold her couple years ago.

Happy Boat Handling Daze! - Art :speed boat:

Attachments

• TO in Delta Tules 100_0429.jpg
    TO in Delta Tules 100_0429.jpg
    148.1 KB · Views: 82
  • 101_0042.jpg
    101_0042.jpg
    166.5 KB · Views: 82
BandB - I'm in complete agreement with your post.

Regarding portions I highlighted... and, these two boat features are not desired by everyone...but, the first one is mandatory for me; second one is greatly preferred!

1. Flying Bridge / 2. Twin Screw

As per both my boats pictured: Tollycraft is our current SF Bay/Delta Babbbby! Uniflite, also a very nice boat, was SF Bay only; sold her couple years ago.

Happy Boat Handling Daze! - Art :speed boat:

While having a flying bridge and twins is my preference too, that does not by itself insure an easy to dock boat. Also boats without bridges and with single engines can be made easy to dock. Although my caveat would be that I'd have to have at least bow thrusters on a single engine.

There are many boats now where you cannot see the stern well from the bridge, more so when there's a swim platform. Especially for stern-to docking the use of controls at the stern has become very common in larger boats.

There are also fairly simple ways to mount stern cameras.

This is a helmsman's skills thread. Almost nothing about cruising.

Planning and preparing is a huge part of cruising. A good balance between anchoring and overnighting in town can be important. I prefer in town a bit more.

How much of your planing do you or should you do before slipping the lines or enroute. I personally like LOTS of flexibility. Very often I don't anchor or stay at the place I had in mind in the morning. And I may change a whole section of a cruise due to weather or maintenance issues along the way. At times we meet up w others and go w them for a day or two .. or stay in town an extra day to do something special that's been discovered. Others like to keep to a plan and are more comfortable that way.

The overall length of a cruise is frequently misjudged. Many assume all will go perfectly as planned and then encounter variables that they can't cope w and be back home for somebodies wedding or back to work. I think lots of make-up time, trouble time, weather time and "I've found a more interesting way to go" time. Cruising is frequently done with an fairly open ended schedule.

Somewhere between no schedule at all and adhering perfectly to a plan made 1000 miles away is where we need to be.

But nobody will argue w halving what we'll need along the way skillfully packed aboard and to have the boat in near perfect shape.

This is a helmsman's skills thread. Almost nothing about cruising.

Planning and preparing is a huge part of cruising. A good balance between anchoring and overnighting in town can be important. I prefer in town a bit more.

How much of your planing do you or should you do before slipping the lines or enroute. I personally like LOTS of flexibility. Very often I don't anchor or stay at the place I had in mind in the morning. And I may change a whole section of a cruise due to weather or maintenance issues along the way. At times we meet up w others and go w them for a day or two .. or stay in town an extra day to do something special that's been discovered. Others like to keep to a plan and are more comfortable that way.

The overall length of a cruise is frequently misjudged. Many assume all will go perfectly as planned and then encounter variables that they can't cope w and be back home for somebodies wedding or back to work. I think lots of make-up time, trouble time, weather time and "I've found a more interesting way to go" time. Cruising is frequently done with an fairly open ended schedule.

Somewhere between no schedule at all and adhering perfectly to a plan made 1000 miles away is where we need to be.

But nobody will argue w halving what we'll need along the way skillfully packed aboard and to have the boat in near perfect shape.

It's all about preparation, both through training and the things you speak of. Then it's using that knowledge and sticking to wise decisions rather than a desire to be somewhere or something planned or what someone on board wants.

I think also asking for help when needed. That includes using tow resources, marinas, other boats to get current knowledge of areas that can be difficult.

In terms of major problems or disaster, it includes remaining calm, referencing your training and experience, and making decisions quickly, whether to call for help, abandon the vessel or anything else. Even just getting help to get ungrounded. But pushing pride out of the picture. Most of the major disasters at sea were preventable but then they also could have been or were minimized through quick action. Waiting an extra 30 minutes or hour to call Coast Guard can mean lives.

As to cruising skills too I'd say boating is a place for confidence but not for ego. Know what you can do and do it. But recognize the limitations of yourself, your boat, your crew.

Redundancy and Contingency

You should know what you're going to do in the event of anything happening. Can't get to A, we'll go to B. Weather changes. Engine fails. Filters. Watermaker. Gen. Autopilot. Illness or injury. Anything.

Something happens and it's then not panic over what will we do. It's simply going into the planned back up plan. Everything on a boat can break. Key is knowing what you'll do when it does.

Actually some need to catch up...this thread IS about cruising skills...not helmsman skills...go back and read post #1.

Don quoted me from "a single engine thread" where I basically stated..."you know you are good when......"

Cruising skills make docking skills easier...they are being aware of the frontal passage that will pin you to the dock tomorrow if you don't change to the other side...maybe even the other side of the peninsula.....or the tidal current difference....ettc..etc...

Now we're cruis'in.

My wife's the planner and she's extremely busy just before a cruise.

Actually some need to catch up...this thread IS about cruising skills...not helmsman skills...go back and read post #1.

Don quoted me from "a single engine thread" where I basically stated..."you know you are good when......"

Cruising skills make docking skills easier...they are being aware of the frontal passage that will pin you to the dock tomorrow if you don't change to the other side...maybe even the other side of the peninsula.....or the tidal current difference....ettc..etc...

Well, actually I'd say docking is a part of cruising. It all is. From the time you start until it's all over. I would consider cruising to be the all encompassing word.

That said, I'll toss out one more. Know yourself and your guests and plan from the outside accordingly. That includes destinations and pace. Cruising should feel right, not too rushed, not boring. Just right for you. There's a skill of making the cruise pleasurable. For instance, whether to stay inside or outside depends on the individuals. My wife and I would rather deal with 3-4' conditions than shoals and bridges but for another smooth water is the key. How long is your cruising day to be. What percentage of days do you move.

And to answer, you know you are good when......

You're able to relax and enjoy and are prepared for all circumstances that arise. I think at the beginning it may be 50% pleasure and 50% apprehension or uneasiness for many. When that pleasure quotient reaches 99% you are good.

Well, actually I'd say docking is a part of cruising. It all is. From the time you start until it's all over. I would consider cruising to be the all encompassing word.

That said, I'll toss out one more. Know yourself and your guests and plan from the outside accordingly. That includes destinations and pace. Cruising should feel right, not too rushed, not boring. Just right for you. There's a skill of making the cruise pleasurable. For instance, whether to stay inside or outside depends on the individuals. My wife and I would rather deal with 3-4' conditions than shoals and bridges but for another smooth water is the key. How long is your cruising day to be. What percentage of days do you move.

You're able to relax and enjoy and are prepared for all circumstances that arise. I think at the beginning it may be 50% pleasure and 50% apprehension or uneasiness for many. When that pleasure quotient reaches 99% you are good.[/QUOTE]

Only a rare few ever get there...money, time, family, health, boat, skills....all hardly ever come together enough for all but the 1%.

For me, Docking in a strong wind is still the most challenging part of cruising. My skills and confidence are growing, but I still stuff things up on occasion. Luckily I have only damaged my ego so far, but I did give my dock mate a bit of a rub a few weeks ago.

My skills are constantly improving, but I go out in more challenging weather, which keeps stretching my comfort zone.

You're able to relax and enjoy and are prepared for all circumstances that arise. I think at the beginning it may be 50% pleasure and 50% apprehension or uneasiness for many. When that pleasure quotient reaches 99% you are good.[/QUOTE]

Only a rare few ever get there...money, time, family, health, boat, skills....all hardly ever come together enough for all but the 1%.

True, but you get closer and closer. You get to where it's comfortable for you. To where you don't dread docking or trying to find a good anchorage, where you respect inlets but you're use to them, and you realize if things kick up a bit from where they were this morning you can still handle it with ease.

We felt this tremendous relief after our captain had us practice is 6-8' seas. We could have easily run quickly to shore and normally would but sometimes you can't. So without straying far we were worked hard for about three hours between both of us. Seas from all different directions. After that we knew the boat was capable and we knew how to handle it. Still in that boat we don't intentionally go out in those conditions as it's no fun. We still look at forecasts. But we don't go out in fear 3-4' will turn to 6-8' before we can get in.

We're at 99% with out captain, not to that point yet alone. But working toward it and picking the time and place we're close to that. To make a day trip to Miami or West Palm to us now is far more natural than getting in the car and driving there. And probably less stressful.

As someone said you learn by doing. But having someone teaching you can facilitate learning faster. Still over time you'll know when the stress is quite manageable within your mind. Maybe your personal threshold is 80% or 90%. Still that's a lot of pleasure. But 50% isn't very pleasurable long term. Each person knows as they feel more confident. I know one person who said that grounding helped them. They'd always dreaded doing so. But they found out where they did it, the tow boats had pulled three vessels off the day before. They found out with tow insurance, they got pulled off in a timely manner. They then pulled to a marina and relaxed while a diver checked things out. And not that they wanted to do it again, they realized that in the course of human events for them, grounding was no big deal. The journey proceeded fine the morning after.

Some pretty gross oversimplifications...
grounding in Maine is not "no big deal"...

6-8 in open water is Kayak weather.... 6-8's in a breaking inlet for many of us in 40 something footers ....is another story . You have to know when to not even get close enough that there's no return.

The trouble is ...that may be the only inlet for 50 miles and you have someone with a compound fracture and severe bleeding. The USCG helo is busy 100 miles away and the second recall crew is hours away....

99% comfortable????? Even the TFers with serious 50 years of cruising I doubt feel 99%...unless they are that good that the described scenario is less likely than getting struck by lightning (person not boat)...

And again...that's only seamanship...not family, money, etc...etc...

I wish you luck.

Last edited:
Some pretty gross oversimplifications...
grounding in Maine is not "no big deal"...

6-8 in open water is Kayak weather.... 6-8's in a breaking inlet for many of us in 40 something footers ....is another story . You have to know when to not even get close enough that there's no return.

The trouble is ...that may be the only inlet for 50 miles and you have someone with a compound fracture and severe bleeding. The USCG helo is busy 100 miles away and the second recall crew is hours away....

99% comfortable????? Even the TFers with serious 50 years of cruising I doubt feel 99%...unless they are that good that the described scenario is less likely than getting struck by lightning (person not boat)...

And again...that's only seamanship...not family, money, etc...etc...

I wish you luck.

You are correct it's oversimplification and I was only referring to one case in one location. I don't consider it nothing but it was soft grounding on the ICW in Georgia.

As to 6-8 ft., obviously it's not all the same, period very critical as is the location.

Someone with the injury you described is cause for serious concern. It's also why we've taken courses in medical care on board and subscribe to a service that provides 24/7 doctors and advice. Still we would be very concerned until we got the person to professional medical care.

Note I said 99% but that was with captains with decades of experience. Never claimed that sure just depending on our own abilities. And the point wasn't the precise percentage, it was that there is some level as you move to greater comfort that you know for yourself you've made it there. I don't even know what percent comfortable I am driving to a restaurant in my car or sitting at home while it storms. I just know as I get more training, more experienced at something, do it more, I'm more confortable. And in my life I take precautions and then feel ok. Were it not for my wife reminding me I'd be less comfortable in general and finding something to worry about.

Amit Kalantri wrote "Preparation doesn't assure victory, it assures confidence."

Yes, all this oversimplifies it but I think any discussion will do that. One could write a book on the subject and still miss some of the details and nuances. The question was asked and I answered best as I could for me. May be totally different for others.

Latest posts

Back
Top Bottom