Whats your thoughts on this................

The friendliest place on the web for anyone who enjoys boating.
If you have answers, please help by responding to the unanswered posts.

Rocky

Okay, surveyor said this blistering look to him to be from over zincing; thought we should only put one zinc on the transom. *Boatyard guy felt like it was caused from electrolysis on the bolts after the zincs were long gone.* Anyone have anything similar occur on their vessel?

Attachments

• 100_0646.jpg
    100_0646.jpg
    144.3 KB · Views: 120
True blistering on a fiberglass boat has nothing to do with zincs or electrolysis. It's caused by water osmosis into voids in the fiberglass.

While I'm certainly no expert, what you have there could be "burning" of the bottom paint. This can occur when the anti-fouling paint has a very high copper content and in effect acts like a sacrificial zinc. If the transom zincs have been missing for some time, it's possible that the bottom paint itself, if it had a high copper content, could have taken over the role of the zincs with the result you've pictured. It's not an uncommon occurrence.

As to being over-zinced, this can certainly happen with detrimental results on a wood boat but so far as I know it shouldn't be a problem on a fiberglass boat. Our GB has two large "license plate" zincs on the transom, two shaft zincs per shaft, and we drop a large zinc down about five feet on a heavy battery cable, the other end of which is clamped permanently to one of the bronze rudder bars in the lazarette. This is a common practice in our marina for several reasons, and we did this on the advice of our marine electric shop and the dive service we use to check our bottom ever six months, change the shaft zincs, etc.

Marin wrote:

True blistering on a fiberglass boat has nothing to do with zincs or electrolysis. It's caused by water osmosis into voids in the fiberglass.
That's not really correct. Uncured resins in the hull are hydroscopic, and pull water into the hull to form various compounds. They usually smell like acetic acid (vinegar) and are brownish. In any case, the only way to "dry" a hull is to use something like the hot-vac system (which I did) or actually continue to wash away these impurities with yep... more water. See:
http://www.yachtsurvey.com/my_wet_hull.htm

Looks to be more growth related?* So where does the afternoon sunny beat down on?***How did the sides hold up?** The last time you pulled was anything done to the transom? Usually the bottom paint wears off fast close to the water line and less under the hull and/or deeper in the water.***Is there a current that might have worn the paint away?* What kind of bottom paint was used, sloughing/hard drying?*

-- Edited by Phil Fill on Tuesday 22nd of June 2010 11:40:58 AM

Keith wrote:
Uncured resins in the hull are hydroscopic, and pull water into the hull to form various compounds.
That's partially correct.* Blistering can be caused in a number of ways.* Here's an explanation from a survey company...

"Fiberglass blistering is caused by one or more factors such as resin type, contamination of materials, trapped gases, built-in voids, poor wetting out of laminate, incorrect humidity or temperature and dry layup. Osmotic fiberglass blistering is a process which depends on the temperature of, and exposure time to, the water."

-- Edited by Marin on Tuesday 22nd of June 2010 01:27:09 PM

Thanks everyone for your comments.* It appears surveyors' evals and opinions definitely can differ.

Phil/Fill:* Hey, you didn't recognize me, its Pattik from PMM.* Finally got a boat bought
biggrin.gif
, its in the yard getting a bottomjob as we speak.* As to your questions posted with regard to what my surveyor is calling "overzinc" blistering, here goes:

1.* Afternoon sunny would not be hitting here, maybe some early morning sun.

2.* Actually, entire bottom held up really well considering this vessel hadn't been out of the water since 2003 and no new zincs put on either.

3.* As far as we know, nothing has been done to the transom.

4.* Have no idea if there is a current that might have worn the paint away.

5.* Bottom paint used in '03 was Trinidad and thats exactly what we are putting back on it.* I'm not sure I know what sloughing/hard drying means, exactly.

Well, Hey!So you finally bought a trawler!*I dont think it has to do with zinc of electrolyses, but 7 years of neglect.* If a fiber glass boat can be over zinced then my boat for sure is over zinced with two big main zincs, one big zinc on the bow for the thruster, and*2 fish/grooper hanging over the side.* *

I would repair blisters/transom, put two main zincs on it, and keep an eye on the transom and zincs.* At least you can see your zincs. *When you get back to your dock check the boat, water, and/or AC ground for stray electricity which is not hard just to be sure.

So you changed your name to Rocky?*

-- Edited by Phil Fill on Tuesday 22nd of June 2010 03:53:29 PM

Nope didn't really change the name, thats just hubby's name.* I probably dead wrong on this, but sometimes I worry folks on trawler forums would be less likely to talk with a woman, and I can't get hubby on these forums because he can't type worth beans.

Back to this blistered transom, actually to touch it, it doesn't feel blistered at all, more like the paint is burned off.* Boatyard guy thought that because it had been left in the water unattended for so many years without anyone putting on replacement zincs, that the bolts are the transom (without zincs on 'em) got the electrolysis and it burned, blistered or however you want to say it, the paint.* It feels smooth to the touch, other than you can feel the algae growth.* We had somewhat decided to go back with two plates on the transom, just smaller plates instead of the bigger license plate size zinc.

She goes back in the water this Friday, and we are pretty doggone excited.

Any woman that likes a trawler, or any boat for that matter, is OK with me.
Mike
Baton Rouge

Thank you Mike and I do love trawlers, slow and comfortable, just my style.

Yes, and Hi PattiK/Rocky - I had not made the connection either, but remember you from the PMM days. I still visit there sometimes, but it's gone a bit dead. I think not having Bill P posting and personally involved was the final nail after all the mucking round with the site and it's slow speed.
Re the bottom, blisters and zinks. I think you've probably done the right thing there. I would agree with the yard guy also, and am frankly sus when someone talks of over-zinking on a fibreglass boat. Much more likely it was the bolts and copper paint 'burning' from lack of zinking, but what you are doing sounds a fair compromise. Happy boating. Bet you can't wait to get her back in eh? What/where will you go/do first? Oops - getting a bit Phil/Fill-speak there maybe?

Peter B

Hey Peter B....great to hear from old friends. I miss PMM too, but the site was slow and as I discussed with Phil 6 months ago, I stopped posting because some of my posts were greeted with some fairly snide responses. I'm quite aware we're new at this and maybe my posts are pretty HooHumm to many, but to me they were legitmate questions I had. I was hopeful this site would be different and so far it has been and been very helpful.

We took the Power Squadron Coast Guard course a few years back, but would like to retake that again. Have lined up someone to help us learn a few things about fueling up, docking (especially since we have to back it in, in order to have the door on the rightside of the dock). I'm not quite sure what to call it, but after entering into Moss Landing Harbor entrance, there is a good deal of nice quiet open water that would be good for practicing. Ultimately we will hire someone to give hubby and I some lessons. Hubby has boating experience on fresh water, just not much in ocean experience. We want to be smart and safe about this. I'd love to be able to cruise on over to Santa Cruz and watch the fireworks on the 4th, but thats just a few weeks away, so probably not something that we'll do this year. I'm just pretty excited about getting it launched and over to our slip.

I appreciate your thoughts on the zincs and am inclined to agree. I'm thinking blistering was the wrong word for me to use in my original post, it really was more of a burning of the paint. I wish I'd have had a closer picture of it.

Sounds a good plan Patti, and by the way, don't give up on the idea of making those fireworks. Where will your berth be, and how far is it to go? There is something special about doing that and watching a good display on the water from YOUR OWN BOAT, when they are happening over water. I presume that would be your 4th of July celebration. My wife and I enjoy going up the Brisbane River for our city New Yrs fireworks display, and that is a 6 hr steam from our marina, yet still worth it.
Oh, and one more thing - don't ever be shy about your sex. Women who really love boats are a rare....sorta like gold, maybe even like that Avatar stuff, unobtanium, and that husband of yours may just not realise what a treasure he has. You might want to get some mileage outa that.

Fireworks are not far, maybe less than an hour or so. Power squadron may do this as a group, and that would be fun, need to check on it.

Love your whole thought on women liking trawlers as "unobtanium" however, I'll try and get some mileage out of this as you suggested. Hubby just knows me well, and I am the google queen when it comes to being an "informed consumer." I research just about anything before I buy. Currently looking to get a pressure washer and after doing my homework, see that its the pump on the machine thats more important than anythingelse. Hubby is great face to face, just sucks on handling things via the telephone or Internet, and really, I don't mind, cuz I make some great friends on this sites.

BTW.....we were able to use a hairdryer to warm up the vinyl letters on the transom and old name removed relatively well. Unfortunately, when we removed the teak plank signs on the sides of the boat, we found that the seller had originally put vinyl letters on the house (when the house was white) decided to paint it tan, and painted right over the vinyl letters...grrrrrr, I was so angry when I saw this. Not that I'm superstitious or anything, but since we are renaming I need to remove any signs of the old name. I was able to remove the painted vinyl letters off of one side of the house, of course now it still reads the old name, because house is tan and white lettering shows. Side of the house that faced the hottest part of the day, am having lots more problems getting off these letters. Any ideas for removal? I'll try the hairdryer again and see how that works.

Yup, I know what you mean and the reason I still use Phil/Fill.* *

I check PMM every morning, old habits are had to change.*

That is an interesting idea that since the zinc were gone that the copper in the paint conducted the electricity.* So there must have been some stray electricity in the water/boat/AC ground.* Be sure to check for stray electricity when you get it back to your slip.* Other than the transom, how did thing look?*

Why not make new name boards?* Not that hard with a router, which you might/should have anyway.* Think of it as an investment for future projects?* Well, that is what I tell myself when buying new tools/toys.*So what is the new name?* So besides renaming what else is on the to due/want list?* ***

-- Edited by Phil Fill on Wednesday 23rd of June 2010 01:48:31 PM

Phil,

Rest of the bottom looked really good. It was funny how many folks from "C" dock came over to see what it looked liked when hauled out (guess many of them were aware the sellers had let it sit since 2004 without a haul out or zinc replacement). Everyone looked shocked, including the seller at how good the bottom looked. Yard guy said we must have a good spot in the marina.

Yep, I think new name boards are in order. Going to stay with teak boards and haven't decided whether to router them ourselves or have a local woodguy do it. Don't know if you will remember, but my hubby is a retired deputy sheriff, SO.....we went with the boat name of "Wazz-A-Fuzz". As far as a ta-do list, I could go on forever. Brightwork is shot, teak decks are solid, no loose fasteners, no spongeness, no missing plugs either. House needs polishing and we've already invested in a polisher. Hubby paid for someone to power wash the hull last weekend and we spent two days with the polisher and rubbing compound, then hired someone to finish it with 3m's "finesse" and a wax. Bottomline, it'll need painting in a couple years. I'm shopping for a pressure washer, as I think this whole boat could use it. Electronics are all 2003, so some of those may need replaced, am not sure on that though. Boat has canvas for the flybridge and all windows, aftcabin hatch, and hatch over the v-birth and it all appears to be in good shape. We'd really love to do a whole eisenglass enclosure on the flybridge just to add more protected room onboard, but that will have to be way down the road a ways. I'll post some pics of her after we get her back in her slip. What a dream come true this has been. As you know Phil, we've been looking since 2007, and had really about given up; this boat just kinda fell in our lap, so to speak. Maybe it was just meant to be, I don't know, but am glad it worked out for us.

Rocky wrote:

*Maybe it was just meant to be, I don't know, but am glad it worked out for us.
*Some times a boat just call to you.* Call it fate call*it*karma. It's all good*

Congradulations. She's all yours now.

SD*

Thanks Skipperdude. I am just so stoked about it all. Now I can get on this site and not feel like a geek because I don't own a trawler. I's be a trawler-owner now!!!

You were never a Geek.**It is all about boats.* Heck I will talk boats to everyone.

You just have a stronger point of refrence now.*
You are even one up on me. My boat is a trawler only because I say so.
*She is actually a full displacement work boat.*A Truck boat if you will.
*I have just re formed her to my needs and now use her as a Trawler.
*She is getting really cool after the work I have done and she becons at every glance I give her.

Who said boats don't have a soul.
SD

Is that the boat in your avatar? If so, I like the lines of her ALOT. Its sounds pretty cheesy, but I think of our new CHB purchase as almost a "rescue." Sellers had long since lost complete interest in her, and inasmuch as we were their neighbors, we watched them come and go often. I don't believe in 6 years I've ever seen them take a hose and rinse her off or really do much of anything. So when we saw them moving off of her on Memorial weekend, something nagged at both myself and my hubby that we needed to try and get her bought. The rest is history as they say, but everything fell into place so smoothly and I think this old trawler is grinnin, I know I am.

Thats her the Apache II She was built in 74 by an Apache indian.
She was built as a Power Troller for Salmon in the PNW.
Moved to alaska in the early 80's and fished as a shrimp pot boat for 20 years.
Put her back into service for a Commercial shrimp opener this year. (See the thread on putting your boat to work)

She was old and getting tired but her heart was still strong. I have re built her. She is a fine lady again. She takes me all over the Prince William Sound and home again with nary a miss.
She may not be fancy but she is paid for and she is all mine or is it vice versa.
Sometimes I wonder

They say it is not the vessel it is the voyage. I tend to think it is the other way around,

SD

Congrats Rocky!!!!!! Keep us posted on her progress!!!

With no zincs for several years, I wonder how the Thru-hulls and Sea Valves looked??* Did they need replacing as well?

Hi Steve,

Thru-hulls and sea valves all checked out fine, didn't have to replace a one of 'em. Everyone at the boatyard and a few boaters that came over from the dock felt like we just had a "good" spot in the marina or just got lucky. Bottom job turned out great, although we walked out of the boatyard a few grand lighter in the wallet. I'll post some pics of the new bottom. Launched her back in the water this past Friday, fueled her up and haven't stopped workin on her since we got back to the slip....LOL

Everyone....I feel like some goofy grandparent showing off pics of the new grandkid....so bear with me
biggrin.gif
, I'm just really proud at how well she's looking so far. Took a close up of that same blistered area with new paint and zincs, we'll see how it goes.* By the way, do all CHBs have that fish decoration under the swim platform?

Attachments

• 000_0436.jpg
    000_0436.jpg
    94.6 KB · Views: 46
  • 000_0438.jpg
    000_0438.jpg
    109.7 KB · Views: 45
  • 000_0439.jpg
    000_0439.jpg
    112.3 KB · Views: 47
  • 000_0441.jpg
    000_0441.jpg
    107.5 KB · Views: 42
Rocky:

It's a real pleasure to share in your enthusiasm for the new boat. It's looking great!

-- Edited by SeaHorse II on Monday 28th of June 2010 09:13:22 PM

Well thank you. A definite work in progress, but we're sure having fun. Thanks for lookin and sharing with me.

Pattik

The fish looks pretty cool.
I would think it is aftermarket. Never seen the like before

SD

Skipperdude,

I'd have thought for sure it was a very Taiwanezze thing to add, just looks like something they'd do, but it may be aftermarket too. We'd have never really even noticed this, had it not been out of the water for the bottom job.

Your bottom looks so much better than mine!* We had a few gelcoat blisters but nothing serious.* *I'm going to haul out after hurricane season and have my bottom done at that time.* I'll post pics!

Latest posts

Back
Top Bottom