What magazines do Inmates here read?

The friendliest place on the web for anyone who enjoys boating.
If you have answers, please help by responding to the unanswered posts.

Moby Nick

Vessel Name
Du NORD
Vessel Make
Albin-25
We switched from a 28ft trailer-sailing Shearwater Yawl to an Albin-25 three years ago, and I yet to find a "motorboat magazine" I like. Online discount tickets to Strictly Sail in Chicago a couple of years ago included a one-year subscription to some magazine seeming to feature mostly way out motor yachts from Italy, so I let that one lapse.

I've subscribed to a lot of sailing magazines over the years, and still consider several to be compelling; SAILING, for the photography and inclusion of sailboats of all sizes; Messing About In Boats, because the editor likes to publish my articles; Good Old Boat; and WoodenBoat.

I like print media (no offense to present company).

I'd like to learn more about Diesels and read about cruising in 20-40-ft motor vessels.

Greetings,
Mr. MN. It may not surprise anyone here but....

images

I do find Passage Maker very uneven. Great one issue, eh the next issue. But most are good. I do like Cruising Outpost a lot, the recent incarnation of Latitudes and Attitudes. Almost all sail but I like the style, fun break from slick boring magazines.

My wife somehow got offers for cheap subscriptions to a couple other boating magazines but they feature very expensive yachts or sailboats and cruises to places I will never go.

The BoatUS magazine I get with my membership is good sometimes.

And I forgot Chesapeake Bay magazine. Obviously it is regional but that's where I am from originally and where I'm planning to cruise soon.

Passage maker and Pacific Yachting (Vancouver BC production.) Used to enjoy Latitudes & Attitudes for its irreverence so glad to hear it has risen from the ashes.

Practical Sailor and Pacific Yachting. Still buy Woodenboat at the newsstand. Used to subscribe to Passagemaker, but very occasionally buy on the newsstand. Way too pretentious and absolute for me now.

I have all the back issues of Woodenboat, most of Pacific Yachting, a few early years of Passagemaker, but gave away all of my Lats and Atts.

Pacific Nor’West Boating

Another digital magazine here in the NW: Pacific Nor’West Boating

They allow you to download the archives for free too in PDF format so you can transfer to your Ipad, Etc.

Kevin

Passage maker, soundings, boat US. Marina Life good for dreaming on future trips.

I think PassageMaker is the closest thing to a magazine for "trawler" owners or power cruisers like us. There is a west coast magazine (covers Mexico to Alaska) named Sea that is power cruiser intensive. And we're trying to get more trawler content into Cruising Outpost, both in terms of stories and advertisers.

Though you profess a liking for print (I do , too), I'll second Kpoling's mention of Pacific Nor'west Boating. Good stories and info on power cruising. That and Classic Yacht magazine are very good online/digital boating publications. That's because they were designed to be read on a computer or laptop, not just a pdf of the print version.

I find the blogs here and other web sites just as or even more believable than what I see in print.

Not only myself but a few other dedicated captains and cruisers I associate with find articles written for magazines tend to be written just a little beyond that of a regular cruiser in many ways.

I used to subscribe to a lot of boating mags...but once I went beyond the "newbie" stage and had some contacts in the marine field that I trusted...I only scan printed or even internet published stuff and just add it to the now overwhelming amount of data available through the internet.

Only one worth the read,

Professional BoatBuilder

www.[B]proboat[/B].com/‎
from Professional BoatBuilder magazine No. 148 ... One look at the portfolio of Janusz Konkol, a boat designer and builder in Poland, .... ProBoat Drawing Board ...

Articles

Article Archives. Articles · Shop Shots / Videos · Attention to ...

Making It Fit: Rick's Method

Making It Fit: Rick's Method. Making it fit. Rick Barkhuff (ALL ...

Subscribe to the Magazine

Digital issue of Professional BoatBuilder magazine. ... While ...

Subscriber Guide

Subscriber Guide. Here are some helpful suggestions and ...

Classifieds

Classifieds. Business Opportunities; Composites ...

Subject Index

Professional BoatBuilder Subject

Power and Motoryacht. Geared more towards the high end, but usually contains some good articles on maintenance and cruising. Watch for a free subscription, I have been getting it for no cost since 1987.

I will second FF's recommendation on Professional Boat Builder magazine. I have been reading it for about 20 years. Very good technical and engineering articles.

I also wanted to mention Northwest Yachting magazine out of Seattle for a print monthly. Lots of NW articles and local boat news.

Kevin

Paper? We don't do. Just don't. First, no reason for it. Second, no telling where we'd be when it was delivered.

So zero paper.

As to web available, nearly everything boating imaginable from trawlers to speed. The ones we like best are reviews of boats, as we're just a lover of all boats, and talk about cruises and trips. Occasionally highlighting new equipment or trends is nice.

And we do read blogs. Love to see where people are going and have been.

Paper? We don't do. Just don't. First, no reason for it. Second, no telling where we'd be when it was delivered.

So zero paper.

I totally agree. I gave up every magazine about 5 years ago and never looked back or felt like I was missing anything.

But I think it's more than just a paper issue...

I think the information in the magazines is BS. Total BS. And I say that having written articles in many magazines (including Passagemaker). Yes, there are some exceptions but they are very, very rare - like Practical Sailor. Besides the fact that the lead time is 3 months or more so there's rarely any news of value, you never quite know the reason for the article or who is really paying for it. Here's just one example I recently came across...

There was an article in one of the major magazines about how to paint your boat yourself. The article included the final shot of the finished paint job. The boat was beautiful - shiny, clean, and exactly what you'd want for your boat. One problem though - the picture was Photoshop'd. I know the person who owns the boat and wrote the article. Other candid pictures posted in blogs, etc show the real paint job. It was a disaster. Paint is smudged into stripe lines, there are peeling spots, blemishes. You would never want that finish for your own boat. It's just all BS and who's to know the difference.

I think that there is much more quality information in forums (if there's no nasty bickering) and among the many real boaters out who write blogs. That's real information. There's no paint company paying for the article. No boat manufacturer paying for the "review". The information is real. It might not be as pretty but I like reality much more than the fabrications of editors who, for the most part, sit behind desks and not helms. I've learned much more from all the online media than any magazine.

I've said it before - the only good use for paper onboard is toilet paper. Although I'd have to admit, in a pinch, a magazine would have use there too.

I like to read about places to visit, read about other boats, and read about how to care for a boat. Yes I could get this on the Internet but I have trouble with the idea of settling down for a good soak in the tub with a computer or even a phone. If I drop the magazine into the tub I'm only out a couple dollars.

Magazine ads give me ideas on things that might make boating safer or more enjoyable. I might buy I might not. Magazines are easy to take with me to read at the doctor's office or waiting for a haircut.

If someone has something against magazines, fine. I still enjoy them.

I like to read about places to visit...

As long as you know the truth about what you're reading, great, read away. I like reading a good novel at times too.

If you read an article with beautiful pictures especially about a particular marina, realize that the marina might be paying for it. Or at a minimum, the writer of the article was given free dockage in exchange for the understanding that something great would be written about the area.

Surely you know that happens, right?

As long as you know the truth about what you're reading, great, read away. I like reading a good novel at times too.

If you read an article with beautiful pictures especially about a particular marina, realize that the marina might be paying for it. Or at a minimum, the writer of the article was given free dockage in exchange for the understanding that something great would be written about the area.

Surely you know that happens, right?

Sometimes people lie on the Internet as well. Or they are misinformed. You don't even have to leave this forum to experience that.

I like Vanity Fair. Excellent in-depth well written stories. Great photography, and true worldwide orientations. There's sometimes even some spectacular yachts, contemporary and of yore.
Latitude 38 is a great one geared towards active cruisers oriented towards Pacific coast.
I get Esquire to give to the boys in hopes they will learn to dress better instead of following my example which apparently is based on Larry the Cable Guy.
Online I like that digital magazine mentioned above. For appreciation of the fair sex, one can't beat Playboy Romania on Facebook. Who knew? Well, now you do.

I like Vanity Fair. Excellent in-depth well written stories. Great photography, and true worldwide orientations. There's sometimes even some spectacular yachts, contemporary and of yore.
Latitude 38 is a great one geared towards active cruisers oriented towards Pacific coast.
I get Esquire to give to the boys in hopes they will learn to dress better instead of following my example which apparently is based on Larry the Cable Guy.
Online I like that digital magazine mentioned above. For appreciation of the fair sex, one can't beat Playboy Romania on Facebook. Who knew? Well, now you do.

Wifey B: Now you know that made us look and then the links. Ok, if we weren't about to go to dinner......yes, I like hot girls too and hubby definitely likes. Jordan Monroe, Miss October 2006, is his fave.

Ok, going to tell you a mag I like. Psychology Today. And Parenting, even though we don't have kids. And we love reading all cruising books on our Kindles.

Ocean Navigator was pretty good there for a while. Professional Mariner is also interesting. Power and Motor Yacht is good for the price (free) and has lately come down to earth.

The PNW and the Chesapeake seem to have a lot of interesting magazines.

In Australia there are the usual glitzy publications, but the stand out mag is the free one called "Afloat" available at all kinds of marine establishments and online. The publisher prints "priceless", in lieu of a price, on the cover page, it is funded by advertising revenue, feels like a community publication, and hopefully turns a well deserved profit for its proprietor.

The publisher prints "priceless", in lieu of a price, on the cover page, it is funded by advertising revenue, feels like a community publication, and hopefully turns a well deserved profit for its proprietor.

So tell me this...

When, let's say, a bottom paint manufacturer goes to the publisher and offers a contract for 12 full page ads over the year, what do you think will happen when there is an article written about bottom paint sometime during the year? How balanced do you think the content will be?

It's all the old model of publication and promotion. It failed, not because of the media (paper), but because of the model. The objective of the publication is not to convey the truth. It is to increase the revenue to their advertisers. Quality publications used to have a strong boundary between content and advertising. Those were the days of journalism. That no longer exists and the readers are just pawns in the game they're playing.

AC, I understand what you're saying but here's my list of paper mags....

PassageMaker
PMY
SEA
Boat US
ShowBoat
Cruising World.

Now I don't really care if someone got free dock space for doing a writeup on his favorite marina or place to visit. The pics show what the place looks like and, even though the writer may rave about the food, as long as he gives me info on what the place has available (dock space, gas/diesel, provisions, water, etc.) I don't really care if he liked the food or not.

Yes, I'm on AC with 750+ posts and I like the reviews of places and facilities. I peruse both AC and magazines to find places that look interesting.

BTW, thanks for making AC such a great place.

So tell me this...

When, let's say, a bottom paint manufacturer goes to the publisher and offers a contract for 12 full page ads over the year, what do you think will happen when there is an article written about bottom paint sometime during the year? How balanced do you think the content will be?

It's all the old model of publication and promotion. It failed, not because of the media (paper), but because of the model. The objective of the publication is not to convey the truth. It is to increase the revenue to their advertisers. Quality publications used to have a strong boundary between content and advertising. Those were the days of journalism. That no longer exists and the readers are just pawns in the game they're playing.

You seem to be painting all magazines with the same broad brush and without any documentation.

What do you have to say about Seaworthy from Boat US Insurance?

You seem to be painting all magazines with the same broad brush and without any documentation.

What do you have to say about Seaworthy from Boat US Insurance?

That is a bit unfair to paint them all that way and I believe the method of delivery, paper, versus the ease and lower cost of obtaining information on line was critical to the downfall of many. I also think he was generalizing and not necessarily saying all. But, yes, magazines and websites are subject to a careful balance of content and advertisers.

Separating the content side of your publishing from the advertising side is a constant battle. Why do you see no bad boat reviews in print or online? Just good, better and great. Because all the builders are potential advertisers. Nearly all websites depend on advertising. Nearly all publications. Consumer Reports being the primary example that doesn't.

Even a site that has reviews which are visitor opinions treads carefully. They have to allow legitimate bad reviews but they also have to be aware that competitors sometimes try to hurt a business and be prepared to handle the vicious unsupported comments.

There is absolutely nothing new about the impact of advertisers on publishers. In fact there was a time in which the reaction was probably stronger and more personal. If you want to see a huge conflict, go to a doctor's office and pick up all the free educational brochures. All done by pharmaceuticals.

Seaworthy is a different story. It's someone using a publication to promote themselves. Boat US uses it to promote their entire business and especially their insurance. But there is nothing in my opinion wrong with that. They are an aggressive organization selling a wide range of products and services. But the information in Seaworthy is also very useful.

And magazines can also have excellent content in spite of the fact advertisers are critical to them. As an example, they can write a great article talking about salvage costs and being sure you're adequately covered by your insurance. Then they will attempt to place an Insurance company ad right opposite the article. That doesn't mean the article isn't good or valuable. That's just good ad placement.

Look at product placement on television and in movies. It all started big time with ET. Reeses Pieces. M & M's made the huge mistake of turning that opportunity down. No one had heard of Reeses Pieces before.

The influence of advertisers is here with us, real, has been, will be. As consumers we just have to be wise to avoid the pitfalls of allowing it to unduly influence us. Take reviews of products with a degree of cynicism. But still you can pull useful information. Product characteristics to compare to competition. If I read a boat review on one of the major review sites online, I don't read to find out if they like it or not. I know they will. But I find out features, performance, and other things I might not otherwise know. Plus I pick up on any details that may expose something I don't like. For instance, I read a great review of a Hatteras 100 but it talks about the poor vision from the lower helm. Well, the Hatteras 60 has similar design and I'd worried about that on it. I've read great reviews that mention within the course all the teak and the work involved. Or tight engine rooms. I just know they're not going to say, "this is a bad boat, don't buy it."

Latest posts

Back
Top Bottom