plywood boat plan

The friendliest place on the web for anyone who enjoys boating.
If you have answers, please help by responding to the unanswered posts.

raymond1

I am looking for a plan for a plywood cruiser - 90 percent for coastal cruising ( several months at a time) but would need to be able to make a passage to Easter Island, should accomodate family of four with 2 guest for a week or so at a time, beachable, draft under 2 feet , prop fully protected by skeg, displacement speed is fast enough , around 40 ft length, center board or retractable ? okay , trawler catamaran ? buehler ullin light? Parker Dory 50 ? woods skoota 38 ? ( told range would be limitede due to tankage size for displacement) I prefer ply on frame but will consider anything Thanks, Raymond

The Easter Island? Rapa Nui? Due west of Chile? The one with the stone heads. The moai? One of the most remote places in the world? Of Kon Tiki fame? That Easter Island?

Last edited:
had intended to build a diesel duck , but have since changed my mind, any direction would be appreciated thanks, Raymond

Plans? Why on earth would you want to build to a set of plans (says he who wished he had a set of plans instead of making it up as the build continues) haha

Sent from my iPad using Trawler Forum

Take a look at Sam Devlin's designs. He's got several plywood designs in the size you're talking about. I don't think any of his boats have the range you'd need to make it under power to Easter Island. Devlin's Sockeye 45 if built as a motor sailor might be suitable.
Devlin Designing Boat Builders - Sockeye 45

A good friend of mine had always wanted to go to Easter Island. He finally made it last year when he took a cruise ship to Australia that stopped for a day in Easter Island. He was pretty disappointed. You might want to do some more research on that before you make that kind of range a requirement.

I have built a boat from scratch. It took over two years and cost more than buying one already on its feet. I'm glad I did it, I learned much, but I don't think most realize how much work is involved. It took four months to loft, build, glass and flip the hull. I thought I was near being done. No where close!!

40', room for six, 2' draw, bluewater long range voyage capable?? Very ambitious. A 40' boat usually has a propeller around 2' in diameter, and that must be under water.

Probably best to shop for a sailboat. For 50k, you could be on the water in a week.

Probably best to shop for a sailboat. For 50k, you could be on the water in a week.

The west coast of the Americas is prime sailing country. Couldn't agree more with Ski's comments. A well outfitted 38 to 44 foot sailboat would be 1/2 the cost of your dream project and if bought wisely, could be easily resold. We've friends with a sailing cat and they've been all over the Americas' west coasts on it.

Have you been reading books on construction methods? George Beuhler's books come to mind.

The Diesel Duck does seem to meet most of your criteria. Idlewild, except with an aluminum hull, proves the dream can be done.

More than 1800 miles from Chile...any intermediate stops as that's really beyond "coastal cruising".....

My vote is a big old sailboat hull either used as a sailboat or retrofitted as something between sail and Boxy trawler....much easier and quicker...but if you want to go the hefty trawler route with good resale...seek out a naval architect you would work with and get what you want.

If you are thinking at all about resale, buy a used boat and use your skills to make it perfect. Use it and when the time comes, sell it. The market for a used home-made boat is pretty small.

If you're a boater, buy a boat and spend your time on the water!

Last edited:
Look at Glen-L we'd site. They have some boat plans that would meet your needs (and patterns are full size - no lifting)
Good luck

building

I intend to build the boat - have built a few already - largest 27 foot cabin cruiser ( which my wife calls the little ship), not concerned about resale ( can't post on here what the wife says about that)

There once was many many plywood boats and plans. One of the greatest boat designers of the last century Atkin has many designs that can be planked in ply. Check out Atkin Boat Plans or just atkinboatplans.com. At least a great browse for those that appreciate good lines and hull forms. I have his design book and browse it regularly. I have several study plans and intend to purchase 2 full plans soon.

I'm not fond of the Glen L boats. Too many wide flat and fast. I almost bought a Glen L boat though. A 28' plywood trawler w a 36hp Perkins. Eventually bought a 30' Willard. See where contacting the Wooden Boat Center takes you.

I can't quite remember a good possibility something like Haplong but don't think he offers anything big enough for you. Perhaps our resident designer TAD that's some recommendations. Also go on boatdesign.net and surf. A huge site so it may take time to hit pay dirt.

I'm with you on plywood. Very strong, light or both to a lesser degree. And relatively easy to construct. I designed and built an experimental boat in the 70s and I used ply and resourcinal glue.

about a duck

really like the deisel ducks but wanted something shoal draft , also none of the plans that I reviewed had accomodations for other than a couple, read I think all his books

has anybody looked at the parker marine 50 ft dory or the 42 ft catamaran plans by him ? seems the catamaran might be ideal ( not sure how I would get a 20 -22 ft wide boat off the property short of a helicopter though)

The parker plan looks good. After seeing one last year, I found the accommodations too basic for a modern family cruise ship.
You should look at the Odessa or Klondike plans from Glen-l...

really like the deisel ducks but wanted something shoal draft , also none of the plans that I reviewed had accomodations for other than a couple, read I think all his books

In case you have not visited the Diesel Duck website, it is here, Stock Plans

The interiors can be modified from what is on the plans. There seems to be a pretty good choice of interiors depending on who built a particular Duck. The big change in the current Duck interiors is to have a passage way below deck on the port side. The passage way allows access from the stern to the bow without having to go up into the pilot house and then back down below. The passage way is being used for storage or as the galley. I like the galley design better.

Buehler posted a new 41 foot design last month that looks like the smallest Duck with a forward cabin. It also has the passage and integrated stern swim platform. 41-Plus Duck New version

There are larger boats with more room but they require more draft and I don't know if he has plans to build them from wood/fiberglass.

Later,
Dan

Plans? Why on earth would you want to build to a set of plans (says he who wished he had a set of plans instead of making it up as he goes...Sent from my iPad using Trawler Forum

Well, Matt, at least no-one can accuse you of "not following the plan", eh..?

I have built boats before. I have spent hours and hours online looking at boat plans. In my own personal opinion Bruce Roberts is about the best out there. If they are built right a Bruce Roberts design holds its value. He has plans for about any kind of boat you would want. In about any kind of material you would want.

That being said. It would be faster and cheaper to find something that fits your needs. Boat builders are obsessive. And everything has just got to be just right in there heads.So costs skyrockets out of control. If you are still determined to build your own boat. Do something small and cheap first. Harold dynamite Payson Has a line of boats called instant boats. They are all plywood boats designs. And they can be built in a couple of weekends. He also has written a couple of books. Buy them read them. And anything else you can find on the subject.

Here's an option

I know you have dreams of building a boat from scratch. Here's a boat that has a hull that's built like a brick sht house. I looked at his boat several years ago and met the builder owner. The hull is very fair for a home built hull. The engine is in excellent shape and comes with a spare brand new engine. I would have to redo the interior and rework some of the systems and electronics. The owner has cruised the boat twice to Mexico. He is an older contractor who built the boat to his needs, which in my opinion are a little strange system wise. However there is a ton of value in eguipment and solid basic construction. The pilot house is aft where the ride is best. The boat survived a major hurricane in Mexico and came out undamaged. Asking price is less than half of the cost to build. The owner spent tons on the hull and then went rv on the galley and interior. The interior is white washed oak. Rv range, master state room bed over the genny. A lot of things I would do differently. Still a head start in time and money. ttp://www.yachtworld.com/boats/1997/Beebe-Design-Pilothouse-LRC-Passagemaker-2662905/Stockton/CA/United-States#.U1Z-UvldU9I

wow, wow, talk about eye appeal!

Luke Brown Yachts

I saw this boat today dock walking then did a search with her name and found this listing. Turns out she's built of plywood. She looked like a tank in person.

Latest posts

Back
Top Bottom