View Single Post
Old 04-12-2014, 11:37 AM   #33
N4061
Guru

N4 Running Out of Time

Quote:
Originally Posted by Peter B View Post
John, as a matter of interest, why did you fall out of love with the N35 so quickly..? Do you really, really, really want to do real blue water cruising, or are you more in love with the dream of doing it..? I must humbly admit I probably fall into that latter category….

By the way, if you are really serious, there's a Diesel Duck being advertised on the forum right now. They are definitely ocean capable...Google the exploits of 'ICE'…
ICE
I should clarify that we love our N35 and it has served its mission of getting us back on the water. Remember this purchase was always meant to be a test boat to see if Mary was ready for boating again. The boat is 100% amazing between its quality, robustness, performance and great looks which Mary has become accustomed to and thus the reason I went with another Nordhavn. Our biggest problem over the past years of boat ownership has always been the lack of time to set out for weeks or months at a time but we are getting closer to reaching early retirement and I would like to make our next boat the one that can take us to Hawaii, Alaska, Panama and the east coast. We have no desire to go around the world and it will only be the two of us aboard 90% of the time so I need a smaller boat that can accomplish this mission. Stabilization and range are two key factors we need to consider thus we keep coming back to smaller FD boats.

The N40 (with our custom layout we almost built) is really the perfect boat for us followed possibly by the N47 (a little big for me) but the prices of new boats are killing us. To pay close to $800K for an N40 doesn't make financial sense and a N52 (N47 is out of production) is well over $1M. I'm a little guy playing in this game who prefers a new boat (so does the real captain) for the warranty and historically fewer issues to deal with once we push off. To matters a little more confusing recent changes at work are causing some ripples in our plans to start taking more time off (near term) before formal retirement and may result in us just keeping the N35 for a few more years. I should know about this within the next month or two in the mean time we have the boat listed.

Life rarely goes as planned and one of the few guarantees we all have is that time will run out sooner then we think, gotta make that last voyage soon!

John T.
N3522
La Tempestad
N4061 is offline   Reply With Quote