Coast Guard Documentation

The friendliest place on the web for anyone who enjoys boating.
If you have answers, please help by responding to the unanswered posts.

IMG2

Veteran Member
I bought my boat in January and finalized the paperwork on the 28th. I used a marine title company to handle all of the paperwork. My Certificate of Documentation just arrived Saturday.

I've seen a thread about how long it takes to get docs and in my case it was a bit less than 10 weeks.

Your annual renewals should come much faster, especially if you renew online.

The time of year has a lot to do with it too. The backlog will pick up as the weather warms up and more boats are transferred

During late 2010, it took about two months for my new-boat documentation to be processed. The boat was still under construction, but the hull had been built.

ry%3D400

img_225520_1_d67d6c950c2c1694bec0a9d316f16d9e.jpg

Last edited:
During the 2010/2011 winter, it took about two months for my new-boat documentation to be processed.

If you were the first owner....meaning factory to you...it doesn't get any easier....not sure how much a dealership adds to the complication.

Of course you wouldn't think a nice neat package of previous owners that continued documentation would be that hard either...maybe it's the tough ones that bog the entire place down if it's always first come first serve.

Wow Mark...I would have thought they would have just welded the numbers in a bead in the bilge....did they do that or just that wooden plaque????

Wow Mark...I would have thought they would have just welded the numbers in a bead in the bilge....did they do that or just that wooden plaque????

The boat would be visibly scarred if the plaque was removed.

The boat would be visibly scarred if the plaque was removed.

I know it's accepted by the USCG as an OK way of marking...just many metal boats I've been on had a bead welded number...certainly easier to see than in the bilge...:thumb:

Steel boats will have numbers welded on IF the builder got the numbers a head of time.

On GRP boats the numbers can be painted inside on the hull and then coated with a layer of glass cloth in epoxy .

Documented Vessel

What are the upsides and downsides to documentation.

What are the upsides and downsides to documentation.

International travel for one.

A US documented vessel is recognized as such by other countries.

A state registered vessel may or may not be recognized by a visiting country and may not be allowed entry, depending on the laws of the country being visited.

For those with the time interest and talent almost any method of identification can be removed and replaced. Some place a hidden ID # on the boat along with the obvious #s

International travel for one.

A US documented vessel is recognized as such by other countries.

A state registered vessel may or may not be recognized by a visiting country and may not be allowed entry, depending on the laws of the country being visited.

has anyone ever actually heard first hand of this?

most countries don't seem to care if the document looks official. when we cruised the so pac we had a embossed boat stamp that we used on all our crew lists and docs we turned in... the "officials" always seemed to think the papers were of higher significance... best $ 75 bucks I ever spent!
HOLLYWOOD

Some place a hidden ID # on the boat along with the obvious #s

Thats what they do with Australian built boats. One obvious hull number and another hidden one. I still haven't found my second number plate.

Marine lenders will require documentation to finance a boat. When selling a documented boat the buyer or documentation agent can get an Abstract of Title for $25 from USCG showing if there are any recorded liens and a history of past owners.

most countries don't seem to care if the document looks official. when we cruised the so pac we had a embossed boat stamp that we used on all our crew lists and docs we turned in... the "officials" always seemed to think the papers were of higher significance... best $ 75 bucks I ever spent!
HOLLYWOOD

I don't know since we always traveled with USCG vessel doc and usually submitted quality copies. However when we checked in to Madagascar, they would only accept the original vessel doc, no copies or no check in.

HOLLYWOOD

Prior to the new computerized clearance system in Martinique (France) a US state registration was not accepted. 500 Euro fine for trying. The US documentation was closely inspected to determine if it was current.

Under the new system the customs and immigration employees have been replaced by store clerks rubber stamping computer printouts. Often wondered if I could clear in HMS Titanic and use a documentation number of 007.

Haven't seen anyone caught on this issue in Antigua but I would bet there is a significant fine for trying as Antigua seems to have a fine for everything and they are sticklers on the details.

St. Lucia and Grenada require a US documentation number but they have not required me to show them the actual coast guard certificate.

Back
Top Bottom