View Single Post
Old 04-07-2014, 09:51 AM   #14
hollywood8118
Guru

City: Port Townsend Washington
Vessel Name: " OTTER "
Vessel Model: Ocean Alexander Europa 40
Nordhavn did redesign the N46 back in around 2001.. they came up with the 43 and the 47.. both have the look that is now the nordhavn norm. The thing that makes the 46 still popular with the passage maker crowd is they are fuel efficient .. albeit a bit slow.

In the past couple years I have a lot of time in the N57.. my favorite nordhavn in the remotely obtainable category. I do not view the large interior volume as remotely unsafe in big sea conditions as Nordhavn has placed handholds to be able to get through the salon with ease. Not to mention is the fact that the larger boat takes larger seas much better than the smaller boat that some think would be ideal.

Most folks that want a passage maker wish to be aboard for long periods of time which also means the ability to carry more stores, gear, spares that the small boat cannot do.

Also keeping in mind that the livability at anchor is greatly enhanced with additional space and the ability to "get away" from other crew for some quiet time. Of course volume comes at a cost, in maintenance, docking,ability to get into small places.

The sad fact is that there is little money in sub 50' passage makers for manufacturers, and most folks that plan to do real blue water cruising in a power boat (think fuel cost) have the means to afford a larger boat.

Personally we fit into the brown area where we could afford the 57 and cruise her if we spent most of the time at anchor and we didn't have a dirt home.. but that is a no go for the Admiral.. she needs a place to feel she can return to and also keep her memories/photos and the thinks she holds dear far from the perils of the sea... me not so much.

In summary, if you want a sub 50' passage maker you need to build it up from a existing used boat and fit it to your specific needs.. and it will cost way less than a shorter new boat.

HOLLYWOOD
hollywood8118 is offline   Reply With Quote