Painting Moonstruck

The friendliest place on the web for anyone who enjoys boating.
If you have answers, please help by responding to the unanswered posts.

Moonstruck

Guru
Vessel Name
Moonstruck
Vessel Make
Sabre 42 Hardtop Express
One side of the hull is done other than buffing and polishing. The gold cove striping and boot striping are yet to be done.

Attachments

• 20140405_121906.jpg
    20140405_121906.jpg
    113.7 KB · Views: 222
Looks great!

Geeze, Don! How are we ever going to appreciate your paint job when all we can see is the reflection of our own dull, chalky vessels?:rolleyes:

It looks GREAT!!!!!!!! :thumb::thumb::thumb:

Where in the world is Moonstruck getting this very nice paint job?

Where in the world is Moonstruck getting this very nice paint job?

Photoshop...

Last I saw the boat waiting for paint was Cracker Boy in Ft Pierce, Fl...but an outsider I think does the painting....Don??????

Photoshop...

Last I saw the boat waiting for paint was Cracker Boy in Ft Pierce, Fl...but an outsider I think does the painting....Don??????

Yeah, Scott. No Photoshop. She is still at Cracker Boys. The only painting the yard does is bottom jobs which they will do when this is done. The paint is contracted to Roger Rucker who is an artist with Alexseal.

His is not a fast process. First he dewaxes and sands the hull to receive the primer. Then he applies a compatible high build primer. Then the real work starts. They sand on the primer for about a week to get it perfectly smooth. They then start applying multiple coats (up to 6) of the color. Then they spend several days buffing before applying sealer to protect the paint. So far 5 weeks and counting.

I'm waiting for HopCar to get off his duff, and send me the spot free rinse system.:hide::D We don't want any hard water touching that.

Last edited:
Yeah, Scott. No Photoshop. She is still at Cracker Boys. The only painting the yard does is bottom jobs which they will do when this is done. The paint is contracted to Roger Rucker who is an artist with Alexseal.

His is not a fast process. First he dewaxes and sands the hull to receive the primer. They he applies a compatible high build primer. Then the real work starts. They sand on the primer for about a week to get it perfectly smooth. They then start applying multiple coats (up to 6) of the color. Then they spend several days buffing before applying sealer to protect the paint. So far 5 weeks and counting.

I'm waiting for HopCar to get off his duff, and send me the spot free rinse system.:hide::D We don't want any hard water touching that.
So I hafta clean the tar and cinders off my fenders before we raft in the Bahamas? He better send some fender cleaner too!!!! :D

Thanks for the compliments, guys. It is still a work in progress. I can't take any credit except for researching the paint and applicator. Even Tucker Fallon (Yacht broker guy) checked with Bradford's paint man for me. I would stop by the yard and watch while Roger worked. I was impressed with his thoroughness. Don't worry. I didn't get too close to any actual work. That makes me break out in hives.:D

Don, The Boji water softeners should be in this week. Wouldn't take much to talk me into delivering one to Ft. Pierce personally! I'm headed to Punta Gorda today and on the way I'm going to deliver a Lehr outboard in Ft. Myers. I think I've figured a way to write off short vacations!

Don, The Boji water softeners should be in this week. Wouldn't take much to talk me into delivering one to Ft. Pierce personally! I'm headed to Punta Gorda today and on the way I'm going to deliver a Lehr outboard in Ft. Myers. I think I've figured a way to write off short vacations!

Parks, I expect no less than personal service. How long can I dock behind your store?

At first glance I thought you had painted the hull red and added outriggers!
Nice job!

That's it I'm not posting anymore pics of my roll and tip . How do you erase old pics . Man this looks really good .

That's it I'm not posting anymore pics of my roll and tip . How do you erase old pics . Man this looks really good .

PM, no need to hide from that roll and tip job. I have been watching how good it looks. Black is much less forgiving, so to make it look good it has to be near perfect. I have a problem with upgrades. I just can't help myself. I am having some new exhaust risers made. I just upgraded the material from 316 stainless to 25-6 MO.:banghead: Somebody get me some help.:eek:

Is that monel ?

Sweet paint job.

Pack Mule. I'm guessing Don means 254 SMO which is a 6 percent moly alloy.

I'm certainly not a metallurgist. It has much more nickel, and the warranty if 5 times longer. I'm probably just a sucker for something like that. I know that I don't want to have to replace them again.

Don
...Excellent job, pretty shinning,

Is it the Rainha Jannota fever?

Nope, I'm wrong. Don is right, it is a 25-6MO. Haven't used that one before. Looks very appropriate for an exhaust riser.

PS: MONEL is a brand name. Made by the same company.

Well, I hope you get it all done just right, Don. Then when you're finished with that Sabre and ready for something faster, I can buy it from you for a song...probably still tied up for free behind Parks' shop.

Real mirror like finish, just out of curiousity why the new to paint on what looks like a fairly new vessel?

Real mirror like finish, just out of curiousity why the new to paint on what looks like a fairly new vessel?

Good question. The black was gelcoat. The boat is approaching 10 years old this year. She has been in mostly Southern waters all that time. The sun really works on the black. The gelcoat was still OK, but getting harder and harder to buff and wax the way I wanted it. Paint is a less pourous surface than gelcoat. It is easier to take care of. It just seemed to be getting near the end of its cosmetic life. It should now just take a cleaning and application of sealer a couple of times a year.

Looks good Don! I would love to do that to mine, but I can buy a lot diesel and not have to worry every time I got within a 100 yards to anything!

Looks good Don! I would love to do that to mine, but I can buy a lot diesel and not have to worry every time I got within a 100 yards to anything!

Yeah, Scott mentioned rafting with scruffy fenders. :eek: I thought that was what dinghies are for.:D

We've gotten through so far without scratching her up. Hopefully, it will continue that way. However, a skilled painter can touch up Alexseal. One of the dock hand kids at St. Michaels Marina put a nasty scratch on the corner of my Mainship. It was painted with AwlCraft 2000. It touched up nicely.

"Parks, I expect no less than personal service. How long can I dock behind your store? "

When are you coming to Miami? I might arrange a special dockage rate. I usually just double the rate for TF members,

That looks great. I'm glad I'm not paying for it though. If I had a paint job like that I would rent the slip next to mine and keep the boat in the middle, away from both finger piers.

Back
Top Bottom