Getting Back to the Good Life

The friendliest place on the web for anyone who enjoys boating.
If you have answers, please help by responding to the unanswered posts.

Odyssea

Vessel Name
Odyssea
Vessel Make
''86 Albin Sundeck 43
Greetings from the Odyssea our '86 Albin 43 Sundeck presently laying on the hard finishing up extensive bottom peeling and refit. During the past 13 months we've been land-bound; now it's time to get back to the good life once again. We were live aboards for 4 years prior to going in the yard. The big slash will be in about 2 more weeks and we can hardly wait. Our present plans are to explore the Tennessee and Lake Tellico starting in May. After that hopefully we will be making our way south via the Keys and who knows where else. We are looking forward to making new friends, exchanging ideas and experiences.
Cheers,
Mike and Mercy Byrd

Greetings,
Welcome aboard. I can appreciate your anticipation to chill.

od.gif

Last edited:
Hello Odyssea, would love to see a few pics of your Albin. How has the peeling and refit gone? Was this a DIY or did you have a yard do it.

Bottom Peel

No way was this a DIY job nor would I ever recommend anyone other than a professional with years of experience ever attempting such a task. The drying process was very time consuming but with lots of patients it was done right. The yard is Lee Spry Marine located at The Port of Yellow Creek on the TomBigbee waterway.

There are a few adventurous souls on here who have done their own bottoms but I'm sure they have more skill then I'll ever have. Did you have lamination issues or just a good crop of those infernal blisters?

By the way, that's a beautiful looking ship! I note in your avatar there is what appears to be a sliding door near the rear port side, I'm used to seeing them near the front, where does this go to? Any pics of the interior layout?

I researched like crazy and the majority seemed to think hand grinding is one way to avoid prolonged drying because you are going deeper where there is damage/moisture....seemed to work for me but does require a lot of fairing if you care to get back to a factory look.

Greetings,
Welcome aboard. I can appreciate your anticipation to chill.

od.gif

That hound is Smokey. You may see him around Neyland Stadium on Ft. Loudoun Lake.

24smokey_t607.jpeg

Last edited:
Mike and Mercy,

Before going through the lock at Ft. Loudoun Dam, it is mandatory that you know all the verses of Rocky Top. After learning then demonstrate that you can stand on a table and sing it as loud as you can. They will then let you up to the holy land.:D

Go Dogs

Moonstruck Sorry this old Georgia Bulldog never learned the words to "Rocky Top"

Go Dogs

Attachments

• image.jpg
    image.jpg
    56.9 KB · Views: 193

Just a friendly word of advice. When you go up into Fort Loudoun Lake it would probably be a good idea to leave your "dog" at home.:D

Our Condolences

Thanks for the friendly advice. "UGA" will stay well clear, we certainly don't want him catching anything! Did they ever ever find a cure for Ole Smokey's condition? Hopefully he'll be able to show up for more SEC games this year.

Attachments

• image.jpg
    image.jpg
    22.2 KB · Views: 163
Back
Top Bottom